My New Federal Sign and Signal Model VB-1 Visi-bar Custom Reproductions

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Hello fellow enthusiasts!

This time I have something exciting to share with you! This project has been in the works for over one year now. How many times have you tried to find a Visi-bar that is in mint condition and come to find out when you receive it, it has minor dings in the stainless cover?! For a perfectionist like me that just isn't good enough! On the other hand, when are you gonna find a NOS Visi-bar (I have a couple NOS ones)??? Either way it's difficult to find one that is near perfect without ANY dings, dents or extra holes!

So, to solve this problem I took upon the challenge to make my own reproductions. After all, these things aren't rocket science, just a aluminum bar with stainless cover, LOL! Now, to get this cleared up from the beginning, I am not trying to reproduce the "model 11" Visi-bar. Federal offered the Visibar model "VB-1", which was just the bar itself. This way it was up to the end user to mount whatever he/she needed. Federal had a wide selection of brackets for their lights and sirens to fit the VB-1.

I started out at a metal shop that specialized in forming/bending stainless steel sheet metal. I had them make the covers out of a slightly thicker gauge metal than the original Federal ones because I wanted to get them mirror polished. In my previous experience polishing Federal Visi-bars, I noticed it was hard to keep the sheet metal from becoming "wavy". This happens because of the high heat produced during polishing. Thin metal and high heat don't mix well.

Next, I bought some square aluminum tubing at the local metal supply and took them to the machine shop. There I had the bars machined with the required holes and slots. Then I took both the bars and covers to the polisher to be mirror polished. The cover was completely polished. I only had the bottom side (exposed side where the slots are) of the bar polished.

Here are pictures of the finished products. The covers are still wrapped in the white protective plastic. Not all covers and bars are drilled yet, as the projects are still undecided. I do have two complete though, one of which is the polished one in the pictures. You will soon see this bar in one of my projects! Let me know what you think!

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_003_3_zps3830c4d2.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_002_4_zps5d2e9043.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_VISIBARR5_zps2d99869c.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_006_2_zps86d2b1cd.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_004_3_zpsa07a6139.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_007_2_zpsc01138e1.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_001_1_zps10a36608.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_008_1_zps3f9a35c4.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_009_1_zpsb146d7ee.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_010_2_zps06bd9552.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_012_2_zpsca060596.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_VISIBARR11_zps1e669afb.jpg

Thanks for looking and as always, stay tuned........!

Last edited by a moderator:

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Eric,

you are truly awesome and never cease to amaze me! :) :thumbsup: :hail:

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Thank you to all for the comments! I thought about selling these, but it just wouldn't be profitable enough. No chains for these bars Maxim!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Very nice, Eric. I like the depth of the bar compared to others I've seen. Is it just me.....but is your bar a bit heavier than others. Just from the fotos it appears to be a bit too heavy to use on a vehicle roof. Otherwise....extremely well done!

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Skip Goulet said:
Very nice, Eric. I like the depth of the bar compared to others I've seen. Is it just me.....but is your bar a bit heavier than others. Just from the fotos it appears to be a bit too heavy to use on a vehicle roof. Otherwise....extremely well done!

skip, depth? Everything is EXACTLY the same as Federal except for the guage sheet metal which is only a couple guages thicker. Weight is not noticeably heavier.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I would think Eric's bar would be a little heavier, but probably by no more than a few ounces and not enough to affect mounting on a vehicle.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
stansdds said:
I would think Eric's bar would be a little heavier, but probably by no more than a few ounces and not enough to affect mounting on a vehicle.

lol, come on you guys, i used the exact same aluminum bar federal used but went with a slightly thicker stainless sheet metal. We're talking about ounces here, lol! Wait till you guys see whats going on the bar!!!!!!!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
ERIC6913 said:
skip, depth? Everything is EXACTLY the same as Federal except for the guage sheet metal which is only a couple guages thicker. Weight is not noticeably heavier.

Thanks, Eric. That's what I was trying to say....about the gauge of the sheet metal. It looks thicker and may be wonder about the weight.

JGibson28

Sep 28, 2013
Brandon, Florida
Hey Eric:

I would be interested in buying one of your new Federal Visabar Beacon Ray light bar reproduction sleeves all polished of course with the two holes and gromets etc. Eric are you still selling them sir? I am trying to restore my Visibar and if you could possibly tell me how to remove the lights on the aluminum bar without messing it all up and disconnecting the chain etc. that would be a huge help as well sir. I am in Brandon, Florida and love what I have seen that you have made!!! How much with shipping to Zip Code 33511? Thanks for your time!!! -John

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.