My First Emergency Light

Feb 16, 2013
Idaho
I stumbled across this old Ebay posting for a Vintage Equality Roto-Flasher Emergency Light. This photo looks to be the same as my very first emergency light. I ordered it from a Johnson Smith novelty catalog. There were two versions. One that ran on C or D cell batteries and this one that plugged into the cigarette lighter. It came with red, amber and blue domes. The blue dome looked more purple to me. The suction cup base was not very reliable as I recall. The light was only as bright as a flashlight (not as bright as real emergency lights of the day). I think I bought mine in the late 1970's or early 1980's. Does anyone else remember this light?

Attachments

• Vintage-Equality-Roto-Flasher-Emergency-Light.jpg
    Vintage-Equality-Roto-Flasher-Emergency-Light.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 36

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Yup, there are many different versions out there. Common Mart sold light, late 60s 70s.
I've thought of making a collection of this type light in its different brands, versions, and variations. There were so many out there. You can find them easily on ebay, and relatively inexpensive too.

I tried to figure out how to mount one on my mom's (now mine--restored) '61 Oldsmobile Starfire sometime in the mid '60s. Cig plug and red dome (cops in KY hadn't yet changed to blue). Nostalgic trip down Memory Lane (in my case, a short drive to Half-heimers Blvd. aka CRS).

bmd224

Nov 3, 2011
NE Kansas
I see them on eBay and at flea markets from time to time. Are you wanting to buy one? If so I'm guessing they're $5-$8 without the box at flea markets, & if you want me to I'll pick one up for you.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I had one of these when I first started driving. It actually put it on my 1953 Willis Jeep. Lol.. I was just a want-a-be then. It was made by Medallion, I still remember the little auto parts place I bought it at. When I became the real deal I moved up to a Smith & Wesson L-11 pancake that came from the JC Penney catalog.... Lol... Still have it too.

DSC_0591 (Medium).JPG

Reactions: tsquale
May 21, 2010
Western Montana
Yes, I attached one with the enclosed bracket to the front of my Sting Ray (with a tiger patterned banana seat no less!) and cruised around the neighborhood responding to "emergencies." Got a second one and attached it to the top of an extended sissy bar for dual effect--muy cool. The seeds were planted early for this quirky hobby!

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
We need to start a thread for vintage novelty lights or lesser emergency lights. I have a few of them.

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
Yes, Johnson Smith. Battery powered.
The suction cup was replaced with a piece of 2x4 which placed the light steadily above the lip of my wagon.
I don't remember what happened to it. I did get another a few years ago.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I got my first 'emergency lights' when I was ten years old. One was a Royal "Reflexscope" and the other was an Ash Flash "Blinker Lantern". Both were shaped like flat top beacons and had red domes with flashlight lenses to the front and blinking lights in the rear. The flash effect looked rather lame, but they were good enough for make-believe play.:)

Almost ten years later I had one of those battery operated Roto Flashers like the one mentioned in this thread. It had an amber dome. I was playing with a rock band at the time and I had a mic stand that could hold two mics. I mounted my vocal mic on the tilting boom and the Roto Flasher on the straight stem. I liked to run the Roto Flasher whenever I played a guitar solo.:D

Reactions: Skulldigger

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
We used to have so many of these. They were only a few bucks. I remember a model that took 2 D batteries and had a black sliding switch for power. They were great for our bicycles.

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
Yes ! This was the first light I ever cannibalized ! Removed the suction cup and replaced it with 3 mini magnets I broke off one of those mini car flashlights that were sold at the time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.