My Last Install

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
This is my current ride at work. I've held off posting pictures and videos as I've never completely finished it. I'm due for a new car next year and don't know if I'll ever get my fine tuning done.

We've had a change in administration and I won't be building cars any more. Instead, I'm writing an SOP for all the patrol cars.

Overall, I'm very happy with the setup. There are some things I would tweak (like running all the push bumper lights off a ULF-44 and swapping the colors of the LINZ6's) but overall, I think it's the most effective setup I've run. I like the multiple modes based on what's going on and the rear setup while simple is amazingly effective.

This is the equipment:

Front

Whelen Inner Edge (run off 2 ULF-44's)

Whelen Mirror Beams

Sound Off Undercover LED Inserts

Sound Off Headlight Flasher

Go Rhino Push Bumper with:

4 Whelen Series 500 Super LEDs

Rear

Fed Sig LED Traffic Advisor

Whelen Talon CHMSL Unit

2 Whelen Series 500 Super LED's

2 Whelen M4's

Side

Whelen Avengers

Sound Off Work Lights

2 Whelen LINZ-6's on sides of push bumper

Electronics

Whelen CenCom w/ TA board

Motorola Spectra Mobile

Stalker DSR 2x RADAR

ICOP In-Car Video System

Wilson Sleek Cell Phone Booster

Misc

Jotto Desk Contour Console

Recessed Prisoner Transport Cage

Transport Seat

Scoche MP3 Input

Big Sky Rifle Rack

Modified Santa Cruz Shotgun Lock

Full Width Trunk Slide-Out

Photos

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2010_20Install_2010_frontMedium.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2010_20Install_2010_driv_quarterMedium.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2010_20Install_2010_pass_quarterMedium.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2010_20Install_2010_driv_sideMedium.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2010_20Install_2010_pass_sideMedium.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2010_20Install_2010_rearMedium.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2010_20Install_2010_push_bumperMedium.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2010_20Install_2010_interior_drivMedium.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2010_20Install_2010_consoleMedium.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2010_20Install_2010_console_passMedium.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2010_20Install_2010_cellMedium_1.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2010_20Install_2010_dashMedium.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2010_20Install_2010_shotgunMedium.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2010_20Install_2010_rifleMedium.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2010_20Install_2010_cage_sideMedium.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2010_20Install_2010_cage_frontMedium.jpg

Video

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2010_20Install_th_patrol_car.jpg

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
Misc Comments:

At this point, I’ve probably built a dozen vehicles for work and this one, mine for the next two years, has fought me more than anything else I’ve built. It’s taken twice as long as normal to build it but it has turned out nicely.

Before the pictures and details, I built the vehicle with these ideas in mind:

1) Front lights send a different message from rear lights

2) When the vehicles moving a different message needs to be sent

3) Lights should define width or “footprint” of the vehicle

4) You should mix super and linear LEDs (1/3 Super, 2/3 Linear)

5) Slower flash patterns work better

6) Light heads should be on three levels and you don’t need a lot (no more than 4)

7) No flashing white lights when parked

8) Steady burns work

9) Flashing lights need some space between them to be most effective.

10) Lots of white light to the front for traffic stops.

These ideas are shamelessly stolen from this board, my experience, and other studies I’ve read, most notably the Florida HP work.

I had budget concerns with this vehicle, so a lot of gear has been recycled. My main goal was to get rid of all the non-LED lighting to make the wiring easier. In the vein of making the wiring easier, I used seven conductor (14 gauge) trailer wire to make my life easier. While big, it worked great because I only had to run one or two wires and still had empty circuits for future tweaks.

The Inner Edge

This is a recycle piece that is no longer manufactured by Whelen, having been replaced by the thinner TIR models. I originally bought this because I wanted takedown lights but the factory takedown lights aren’t that impressive. I wanted to have better takedowns and also have the pattern change when the vehicle is parked versus when it is moving. To improve the takedowns, I replaced the split red/blue center flasher with a solid white module.

For the flash patterns, I gutted the interior of the bar. I disconnected all of the hots going to the heads and attached them to a ULF-44 and left the factory grounds attached. To my surprise and chagrin this didn’t work. Apparently, the bar’s flasher is negatively switched so I had to run grounds as well.

Since I wanted the clear LED module to flash and steady burn, I decided it would be easier to run it off of an external flasher as well. It is now connected to a ULF-44 as well. While the LED isn’t a perfect takedown light, it is much better than the factory takedowns. It may not illuminate the interior of a vehicle but it does blind really well.

Rear Lights

I really like the Super LED’s that Whelen manufactures. For raw brightness, they are much brighter than the linear heads. I wanted to mix and match the two heads. To this end the Super’s and the M4’s flash in an “X” pattern at 75 fpm. This seems to work really well for rear lighting that just needs to communicate the presence of a parked vehicle. There is also enough "space" between the lights to really make them stand out.

I believe that traffic advisors can help and have had them on my last three vehicles. The Fed Sig unit is on it’s third or fourth install but it works. I actually bought and had to return a Whelen InnerEdge traffic advisor but returned it once I found out how many outlets it required on the Cencom. I ended up ordering a Cencom with a traffic advisor module and wired the Fed Sig into it.

Code3EMT

Jun 16, 2010
California
Looks great. I couldn't agree more with most of your rules. We're required to run solid reds in CA, but we run solid red and blues.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Never mind that, what's the rationale behind so much firepower ? :shock:

Is AQ expected to attack the park any minute ? :?

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
TheGatekeeper said:
Heh, so much? Most rural/highway/etc PD carry that on standard patrol here in Ontario, Canada as well..

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
TheGatekeeper said:
Is AQ expected to attack the park any minute ? :?
You're a lot further away from backup in the woods, especially when the local PD has no idea where anything in the Park other than the main parking lot is. BTDT.

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
ISU_Cyclone said:
What is the theory behind "DUI Mode"???

The District where I work has a fair bit of traffic. It isn't much of an option to just drop all of the front lights. The DUI mode is hopefully enough light to ID the vehicle as a stationary emergency vehicle but not interfere with field sobriety tests.

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
Never mind that, what's the rationale behind so much firepower ?

Firepower? - there's just a shotgun and patrol rifle. I've carried a patrol rifle since 1997 or so. Firepower would be something belt fed that requires several people to carry. :)

Believe it or not, U.S. Park Ranger is considered the most dangerous job in Federal law enforcement. Our assault rate is way higher than any other Federal agency and slightly higher than than for state/local agencies.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
John Hearne said:
Firepower? - there's just a shotgun and patrol rifle. I've carried a patrol rifle since 1997 or so. Firepower would be something belt fed that requires several people to carry. :)

Believe it or not, U.S. Park Ranger is considered the most dangerous job in Federal law enforcement. Our assault rate is way higher than any other Federal agency and slightly higher than than for state/local agencies.

I hear you... Definitely surprising for a European, as we'd expect this kind of gear to be the fact of suburban SDs, but not Park Ranger. Well, thanks for the clarification.

Nice ride nevertheless ! ;)

cory y

May 21, 2010
not only that but foresty service, park rangers, or game enforcers, most of the time the guys they are contacting are always armed! and often with more powerful weapons

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
+1 one DNR/Park guys having a rough crowd to work with. Go to officer.com and you will see articles from some of the 4 or 5 wildlife officers killed in the past few weeks.

And good looking car.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
John Hearne said:

I concur! I've seen (and upfitted) more firepower on vehicles destinated for So Calif cities. One in particular had two 870's (one for beanbag), one AR-15, and one scoped rifle which the name escapes me. Bank of America Shootout anyone?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Slow steady flash pattern are great... nice install!

Code3EMT

Jun 16, 2010
California
North Hollywood Shootout. If you go out there, there are still holes from the rounds in the walls and more permanent structures surrounding the bank.

We carry Remington 870's (With the less lethal orange grips) and Ruger Mini-14's. Some officers carry there own shotguns, but even more have their own long guns. Mainly AR's and M4's.

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
Nice set up...! It's good to see another Park Ranger on the forum and one that does up his own vehicle. I look at it as another $2500 I get to put toward equipment that I won't have to spend on the install (and our budget for vehicles is little; the Superintendent is VERY anti Law Enforcement). I just outfitted my 2010 Expedition in September and kept her unmarked. A couple of faults I need to change on it that are becoming obvious now that it's getting darker earlier (I need more white lights up front; the Inner Edge TD's and High Beams aren't enough).

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
TACKLEBERRY said:
A couple of faults I need to change on it that are becoming obvious now that it's getting darker earlier (I need more white lights up front; the Inner Edge TD's and High Beams aren't enough).

The only LED takedowns that I've seen and would classify as really impressive are the 12 LED modules for the Liberties. We've refitted our cars with these and are very happy. The best thing I've found is that passenger's side spotlight. I park with a pretty good offset and it simply stays aimed ahead. One of my unfinished projects is to control the spotlight from the Cencom. Right now, I just reach across to turn it on. I've been working a lot of day shifts so it isn't that inconvenient.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
You guys are still called Park Rangers? Out here they get mad and deffensive with that name, they are now Park Police. I like the setup also, nice job with that. Are you assigned to one specific park or do you go to different ones?

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
theroofable said:
You guys are still called Park Rangers? Out here they get mad and deffensive with that name, they are now Park Police. I like the setup also, nice job with that. Are you assigned to one specific park or do you go to different ones?

Oh boy... this is a sensitive topic and could be discussed in a thread all to it's self. There are still 'Park Rangers' in NJ out at Sandy Hook. We're all federal LEO's with the National Park Service. A lot of states have started renaming their Park Rangers Park Police due to officer safety issues amoung other reasons. We'll never see that day because the National Park Service also has U.S. Park Police in the DC, NY and CA area. Due to the traditions and the big heads of the U.S. Park Police they'll never combine the two. There are rumors (and that's all they are) is they're eventually going to combine Forest Rangers (once Forest Service gets picked up by Interior), Fish and Wildlife Refuge Officers, BLM Rangers, and U.S. Park Rangers all into DOI Law Enforcement. I'll never see the day but it's a nice dream.

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
Nice work, but I would change the CHMSL talon to a slow back and fourth pattern.
The CHMSL is there for when the trunk is raised. The Super LED's and M4's are so bright that you never see the Talons at distance. My thought was that if flash them simultaneously, it would be hard to stand in front of both at the same time.

FWIW, the original plan was to wire them into the ULF-44 running the other rear lights but I decided I'd "do it later" and it hasn't happened.

FDNY 10-75

May 24, 2010
NY
I see, nice setup but it just seems like the back is too busy. Wiring everything to a slower pattern on the ULF-44 might help. ;)

May 22, 2010
Central WV
I thought that having that many warning lights on the car was going to be too busy, but it loos really great! I really like the mix of equipment you used.

Only thing I would do is add some LED Inserts to the brake lights to mark the outer edges of the rear end of your vehicle better. Just my opinion though. :)

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
I agree about something in the brake lights to define the width of the vehicle. I personally think traffic backers are good enough and done installs were I synched the rear deck lights with the traffic backer.

I even had one on order when I built the car. The problems was that by the time they arrived from Canada, I had the full width slideout and accessing the wires was going to be a major pain so I skipped it. The specs for our new vehicles take care of this.

wduda152

Jun 5, 2010
Binghamton, NY
I'm glad you put colored lenses on the lightheads, especially the ones mounted on the trunk. It looks a little more inconspicuous with the colored lenses on rather than clear, despite the popular belief.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.