My take home crapala (PHOTO HEAVY)

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Wow... I can't believe that cage. All of our cars have full lexan shields and I wouldn't have it any other way, esp after a girl puked all over part behind my head while I was on fto.

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
How do you have a hard time at 6' 3"? I am 6' 4" and I have no problem fitting into our 04 impalas with Setina cages. Of course we have power seats too so maybe that makes a difference.

That previous install looks like it sucks donkey balls - surprised it didn't catch fire.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
whats with the 4 foot antennae on top of the car?

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
Mike L. said:
How do you have a hard time at 6' 3"? I am 6' 4" and I have no problem fitting into our 04 impalas with Setina cages. Of course we have power seats too so maybe that makes a difference.

That previous install looks like it sucks donkey balls - surprised it didn't catch fire.

I don't know man, it's hard for me! :lol:

Jarred J. said:
whats with the 4 foot antennae on top of the car?

Rural county, it was setup that way.

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
Stendec said:
You did fix the shotgun lock first, I hope.
Actually I took it out and moved the shotgun to the trunk. With the new console it wouldn't fit, plus it's a lot easier to get it out of the trunk than try and monkey it out of inside.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
def. a HUGE improvement! can't believe they let that car stay in service with the junk install and useless galls cage

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
So yesterday, I come out of the office to find my trunk wide open. Laying there on top of everthing is my issued shotgun. I come to find out that the trunk openm button is broken now and the trunk opens at random. Just gets better everyday!

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
May 16, 2010
Torrington, WY
EVT said:
So yesterday, I come out of the office to find my trunk wide open. Laying there on top of everthing is my issued shotgun. I come to find out that the trunk openm button is broken now and the trunk opens at random. Just gets better everyday!
:eek: At least no one took your shotgun.

NBFC46

May 26, 2010
Amherst NY
So I was looking at you POS Crapala and I only have one question. Is that even a police package? I'm not trying to cut it down anymore than you and everyone else already did but out old Impala was a police package and I knew of a couple of other towns in the area that had them and they didn't have the nicer dash, interior. Which I'm sure by now it's beat. But all of ours where crap interiors when they were new. And seeing cars like that makes me happy my department switched to Chargers. Our first Charger was an 2006 and we took it out of service about 4 months ago with 170+ miles on it. And the only reason why it was pulled was because the mileage. The car still had a lot of life in her and was still in really good shape. But your Impala needs to go. lol. Ours died at 86000 miles. The motor fell out of it. You think I might be joking but no. It really fell out of the car. It was the biggest piece of crap we ever owned. Best of luck to you. And I hope it lasts or the give you a Vic or a Charger. lol

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
NBFC46 said:
So I was looking at you POS Crapala and I only have one question. Is that even a police package? I'm not trying to cut it down anymore than you and everyone else already did but out old Impala was a police package and I knew of a couple of other towns in the area that had them and they didn't have the nicer dash, interior. Which I'm sure by now it's beat. But all of ours where crap interiors when they were new. And seeing cars like that makes me happy my department switched to Chargers. Our first Charger was an 2006 and we took it out of service about 4 months ago with 170+ miles on it. And the only reason why it was pulled was because the mileage. The car still had a lot of life in her and was still in really good shape. But your Impala needs to go. lol. Ours died at 86000 miles. The motor fell out of it. You think I might be joking but no. It really fell out of the car. It was the biggest piece of crap we ever owned. Best of luck to you. And I hope it lasts or the give you a Vic or a Charger. lol

Yeah it is a police package

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Our one 05 Impala has the same interior... and it is also a POS. I drive an 07 and really like it. Other than it being front wheel drive, I wish the trunk was bigger (guess I could take out the full sized spare) but that's it. It's the fastest car on my shift (others being a 2010 V6 Charger and 08, 06, and 03 CVPI's) and isn't a bad fit for my size. I know a lot of ppl give Impala's crap, and I really, really missed my CVPI when I was switched, but now I just miss it, haha.

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
RL1 said:
Our one 05 Impala has the same interior... and it is also a POS. I drive an 07 and really like it. Other than it being front wheel drive, I wish the trunk was bigger (guess I could take out the full sized spare) but that's it. It's the fastest car on my shift (others being a 2010 V6 Charger and 08, 06, and 03 CVPI's) and isn't a bad fit for my size. I know a lot of ppl give Impala's crap, and I really, really missed my CVPI when I was switched, but now I just miss it, haha.

Yeah the newer style Impalas aren't as bad as these older ones. The interior isn't too bad, it's getting in and out that's really tough for me. I always have a sore head from hitting it all day long.

USO131

Sep 15, 2010
usa
From the picture appears things are being kinda exaggerated?

Looks like some one is working on the car or you REALLY DRIVE THAT ON PATROL?

Granted the Impala's are not that great. The wiring looks like it has been pulled out; the carpet is bunched up you can see it.

The dash radio harness is dangling out of the hole and more ... Come on give me a break..

The Gales cage is too much though. Me I got 3/8" lexan 4x8 sheet and cut it and bolted it to the cage on my side with 1/4" thick 1 1/2" strap steel and carriage bolts heads ( so the rear "passenger" can't unscrew the nuts ) towards the rear. This also gave me much needed stab protection for when I was transporting some one in the back - to keep from being stabbed through the seat.

The situation about your shotgun; you just "throw it in the trunk"? Your words. You state the release button is broken and opens randomly? Then appears you have a short so disconnect the power wire from the lock solenoid to keep it closed..

Are you that mechanically incapable to doing anything yourself for your own professional pride? Or are you just too lazy to work on your own car if the county won't or can fix it in a timely manner?

THAT squad no matter the condition is your office and YOUR PROTECTION... Think what people see in public? They won't feel sorry for you driving a crap mobile as you call it; they are going to see you as disorganization and not on the ball. We had an LEO like this and he got into more trouble dealing with the POS than another LEO who uniform was squared away and polished shoes; AND their car was clean.

I am not flaming you; just can not believe any LEO would allow themselves to work in that condition.

Where I am we have squads and subsidized POV's. Mine is a POV is a SUV- Nissan xterra ( 5 speed manual with factory supercharger ); led light bar; led visor lights across the windshield and a six led head stick in the rear with side led lights inside also. 200 watt siren and all the different sounds it makes through dual horns and PA.

I can remove the light bar in a minute and run slick top with the inside lights.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
USO131 said:

Granted the Impala's are not that great. The wiring looks like it has been pulled out; the carpet is bunched up you can see it.

The dash radio harness is dangling out of the hole and more ... Come on give me a break..

The Gales cage is too much though. Me I got 3/8" lexan 4x8 sheet and cut it and bolted it to the cage on my side with 1/4" thick 1 1/2" strap steel and carriage bolts heads ( so the rear "passenger" can't unscrew the nuts ) towards the rear. This also gave me much needed stab protection for when I was transporting some one in the back - to keep from being stabbed through the seat.

The situation about your shotgun; you just "throw it in the trunk"? Your words. You state the release button is broken and opens randomly? Then appears you have a short so disconnect the power wire from the lock solenoid to keep it closed..

Are you that mechanically incapable to doing anything yourself for your own professional pride? Or are you just too lazy to work on your own car if the county won't or can fix it in a timely manner?

THAT squad no matter the condition is your office and YOUR PROTECTION... Think what people see in public? They won't feel sorry for you driving a crap mobile as you call it; they are going to see you as disorganization and not on the ball. We had an LEO like this and he got into more trouble dealing with the POS than another LEO who uniform was squared away and polished shoes; AND their car was clean.

I am not flaming you; just can not believe any LEO would allow themselves to work in that condition.

Where I am we have squads and subsidized POV's. Mine is a POV is a SUV- Nissan xterra ( 5 speed manual with factory supercharger ); led light bar; led visor lights across the windshield and a six led head stick in the rear with side led lights inside also. 200 watt siren and all the different sounds it makes through dual horns and PA.

I can remove the light bar in a minute and run slick top with the inside lights.

Wow. There's so much bullshit in the above post I don't even know where to start. :roll:

See my thread on my POS Impala. It's not his responsibility to work on the car, it's the county's. He's being nice enough to take care of what he can. I'm the same way. If I wanted, I could have billed the town or made a case with the insurance company that the car was unsafe, but I worked with what I had.

I smell a troll, btw.

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
USO131 said:

Some of the photos were taken when I was in the middle of installing the new equipment. Most of the equipment was installed before I was hired and I am not going to spend my own time and money rewiring the county's car.

My equipment and car is as good as it can be without spending my own personal money. My uniform and personal appearance I can control, and believe me I give the troopers a run for their money on professional appearance, but what the county gives me to use I have to use, for better or for worse.

And for the record, the county is FULLY aware of the problems (Submitted a 5 page report on why this vehicle is a liability to the county) and they still don't want to do anything with it. I've CYA on this issue and if something was to ever happen, it won't be over my head.

May 25, 2010
Quincy, Illinois
USO131 said:

So do you run a lot of code with that 5 speed manual while working the siren and answering the radio? Sounds safe!

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Great first post. :roll:

Where's my 'troll spray?'

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.