My new Take Home 2007 CVPI

tiawah466

May 24, 2010
Rogers County, Oklahoma
Now that I have become a full time Deputy I have a take home car. Its a 2007 CVPI, right now all it has is a 45" Legend, Smart Siren, Wig-Wag, and some Sho-Me microlights on the rear deck.

Pretty much the only thing that is staying is the Legend bar. I am going to swap the Smart Siren for a Unitrol Touchmaster Delta with the dual mode amp modification. Basically this is a UTMD slaved with a 80K amplifier. 400 watts of Unitrol. The Rumbler from my Tahoe will be going in. On the rear deck I am going to add a pair of red/blue dual Vipers either side of the 3rd brake light. The tint is very dark on this car so I will probably do a cut-out for them. On the dash I am going to put 1 red dual Viper and 1 blue dual viper. The mirrors will be getting a set of the Soundoff Interesctors on them. I am adding a push bumper and it will have a set of KC Daylighters on it, and a pair of red/blue dual chameleons on the front and a pair on the side. I have several sets of red/blue Led hideaways that will be going in different spots, probably the front corners and the reverse lights. 6 head 90 watts strobe kit to be added somewhere, and also a taillight flasher. I am planning on getting one of the Whelen LED upgrades for the spotlight at some point in time also.

The small Jotto Desk console that is in it now will be replaced with a larger one. It has one VHF radio right now and I will be adding a Motorola CDM 1550 to it as a secondary radio. A Uniden BCT15 will be added also. My Toughbook will be on a docking station mounted to a Ram Mount laptop stand. I will make a Rifle/Shotgun mount for the rear of the passenger seat for my Rock River AR-15 and my FN SLP shotgun.

I should be able to pick the car up today or tomorow to start work on it. I will post up the in progress photos as I go. Here is what it looks like outside the Sheriffs Office right now.

ai153.photobucket.com_albums_s211_tiawah466_98cd66b1.jpg

ai153.photobucket.com_albums_s211_tiawah466_224683a5.jpg

ai153.photobucket.com_albums_s211_tiawah466_3eb8e922.jpg

cory y

May 21, 2010
Dont put a Taillight flasher and a hideaway in the same light housing... they wash each other out

tiawah466

May 24, 2010
Rogers County, Oklahoma
cory y said:
Dont put a Taillight flasher and a hideaway in the same light housing... they wash each other out

I was planning on putting the LED hideaways in the reverse lights, and just have the taillight flasher on the taillights. More than likely I won't even put in the taillight flasher and I will just go with all hideaways in the rear, some strobe and some LED.

cory y

May 21, 2010
taillight flashers usually just alternate the Backups vs the brake lights...

If you put strobes in the taillights, use the Lower unused portion of the lights, and if you put 2 tubes in each light (the housing has 2 unused spots in each housing) the light will be nice and bright,.

also are you putting 2 full dual vipers on the Dash itself?

I dont know if you have radar and a camera, but that dash would be getting too cluttered for my tastes...

tiawah466

May 24, 2010
Rogers County, Oklahoma
cory y said:
taillight flashers usually just alternate the Backups vs the brake lights...

If you put strobes in the taillights, use the Lower unused portion of the lights, and if you put 2 tubes in each light (the housing has 2 unused spots in each housing) the light will be nice and bright,.

also are you putting 2 full dual vipers on the Dash itself?

I dont know if you have radar and a camera, but that dash would be getting too cluttered for my tastes...

I am planning on putting 2 of them on the dash, I don't have a camera but I do have to add a radar. The radar is a Decatur Genesis II with a remote head so the remote can go pretty much anywhere.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
2 dual Vipers on dash?

What's the rationale behind it? (I'm a bit like Cory, I like my dashboard as clean as possible)

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
I would suggest not putting them on the dash The legend is already bright enough and the vipers will only get in the way.

Also why remove the smartsiren? Should just dual siren with the touchmaster

tiawah466

May 24, 2010
Rogers County, Oklahoma
chono said:
I would suggest not putting them on the dash The legend is already bright enough and the vipers will only get in the way.

Also why remove the smartsiren? Should just dual siren with the touchmaster

I don't like the smart siren, and I currently use a UTMD, and the UTMD will be a dual amp setup. The Smart Siren brain will stay in the car and connected. All I have to do is run the serial cable from the lightbar from the trunk to the console and move the interface. I have a spare cable set for the interface. This way when I switch out cars, the Smart Siren will be able to be reconneted quickly. In all reality I will be the last person in this car and it will be sold with no equipment on it when I am done with it. But I am going to do it this way in case I have to reconnect everything. As for the Vipers on the dash, I am like having 3 levels of lighting. The lightbar, the dash light with the intersectors, and whatever I put on the push bumper. If I don't like them there, I can always take them out.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Congrats on the job and getting such a new car. If you wouldn't mind, take some more before and then lots of after pics.

I would prob put the dual red/ dual blue Vipers in the rear and just do a single red/blue in the front, but do whatever makes you happy.

tiawah466

May 24, 2010
Rogers County, Oklahoma
I got the car tonight, it's a good thing I have more than a week till I have to use it. I have to get new tires and a new windshield. When I went to get it the battery was dead. It's charging now, but it is the original so a new battery will be put in also. when I started testing everything I found that the only thing that works is the headlight flasher and the rear deck lights. So I guess I have a day of trouble shooting tomorow.

dcb

May 21, 2010
Lexington, Fayette Co, KY
REFERENCE: Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes

THE VEHICLE CODE (TITLE 75) PART III. OPERATION OF VEHICLES CHAPTER 33.

RULES OF THE ROAD IN GENERAL Subchapter F - Speed Restrictions. § 3368. Speed timing devices.

Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (3), electronic devices such

as radio-microwave devices (commonly referred to as electronic speed

meters or radar) may be used only by members of the Pennsylvania State

Police.

May 22, 2010
Central WV
So if no radar, what systems do you use to clock people? Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but this stuff is outside my realm of knowledge. I know blinkies and woo woo's lol...oh and medical and fire equipment but that's a little different lol.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
aberfitchguy2472 said:
So if no radar, what systems do you use to clock people? Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but this stuff is outside my realm of knowledge. I know blinkies and woo woo's lol...oh and medical and fire equipment but that's a little different lol.

They have various speed traps, though most are pretty easily noticed on the sides of the road...

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I know VASCAR is big in PA, but I forgot about only troopers having RADAR. Can you guys use LIDAR?

May 20, 2010
Hamilton, Ohio
I read earlier this year that state lawmakers in PA were trying to get House Bill 1539 thru that would allow municipal police officers to use radar for traffic enforcement, however i believe the bill stalled and will probably die. i believe the city and county agencies can use other means for measuring speed such as vascar, etc. maybe PA will adopt what ohio courts have taken judicial notice on and all we have to do is look at a car and determine if it is speeding without any radar/lidar verification!

If you have the light bar, I say no to the thought of the dash lights. I also think the KC daylights are not necessary. My thoughts are to put the chamelion grille lights, some LED HAWs in the front and 2 dual vipers, as well as 2 LED HAWs in the rear.

tiawah466

May 24, 2010
Rogers County, Oklahoma
Tlandreth22 said:
If you have the light bar, I say no to the thought of the dash lights. I also think the KC daylights are not necessary. My thoughts are to put the chamelion grille lights, some LED HAWs in the front and 2 dual vipers, as well as 2 LED HAWs in the rear.

the reason for the KC lights is we patrol Mostly rural areas. If I can see Bambi earlier that's better.

May 20, 2010
Hamilton, Ohio
tiawah466 said:
the reason for the KC lights is we patrol Mostly rural areas. If I can see Bambi earlier that's better.

the alaska state patrol uses KC lights on the pushbumpers of their cars. i personally think the idea is a great one and if i had a pushbumper on my cruiser i would have a set of those badboys on there.

tiawah466

May 24, 2010
Rogers County, Oklahoma
Jasen Hatfield said:
the alaska state patrol uses KC lights on the pushbumpers of their cars. i personally think the idea is a great one and if i had a pushbumper on my cruiser i would have a set of those badboys on there.

they are the only reason I am getting a push bumper.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
tiawah466 said:

I'd way rather have decent fog & driving lights that would get used every night and during adverse weather than a bazillion grille LEDs that are essentially pointless out in the sticks anyway. If it were my call the cruisers would be lit like rally cars.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
FireEMSPolice said:
Yup..or you get this

i nearly $h@t my pants when i saw that :lol:

any progress with the install yet? i'm dying to see a vid of the finished product w/ all the chameleons, vipers, etc

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Rofocowboy84 said:
I don't know about him, but here in PA, only Troopers can run radar, no local jurisdictions can...

Damn i need to move there, i could speed almost 24/7 :twisted:

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Rofocowboy84 said:
I don't know about him, but here in PA, only Troopers can run radar, no local jurisdictions can...

Damn i need to move there, i could speed almost 24/7 :twisted:

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Oh 1 more thing, i would do both hideaways and a tlf, but only run one at a time, during the day use the TLF and at night use the hide aways! If you have a couple reds and a couple whites you should put more than one in each housing, say 2 or 3 in each housing will really make a nice effect!

tiawah466

May 24, 2010
Rogers County, Oklahoma
After the last 2 nights I have had some more progress on the car. The old Legend had several bad LEDs in it so I just replaced the whole bar with a new Legend. I got the hideaways put into the reverse lights. I also have the rear strobes mounted into the turn signals. I forgot to take any pictures of the install process, but everyone has seen hideaways put into a CVPI before. I will not have a chance to work on it again till Saturday after noon. I am under a timeline to get it all done before wednsday night which is my first shift. I think that the only real problem that I will have is with the intersectors on the mirrors.

tiawah466

May 24, 2010
Rogers County, Oklahoma
Got my 800 Phantom Elite mini shark fin mounted.

ai153.photobucket.com_albums_s211_tiawah466_0f3af3b6.jpg

And I got the dual Brookings T.R.I. LED hideaways put into the front side marker lamps tonight. I went with dual blue on the passenger and dual red on the drivers side. I am wiring them so that the pairs will both flash at the same time. I started with just one in each side, but I went with 2 to get it a little brighter and to completly drown out the amber when they are on.

ai153.photobucket.com_albums_s211_tiawah466_5ee9a3ad.jpg

tiawah466

May 24, 2010
Rogers County, Oklahoma
I was correct, the intersectors have been the most difficult part of the install so far. All the shims, curved mirror brackets, and just dealing with the way that they have to be wired is a pain.

ai153.photobucket.com_albums_s211_tiawah466_91ce132a.jpg

ai153.photobucket.com_albums_s211_tiawah466_6b76adcb.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.