MY Install thread

Eman510

May 23, 2010
Hey everyone, i been on this forum for quite awhile, somehow it keeps moving and moving or closing. So finally ive decided to join and put up pictures AND VIDS of my assigned installs. Enjoy

charlie82

May 21, 2010
PA / USA
I think that the Tahoe could use alot more upper level frontal warning. Also, these flash patterns seem way too slow. Does this unit clear traffic well?

Eman510

May 23, 2010
Yea we havnt had any complaints from the dept. All the flash patterns are set on triple flash. I used my cell cam so its not gona capture little details.

Eman510

May 23, 2010
We used par 36 from brooking ind. and the headlights are pointed at a 45* degree for side visibility, but like i said cam is of low quality =/

Carlsson

Jun 4, 2010
Norway
HPD84 said:
hmm,looking good why in Cali. some Police Vehicles have amber/blue to the rear and all have red steady burn to the front?

I'll jump in.

This is for europe though, the amber have better warning effect than blue, some southern european countries the fire/ems services use solid amber.

In Sweden they use the red steady burn with a flashing blue (cali. mode) on traffic stops only. This to indicate that they want you to stop, not just pull over. Ticket served :x

In Norway, where I'm from, some police vehicles have amber in both front and rear on their lightbars. To be used when there's no emergency, etc.

Both amber/blue in the rear gives better visability in any weather.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
HPD84 said:
hmm,looking good why in Cali. some Police Vehicles have amber/blue to the rear and all have red steady burn to the front?

Cal law says a steady burn red must be lit on the front of the car (visible for 500 ft min, I think) for it to be considered an emergency vehicle. They also have a law saying a siren can not cycle faster than 250 a min, so no phaser/priority. Wail, yelp, and y-249 only.

Jun 8, 2010
Indonesia Java
RL1 said:
They also have a law saying a siren can not cycle faster than 250 a min, so no phaser/priority. Wail, yelp, and y-249 only.

That is CRAZY.....why would they even be concern on how fast the siren cycle??

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Thats right. The also cant have a hi low tone. You only need one steady red burning light foward to get CHP aproved. The say a lady once sued the State saying she didnt see the blinking light in her rvm since the light was sync with her eye blinking. The law I think is stupid they dont need 360 like NY. You can see Detective cars with just a steady red and wig wags.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I can't find the exact code, but below is a snip it about the red lamp. Also, Hi-Lo isn't allowed and you can't use the air horn on the siren when it is emitting a tone.

21806. Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency

vehicle which is sounding a siren and which has at least one lighted

lamp exhibiting red light that is visible, under normal atmospheric

conditions, from a distance of 1,000 feet to the front of the

vehicle, the surrounding traffic shall...

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Sry VOLEMS, didn't see you had put something about hi-lo already. Also, there's a law saying fire engines can run code back to the station...

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Dont know about the air horn. I was just in CA and they use the air horn tone . They also use the Q a lot over there.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I have never seen or heard of fire engines running code back to the station. What I do know is LAFD doesnt even run code to every call. they respond cold a lot.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
They can use the air horn, just not supposed to use the air horn function on a siren when it's running (tones are supposed to be un-interrupted). There's nothing I've seen or heard of anything saying an actual air horn can't be used, and was told you can use a Q since it's pretty much wail.

I know no fd's run code to the station, just saying it's in the books to show how things are weird there. I've also seen LAPD using phaser/priority, though that's a 'no-no'.

If you look at a CHP car, you will notice they have at least one steady burn red to the front, usually with wig-wags and some slow flashing red led's. The reason they don't use corner strobes is because they flash too quickly for their laws. Tons of places will use them, but, once again, it's not officially allowed.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I rode in a certified CHP ems car and it has corner strobes. CHP has to inspect all Emergency Vehicles in CA. An ambulace is regulated as to how many white lights it can have . I think only 2 besides the HLF.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
My advice is to either switch the flash pattern to one with a steady red, or if there isn't one, just get a red Code 3 Deckblaster halogen, with a cigarette plug and a steady/off switch and no flash mode. Pretty cheap, too, and I'm reasonably sure it'll satisfy the steady-red requirement. (The light must be visible 1000 feet in front of the vehicle, and I'm pretty sure it's bright enough for that)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.