My "new 25RWL"

BraniffLights

Aug 5, 2017
Atlanta, Ga
Hey guys, Im a rookie member and this is actually my second post, but I have been enjoying the content here on the site. Just got my second bar today a 25RWL or at least what is left of it. From what I can tell so far the rotators and "area" (takedown?) lights have been removed and replaced with silly little strobes. One set of mirrors have been flipped to point back, and I'm missing one manufacturer tag. Looking at the one tag that is there, it looks different than many I have seen pictured on others? Any background on that?
I will post more pictures after i get the domes off. Speaking of dome removal............I have removed the tag bolts on the end caps.....is there any other trick to removing the end caps and the rest of the dome?
Needless to say I will be looking for a lot of parts....hopefully its salvagable.

Attachments

• 25 RWLI 1.JPG
    25 RWLI 1.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 22
  • 25 RWLI 2.JPG
    25 RWLI 2.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 25 RWLI 3.JPG
    25 RWLI 3.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 25 RWLI 4.JPG
    25 RWLI 4.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 21

BraniffLights

Aug 5, 2017
Atlanta, Ga
Yeah man it gets worse.....hide the children this gets ugly................Im sure Ill be banned for posting these images!
Ok now to go on the parts hunt............."Yes I will take two of everything"-----but at least the lenses are "salvagable". UGH

Attachments

• 25 RWLI 5.JPG
    25 RWLI 5.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 25 RWLI 6.JPG
    25 RWLI 6.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 25 RWLI 7.JPG
    25 RWLI 7.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 56

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
Looks to be a 25RWLI2 based on the red panels on the domes (i.e. the version w independent rotators and metal reflector worklights and flashers (vs sealed beam)). While I owned one of these at one point, I can't remember what the tag read. If a stamped metal tag I'd expect it to read 25RWL or 25RWLI. If a printed label tag, it could just read ADL without specifying the model... with the newer model Aeros Federal used more generic tags.

Your's looks to be missing the metal reflector flashers and worklights (replaced w those non-stock lollipops). The cascade mirrors should point backwards on both sides (to give rear warning, where it was most needed on tow trucks). As for what else you need, it's hard to say without seeing internal pics.

Here's the FS parts diagram:

If you unscrewed the the retainer screws from the ends, the domes should come free. Sometimes the gasket has adhered itself to the dome, though, and it takes some effort to free the domes.

**Edit** While I was writing the above you posted internal pics. I think you have the correct driver and passenger side mirrors, you just need to reorient the passenger side mirror to "mirror" the driver's side. And you obviously need two indy rotators in addition to the worklights/reflectors.

And to totally throw a loop into this, the base plate looks to be for a 25 geared Aero, not any of the Towman's models... so a Frankenbar all around.

Last edited:
Reactions: BraniffLights
Jun 18, 2013
PA
o_O

Where to begin with this one.
The tag should read RWLI or RWLI2. Going by domes I would agree that its for the later series 2 wrecker bars.

Looking at the base.. its most definitely a model 25 base.

On the plus side, you have a nice starting point to go in any direction you want.

If you want to make it a model 25, your going to need a motor and drivecage.
The drive cage mounting studs. And then 10 rotators with reflectors, and then another 8-10 idler gears with their respective mounting studs.

If you want to make this an RWLI.. you can start by reversing the one mirror as @gtpts27 stated. Then acquiring 2 Aerohawk rotators. Then an additional 2 front facing Par36 Stationary reflectors, and 4 rear facing par36 reflectors.

I might be able to help you on either path you choose, or at least point you in the right direction of someone who has parts.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Ok I am gonna summon a bunch of members to this thread.
After speaking with @BraniffLights he wants to reproduce an RWL or RWLI or RWLI2 series bar.
He is going to need parts. Some I have, most I do not.
So I am summoning anyone I think may be of some help here.
@empire5150 , @Pete L. , @gtpts27 , @toyotafan , @wolfman

There are a few others that I apologize, but I know by real names and I can't for the life of me remember the MW names.

@BraniffLights reach out to these members if they can help you.

Rob

CAPTAIN 58

Feb 10, 2017
Drexel hill pa
Guys you all are the best! Will continue this adventure to right the wrong!
Well.... I mean at least you have a frame and some lenses, if you're going to rebuild it using Quality Parts might I recommend parts from the dollar store. They are at least a higher quality than what was recently in there

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
Someone needs their tools taken away....Im horrified that anyone would do that to ANY bar....

I mean, I retrofit bars, but if that ever left my bench, i'd consider submitting myself for a psychological evaluation...

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
You should have seen my face when I started looking at it..........disgusting
tenor.gif

Pretty much what my reaction would be too if I seen that.

BraniffLights

Aug 5, 2017
Atlanta, Ga
OK guys another update:
Thanks to the awesome help here I may have a game plan on what to do-how to tackle this thing!
Finished "tearing down" (cleaning off) the Model 25 plate this weekend. I wondered if when the little rotators were installed if the Aero Model plate had been removed since I didn't see it.
When I went to remove the rotators I found they had been affixed to the plate by magnets that were glued to the plate....
After cleaning off one side of the plate, I flipped it over and there was the builders plate, as well as the SAE and Patent sticker.
Before and after Pictures attached. So at least I have a good Model 25 AeroDynic plate!

Attachments

• Before Bottom magnets Plate.JPG
    Before Bottom magnets Plate.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Before closeup.JPG
    Before closeup.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Clean Plate.JPG
    Clean Plate.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 10

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
Ouch. When I was cleaning out the department, I found a Twin with....code 3 rotators. I have not opened it up yet, but I call it Young Frankenstein. B/C it is Abby Normal.

• Haha

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
Ouch. When I was cleaning out the department, I found a Twin with....code 3 rotators. I have not opened it up yet, but I call it Young Frankenstein. B/C it is Abby Normal.
At least they were Rotators from a bar, not 2 hacked dollar store reject throwaway lights!

Jun 18, 2013
PA
well on the plus side you have a model 25 confirmed.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.