My Federal Sign and Signal Beacon Ray 174-A California Special

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Hello Fellow Collectors!

This time I have another great project I would like to share with you! I bought this 174-A with CAL steady red lamp a while back on E-bay. When I received it I was happy, but also disappointed. It was a 174-A with authentic Trippe light steady red as used by Federal (yes, Federal rebranded Trippe spotlamps to meet CA compliance) back in the day, but the spotlamp was half-assed mounted/bolted on the bottom base of the Beacon. Like someone was trying to meet CA compliance, but not worried about looks at all! I mean this thing was fugly looking, even pointing somewhat downward because of the angle of the bottom base. I think they actually hammered a nail or screw through the base to make the hole too! The base was hammered literally, LOL!

I knew this wasn't going to cut it for my standards. I liked the idea, but not the execution. So, I came up with an idea of making a stand of sorts. I wanted to use the original triangle mounting flange (I assume that it was the original one from an open cab type engine) the beacon was mounted to and somehow incorporate the spotlamp. I went to my machinist with my idea and this is what I ended up with. I replaced the beacon base and had it polished and rechromed, added a new red dome, powder coated the spotlamp and new pipe stand. Let me know what you think!

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_001_zpsc982f192.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_002_zps936773d4.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_004_zps6b1efc53.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_003_zpsb376a26b.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_005_zpsc9ed47d3.jpg

Thanks for looking and stay tuned.............!

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I'd buy that for a dollar!

... or a hundred! Turned out great!  Any before photos?

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Love it! Very unique, love the stand I could so imagine this on an open cab over apparatus. Great jpb!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Hello Fellow Collectors!

This time I have another great project I would like to share with you! I bought this 174-A with CAL steady red lamp a while back on E-bay. When I received it I was happy, but also disappointed. It was a 174-A with authentic Trippe light steady red as used by Federal (yes, Federal rebranded Trippe spotlamps to meet CA compliance) back in the day, but the spotlamp was half-assed mounted/bolted on the bottom base of the Beacon. Like someone was trying to meet CA compliance, but not worried about looks at all! I mean this thing was fugly looking, even pointing somewhat downward because of the angle of the bottom base. I think they actually hammered a nail or screw through the base to make the hole too! The base was hammered literally, LOL!

I knew this wasn't going to cut it for my standards. I liked the idea, but not the execution. So, I came up with an idea of making a stand of sorts. I wanted to use the original triangle mounting flange (I assume that it was the original one from an open cab type engine) the beacon was mounted to and somehow incorporate the spotlamp. I went to my machinist with my idea and this is what I ended up with. I replaced the beacon base and had it polished and rechromed, added a new red dome, powder coated the spotlamp and new pipe stand. Let me know what you think!

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_001_zpsc982f192.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_002_zps936773d4.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_004_zps6b1efc53.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_003_zpsb376a26b.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_005_zpsc9ed47d3.jpg

Thanks for looking and stay tuned.............!
Very nice, Eric, and you've put some work in it.  The 174s are my favorite of the Federal line.  I have a 174D on my ' 68 Olds ambulance.

I'm not sure I quite understand what you've done.  Was that pipe stanchion part of the original configuration, or something you've added. I've seen standard 174s as 174Cs, but not in the A base.  If someone had tried to put the red sealed beam on an A base, then I'd agree that it would've looked terrible.

Whatever, you've done a nice job with this one.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Very nice, Eric, and you've put some work in it.  The 174s are my favorite of the Federal line.  I have a 174D on my ' 68 Olds ambulance.

I'm not sure I quite understand what you've done.  Was that pipe stanchion part of the original configuration, or something you've added. I've seen standard 174s as 174Cs, but not in the A base.  If someone had tried to put the red sealed beam on an A base, then I'd agree that it would've looked terrible.

Whatever, you've done a nice job with this one.
Yes, someone mounted that light on that base, LOL! It was in use on an open cab type engine as far as i know. It had a shorter 1" pipe stand mounted to the original triangle base. I lengthened the pipe and added the spotlight below the beacon. I wanted to keep it as original as possible.

Reactions: Skip Goulet

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Yes, someone mounted that light on that base, LOL! It was in use on an open cab type engine as far as i know. It had a shorter 1" pipe stand mounted to the original triangle base. I lengthened the pipe and added the spotlight below the beacon. I wanted to keep it as original as possible.
If that was a stanchion-mount light originally, Eric, then it would've been almost impossible for it to have been a "C" light. If it was, the "C" light would've had to have been much smaller than what they usually used because of the shape of the "A" skirt and the pipe mount.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
If that was a stanchion-mount light originally, Eric, then it would've been almost impossible for it to have been a "C" light. If it was, the "C" light would've had to have been much smaller than what they usually used because of the shape of the "A" skirt and the pipe mount.
that's what I'm trying to tell you, this spot lamp was mounted to the bottom half of the 174-A shell when I got it. It also had stanchion-mount. Next time I will take a picture so you believe me. IT must have been an open cab type engine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Oh, I wouldn't doubt you, Eric.  It's just hard to imagine a concoction like that; but the tag does show the "C" designation on it, which was hard to understand.   As I've mentioned on other threads, Federal built almost anything anyone wanted, so I guess this one is no surprise.

I do like what you've done with the base and the back-to-back lights.

I would like to see what it looked like originally.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Oh, I wouldn't doubt you, Eric.  It's just hard to imagine a concoction like that; but the tag does show the "C" designation on it, which was hard to understand.   As I've mentioned on other threads, Federal built almost anything anyone wanted, so I guess this one is no surprise.

I do like what you've done with the base and the back-to-back lights.

I would like to see what it looked like originally.
well skip, the 174-A was never a California special. Federal did not build this one trust me. Someone mounted the spot lamp after the fact. It was the correct type of spot lamp though I will give it to them.

Reactions: Skip Goulet

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Wouldn't there be a photo on EBay somewhere in your bought section or might the seller have a photo if you still have that info?

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
well skip, the 174-A was never a California special. Federal did not build this one trust me. Someone mounted the spot lamp after the fact. It was the correct type of spot lamp though I will give it to them.
What made me think it was a CA special was that it shows 17C on the name tag.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Yes, the spotlamp is marked "CAL" for California. This spotlamp originally probably came from a 17-C beacon ray. The Beacon ray is just a plain 174-A.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Yes, the spotlamp is marked "CAL" for California. This spotlamp originally probably came from a 17-C beacon ray. The Beacon ray is just a plain 174-A.
OK, now I see. I didn't realize that I was looking at the spotlamp.  I thought it was the beacon tag I was seeing!    Getting blind in my old age. :crazy:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.