My FIRE BALL Family. Links to better Pics Added.

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
Hello All,

I have a new addition to my collection of Fire Balls. An original FB-1.

Heres the kicker, it came with 2 RARE domes.

1 CLEAR and 1 GREEN!!!

This addition rounds out my Fire Ball collection and I now own a Fire Ball in EVERY offered color, including 1 SPLIT RED/BLUE.

Enjoy!

ai839.photobucket.com_albums_zz312_ccr203_Fire_20Ball_20Family_IMG_20111111_102206.jpg

1) FB-1 in GREEN. 2) FB-1 in BLUE(later version,NON locking Bulb). 3)FB-1 w/ DARK RED dome. 4)FB-F, restored w/DARK RED dome. 5)FB11 CLEAR. 6) FBH11 in AMBER. 7) FBH11 in Split RED/BLUE.

All the domes are FEDERAL domes, having the F7 molded into them, with the exception of the original ruby red domes. These were not molded with the F7 like later domes were. Federal also changed the color of the red to a more cherry red when they began molding the F7 in red domes.

After receiving the FB-1 and seeing its condition, I have decided to return it to active duty as my throw light. I have current LED lighting on my vehicle, just no overhead lighting. The FB-1 will only be used when stationary on roadways. I have replaced the Green dome with a fair condition red dome. The original magnets were removed at some point and a modern round magnet added. The retaining band info plate is faded, readable but faded.

So all in all I am very happy. I am able to complete my Fire Ball collection and now get to use an original FB in the field.

Enjoy and as always comments are welcome.

Here is a link to better pics of them:

Fire Ball Family pictures by ccr203 - Photobucket

And the Flash Ball:

Flash Ball pictures by ccr203 - Photobucket

Last edited by a moderator:

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
Thanks for all the kind comments. I love these old lights.

I have been looking for the clear and green domes for some time.

I have always been a big fan of the Fire Ball. The quality of them is amazing. Things are not made to this standard any more. The newest date I can find any of mine is 1979 which is on a motor tag and yet all of them are still fully functional. That cannot be said of many things today.

These things were built to last!

Chris

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The FB and FB-11's were built to last. The FB-15... probably not as it was a cheap imitation of the classic teardrop design. As far as I know the FB-11, as the series A2, went out of production in 1992. Considering the FB started production in 1957, it's a long run for a particular type and style of beacon. There were only two major changes to the basic design during it's history, those were the switch from the open frame motor and metal gear to the can motor and friction drive and the replacement of the three small magnets to a single, large magnet all with the introduction of the FB-11 series A1 in 1976.

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
Where did you get that flashball? Looks like the one I sold on ebay a year or 2 ago.

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
ryan said:
Where did you get that flashball? Looks like the one I sold on ebay a year or 2 ago.

Ryan,

I bought it locally earlier this year. It did not have the correct label on it and the flasher was inoperable. I replaced the label with a reproduction from Cyril on the board, cleaned and restored the dome and band and replaced the flasher with a modern tall can flasher. I also had to replace the power cord with a spare I had from a parts FBH.

The good part of that deal was the orginal dark red dome and an additional blue dome that came with it.

Chris

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
They , in the 60's advertised a slpit ( front blue / rear red ), and I remember seeing catalog pics. About a year ago one, in rough shape went on eBay.

These would have been before Fed startes marking the domes.

fireball3

Oct 25, 2010
Lyon, France
dmathieu said:
They , in the 60's advertised a slpit ( front blue / rear red ), and I remember seeing catalog pics. About a year ago one, in rough shape went on eBay.
These would have been before Fed startes marking the domes.

it seemed to me that the split dome was manufactured, but I was not sure! So original! Thanks Dan

Cyril

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Not all Fireball/Flashball domes are marked "F7". Early production domes had no markings.

Fireball

May 14, 2011
France / PARIS
fireball3 said:
Chris, this is not what he means!, The member "fireball" says that the split dome is not manufactured and referenced by Federal Signal, therefore, it is not original! :)

Cyril

absolutely :yes:

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
fireball3 said:
Chris, this is not what he means!, The member "fireball" says that the split dome is not manufactured and referenced by Federal Signal, therefore, it is not original! :)

Cyril

OK, well if anyone knows if Federal Signal used to make custom domes like this that info would be helpful. It looks like it was made at the factory, not hacked in someone's garage.

I never found any info on split dome colors for Fire Balls in any of the old FS catalogs.

Would FS cut domes custom split for quantity orders? I do know they did offer other split domes, like the 184 and 17 series so FS did have the knowledge and ability to split their domes. So it would stand to reason that this being from the same time period(this dome came on a FBH11) FS could have made this dome.

If anyone knows of FS doing split domes for the Fire Ball series please comment.

So many unknowns surround this dome

:confused:

Chris

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I remember that , at one time, Federal offered a Blue front / red rear split Fire Ball dome during the FB1 era. The only one that I have ever seen, other than old SaSo catalogs, is the one that was on eBay about a year ago. It was in pretty rough shape, so I passed on it. Should have grabbed it! That is the only split that I've ever seen offered for this light, and I've never seen one for the FB11 era..

Then You posted pictures of yours. Beautiful dome!!!

Dan

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.