My Newly Restored Federal Sign and Signal N.Y.P.D. Beacon Ray 175-H

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Hello fellow collectors!

I have for you a newly restored Federal Sign and Signal Beacon Ray model 175-H. This beacon features a new glass dome, new gaskets (from dale cohen), new lamps, a restored emblem ( from "fyrboy") and a freshly tripple-plated chrome skirt. I know the base screws are incorrect, but Bob has assured me he has correct ones coming! This tall based beacon definitely shines among the others!

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_175_H.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_175_H1.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_175_H2.jpg

Thanks for looking and as always, stay tuned...........

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Hoser said:
It would look much better with out the green astro turf on the base:) Looks Super Mister! As usual you've been hitting them outa the park! Where are the Siren pic's for in front of it?

sorry, can't think of everything. lol. thanks though!

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
I believe the show used a Model 17 in its trailer, but some of the RMP's in the scenes used the 175H. NYPD used the red Model 17 from 1956 to 1962, before switching to the clear dome 175H from 1963-1972.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
patrol530 said:
Normally I prefer short skirts, however that is sweet. Just needs a Plymouth Fury as a display base.
Don't all guys prefer short skirts? ;)

great job Eric looks great! :thumbsup:

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Hoser said:
It would look much better with out the green astro turf on the base:) Looks Super Mister! As usual you've been hitting them outa the park! Where are the Siren pic's for in front of it?

This belongs in the green light thread, haha. :crazy:

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
JennyCop said:
Don't all guys prefer short skirts? ;)

great job Eric looks great! :thumbsup:

That's for damb sure girl!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :yes: :yes:

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
NPS Ranger said:
I believe the show used a Model 17 in its trailer, but some of the RMP's in the scenes used the 175H. NYPD used the red Model 17 from 1956 to 1962, before switching to the clear dome 175H from 1963-1972.

The only thing I liked about that show was the Beacon Ray model 17 in the intro. When I found out that the show was about plain clothes cops and unmarked cars I refused to watch it.

On the other hand, McCloud was a good show to watch back in the early 1970s. The earlier episodes were full of NYPD cars with Beacon Rays and Pulsator sirens. There were even some cars that had two beam 17s with clear domes and amber and red bulbs. I don't know if NYPD actually had that type of light.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
McCloud was an awesome show, part of the NBC Mystery Movie series on Wednesday nights, then the series was moved and became the NBC Sunday Mystery Movie series. The series ran for a total of seven years and McCloud was a part of the series all seven years with a total of 46 episodes.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
emtanderson51 said:
Well done!! That is a real beauty!! Where do you find the time?????

thanks steve, but this beacon had been sitting in the, " work in progress" pile of my workshop for over a year now!

NESQ115

Jan 21, 2012
New York
Wailer said:
The only thing I liked about that show was the Beacon Ray model 17 in the intro. When I found out that the show was about plain clothes cops and unmarked cars I refused to watch it.

On the other hand, McCloud was a good show to watch back in the early 1970s. The earlier episodes were full of NYPD cars with Beacon Rays and Pulsator sirens. There were even some cars that had two beam 17s with clear domes and amber and red bulbs. I don't know if NYPD actually had that type of light.

The 1960s "N.Y.P.D." show did have marked cars, but they appeared only in occasional episodes. They were Plymouth Belvederes (1968's I believe). As I recall, the patrol cars were very accurate, except for one thing - NYPD actually used the larger Plymouth Furys, never Belvederes. Well, at least they were Plymouths. I too would have liked to see more marked units. Nonetheless, it was usually a fast-paced show, filmed on location in NYC with an authentic feel, and I liked it for those reasons.

I was less keen on McCloud. In any event, yes, there were often marked cars on McCloud, but the cars I recall seeing there seemed to me to be cruder representations of NYPD cars. Maybe that was just in the later episodes, but that's what stands out in my mind. I recall seeing a siren on McCloud that looked like something pieced togther to resemble a Pulsator, with a big chunky base. I'm pretty sure the siren was higher than the Beacon Ray, but I forget if that was because the siren was too tall or the light was too short (or both?).

The only 2-lamp Model 17 Beacon Rays NYPD used were the solid red-dome ones, 1956-1962. The only clear-domed Beacon Rays NYPD used were the 4-lamped ones. Unlike the "N.Y.P.D." show, McCloud was filmed mostly in California, not NYC; maybe that has something to do with it. (I think they used downtown L.A. to simulate Manhattan; I believe I once caught a brief shot of a city street where their replica NYPD car passes an actual LAPD black-&-white car going the other way.) The two-lamp Beacon Rays you saw in McCloud were probably just Hollywood prop people making do with what they had on hand (Model 17's); I don't imagine there were many Model 175-H's (or Pulsators for that matter) floating around out there.

By the way, I sold someone my 175-H many years ago (thinking I could get another later), and I've been kicking myself pretty much ever since!

NYPD 105 Pct 1970 Ford roof equip.jpg

Jun 4, 2012
New England
NESQ115 said:
The only 2-lamp Model 17 Beacon Rays NYPD used were the solid red-dome ones, 1956-1962. The only clear-domed Beacon Rays NYPD used were the 4-lamped ones. Unlike the "N.Y.P.D." show, McCloud was filmed mostly in California, not NYC; maybe that has something to do with it. (I think they used downtown L.A. to simulate Manhattan; I believe I once caught a brief shot of a city street where their replica NYPD car passes an actual LAPD black-&-white car going the other way.) The two-lamp Beacon Rays you saw in McCloud were probably just Hollywood prop people making do with what they had on hand (Model 17's); I don't imagine there were many Model 175-H's (or Pulsators for that matter) floating around out there.

What a coincidence! I saw an episode of Kojak (can't remember the episode title, but I think it was a 2nd or 3rd season episode) with a scene where an NYPD car passed a black-and-white unit. Maybe they used the same footage?

NESQ115

Jan 21, 2012
New York
Maybe it was a stock studio clip. I'm pretty sure I saw it in McCloud, but it was a long while ago. At you've confirmed for me there was such a thing.

:)

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Watched MIB3 last night. I recognized this light and siren combo right away when J gets pulled over in the hot car in 1969 NYC. Not sure if the paint was correct on the car, but you could tell it was a 175H. Nice.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
rwo978 said:
Watched MIB3 last night. I recognized this light and siren combo right away when J gets pulled over in the hot car in 1969 NYC. Not sure if the paint was correct on the car, but you could tell it was a 175H. Nice.

The RMP was accurate and it was a working Pulsator

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaf10596

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.