My very own 2311! Now all I need is a Sireno Siren and THP Cowboy hat!

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
[QUOTE='CrownVic97]
AAAAAHAHAHAHA!!!! You are probably the only one in the whole US that can recreate Lieutenant Slide's MARS lightbar.

Now you need the Dodge Polara with the TXDPS paint scheme, door emblems, numbering, etc etc and you've got your own 2311 :thumbsup:

[/QUOTE]Got it! ;)

Ok ok so this is not a vintage light but I figured you would all like to see this. Most of you have followed me on my extensive search and collecting of NOS Mars parts to complete my "Sugarland Express" Mars bar. Well now that is it complete I needed something to display it on. I ran across this car on Ebay and couldn't resist the urge to click buy it now. It is a rust free 1973 Dodge Polara special order Police Pursuit. This is a real deal "K" code Police car. It was purchased for the state of Arizona and was an unmarked car with only two red lights mounted behind the grill, It is believed it was a captain's car due to no signs of a radio or antenna ever being mounted. I have the cars original order sheet from the state of Arizona, the build sheet and special order checklist from Mopar. The car was special ordered with the High Performance 400Cu V8 (not the 440,This is typical for Arizona law enforcement supervisor cars of the time.) four barrel carb and dual exhaust. The vehicles interior is also special order it was ordered with black carpet not the typical police rubber flooring of the time and black vinyl seats with Houndstooth black cloth inserts! ( don't want the captain burning himself on the black vinyl in the Arizona heat, makes for a grouchy boss and a bad day. lol) Sigle left side spotlight and police ticket/map light. The car still retains its original A/C Cutoff switch and label along with its 140mph certified speedometer. Odometer shows 86k miles. Under the hood it has the fender tags showing special order and other F code police options. This is an all number matching car.

My plan is to restore it into a Texas Highway Patrol car very similar to the "Sugarland Express" car, Unit 2311. It will be painted THP black and white with correct door decals. The car was delivered last week and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Upon some research into the THP cars of the 70's I found that they special ordered their units with the High Performance 400cu V8'sand a single left hand side spotlight a big plus for me since it is what mine is equipped with! Awesome! I am aware that THP ran Twin beacon rays in 1973 not Mars bars but I am keeping it with the movie theme and mounting my Mars bar on it anyways! This will take me a few years to complete but I will keep you all posted.

2013-03-10_21-55-28_778.jpg

Polara1.jpg

Polara2.jpg

Polara3.jpg

Polara4.jpg

Polara5.jpg

Polara 6.jpg

Polara7.jpg

PolaraACLabel.jpg

PolaraSpeedo1.jpg

$_57.jpg

i078136.jpg

imagesPFL9KZ0Q.jpg

imagesNVFJP60X.jpg

sugarland-express.jpg

IMG_20140518_093616_1631.jpg

IMG_20140518_093622_2651.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Wailer had advised me what siren in a past thread. http://elightbars.org/forums/f18/my-latest-mars-aquisitions-picture-heavy-also-peek-my-sugarland-express-bar-45614/

Wailer said:
The Sugarland Express patrol car was equipped with a Sireno Projector siren.

I think the siren sound that was dubbed in for that car was a Federal PA20 (the one with the 'alert' tone). Most movies and TV shows from the 1970s had the PA20 sounds dubbed in.

This video shows a clear shot of the siren and radio I will need to find. If anyone knows what they are and model numbers I would really appreciate it. times 3:43 and 3:50 is best shot.

Reactions: Lyle

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
The two-way is a General Electric MASTR series, at least the control head and microphone are. The loudspeaker says MASTR, but the grille is different from the one shown on this website: GE MOBILE RADIO HISTORY The MASTR series is down near the bottom of the page. It may have been a MASTR Executive Series speaker.

If you stalk Ebay, you can find the control head, loudspeaker, and microphone. Disregard the MASTR II and III items. You want the original MASTR series.

The scanner is a Regency Monitoradio TMR-8. There are several up on Ebay right now so shop for a bargain.

The siren is obviously a Sireno, but I am not familiar with them so I'll let someone else chime in.

Reactions: JennyCop

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
There's nothing that warms my heart more than a plan to restore a classic piece of MOPAR history, let alone a genuine police-package vehicle with proper lighting. :D

delcofirecop

Jul 22, 2012
usa pa
steve is right it is an executive series speaker. and ebay is a great place to find all that. those radios are big with ham operators so try the ham forums too.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
This thread is so full of kick-@$$! Congrats on finding a '73 Polara, Jenny. I think this is one project that we will all be thrilled to see finished. The car will definitely be a big hit at car shows and emergency vehicle shows, I know that :D ! The Sireno siren will be one part of the project that'll be hard to find, but one of my colleagues in Bismarck might have a GE MASTR head, mic, and speaker. I'll call him this week sometime for ya :thumbsup: .

Thanks for the hat tip, BTW:tiphat:.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Nice acquisition, Jenny! I'll look forward to seeing the completed car. Most of the cars in the movie were setup totally for the movie. THP had only begun to use lightbars in the late '60s, most of which were Federal VisiBars. A lot of the cars had just the plain bars, with just the beacons only....not siren or speakers(s). For many, many years, the siren of choice for THP was the Federal EG siren, mounted underhood (where you couldn't hear it). A few had the similar Sireno M-1 siren. When the first VisiBars came out, some had the WG siren mounted in the center of the bar. Few, if any, in that time period had electronic sirens. Most of them came in the mid to late '70s. The problem was that THP cars were issued solely with the underhood EG siren and the standard red spotlight on the driver's side. However, Texas DPS allowed each individual trooper to put what they wanted on their cars, but at their own expense. So in the late '60s going into the '70s you began to see a few variations, such as rear deck lights, grille lights, etc. The first unit I saw with a beacon was in 1963 here in Midland. A DPS trooper (who later became sheriff here, and his partner) mounted a red Model17 beacon on top. Many years before that the most "outlandish" concoction seen around here was on Trooper Mac Stout's car. From the mid-50s until the late '60s when he retired, Mac was the primary accident investigator for DPS Region 4. Since his unit ran "hot" more than anyone else, his cruiser was equipped with twin EG sirens under the hood; a red spotlight and a pair of red rear deck lights. For that period, it really got the attention. As best as I can remember, and I may be a bit mistaken, Texas DPS didn't start supplying the THP cruisers with lightbars, etc., until the mid '70s, and those were Visibars. But when troopers were doing their own equipping, I saw VisiBars, TwinSonics and a few of the Unity "do-it-yourself" bars.

When DPS went to the small Mustangs in the '70s, they came equipped with the standard red spots along with single-faced red and blue North American lights bumper-mounted and the same on the rear deck, and they used the North American SI-100 pushbutton electronic sirens. Unless individual troopers were using them, I don't think they ever used the Mars SW bars like shown in the movie, unless they were in Region 2, where the movie was shot.

The Sireno Projector in the movie was the pushbutton model. They also had an earlier version which had the standard selector dial, which I have. I haven't run across one of the pushbutton models in some time, but I'm sure they're out there. Have fun with your project.

One last suggestion: Contact the Public Information Officer at DPS/Austin. They can give you a lot more accurate history on what they used, and when and where, etc.

Aug 20, 2010
Texas USA
Thanks for that info, Skip! I had no idea that DPS allowed Troopers that much latitude on anything let alone emergency equipment. In the Region II (Houston) area, I saw the slicktops with the red Unity spotlight or the Federal Twin lightbars. They seldom used sirens, but I do remember a mix of both electronic and mechanical sirens.

Texas DPS holds a very special place in my heart since childhood, which I have written here in the past. Now I can't help but wonder what a DPS unit would've looked like with Trio T-2's and a Federal CP-58!

DPS did not use Mars lights. Never saw a real unit with them either in person or in pics. Considering the amount of Mars products in the movie, I'll wager it was one of those "promotional consideration" things. It was troubling to see those bars get utterly destroyed.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
AWESOME acquisition Jenny! I couldn't be happier for you!! That Polara is GORGEOUS and I think doing a screen-accurate replica of 2311 is an outstanding idea as it is so iconic to all of us who revel in the 70's movies, squads and lights! I can't wait to see your "restoration diary" of this car! Way to go!! :thumbsup:

pop2one

Feb 7, 2012
Texas
TXDPS didn't use those Mars lightbars however Harris County Pct. 4 Constable's office did during the mid 70's.

As you can well imagine the movie Sugarland Express is totally inaccurate compared to what actually happened. The trooper taken hostage was stationed in the County in which I live. After retirement he went on to become a probation officer and died just a few years ago. His son is a DPS trooper and acquaintance of mine. My grandfather and I saw the actual "chase" as it went by the rice fields that we were in but I was very young and remember very little. The male suspect was actually shot and killed by a DPS Sgt. in the Bryan, Texas area. On another note, I lived at the Sugar Land pre-release prison farm (where the movie starts) for a short time in guard's housing with my grandfather around 1974.

I could go on but then I'd just get boring. Sorry to hijack your thread but..that's a nice bar you've scored. Good luck with the project.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
pop2one, I wouldn't say you hijacked the thread, as any information regarding the accuracy (or not) of a given lightbar/car project would be welcome :thumbsup:

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Jenny,

I talked to friend in Bismarck today and he has the GE MASTR control head, mic, and speaker you need for 2311. I will be getting prices later today. My friend told me that the items are in good shape.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
CrownVic97 said:
Here's Lt. Slides interior setup:
View attachment ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l41_Pimpala03_SugarlandExpress_PDVD_064.jpg

And here's Capt. Tanner's interior setup, same thing as Slide's:

View attachment ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l41_Pimpala03_SugarlandExpress_PDVD_065.jpg

The Sireno Projector is the knob style SFD-6, not the push-button style. Elite907 has one from a Craigslist find. Here's his thread: http://elightbars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60177&highlight=sireno+projector

Thanks for those pix. I have one of the original Sireno Projectors with the selector switch. The only one I've seen with the pushbuttons was on an ambulance in the small town of Idalou, TX, more than 30 years ago. I love the deep pitch of the original Projectors.

I like the old Regency scanner in the above photos. I was telling a friend the other day how funny it was in watching Kojak "talk" on the old Bearcat III scanner in his car. Marvels of technology....huh!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
TheLightFromMars said:
Thanks for that info, Skip! I had no idea that DPS allowed Troopers that much latitude on anything let alone emergency equipment. In the Region II (Houston) area, I saw the slicktops with the red Unity spotlight or the Federal Twin lightbars. They seldom used sirens, but I do remember a mix of both electronic and mechanical sirens.
Texas DPS holds a very special place in my heart since childhood, which I have written here in the past. Now I can't help but wonder what a DPS unit would've looked like with Trio T-2's and a Federal CP-58!

DPS did not use Mars lights. Never saw a real unit with them either in person or in pics. Considering the amount of Mars products in the movie, I'll wager it was one of those "promotional consideration" things. It was troubling to see those bars get utterly destroyed.

Forgot to mention that Lubbock P.D. ran the Dodge Polaras back in the late '60s. Those cars were the first to run electronic sirens (PA20 Interceptors). They had red 173s on top flanked by a pair of CP25 speakers. Before then they ran the red 173s with the little EG sirens mounted right in front of the beacon.

As to the G.E. radios, check with Lou Farah,whom I think you know. He's got all sorts of vintage stuff available.

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
I know this is just splitting hairs, but THP is the acronym for the Tennessee Highway Patrol, not the Texas Highway Patrol. Although the Texas DPS was divided into several different divisions (including the highway patrol), they were never referred to as THP cars. Texas DPS is just Texas DPS, or the DPS. I know that doesn't really matter in terms of the vehicle, since you will be restoring it to look like a movie car, and not an actual Texas DPS vehicle, but just wanted to throw my 2 cents in since the THP is the Tennessee Highway Patrol.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dg0223 said:
I know this is just splitting hairs, but THP is the acronym for the Tennessee Highway Patrol, not the Texas Highway Patrol. Although the Texas DPS was divided into several different divisions (including the highway patrol), they were never referred to as THP cars. Texas DPS is just Texas DPS, or the DPS. I know that doesn't really matter in terms of the vehicle, since you will be restoring it to look like a movie car, and not an actual Texas DPS vehicle, but just wanted to throw my 2 cents in since the THP is the Tennessee Highway Patrol.

Actually you're a bit mistaken there. The Texas DPS Highway Patrol Division has been known as THP, or Texas Highway Patrol for many, many years. I've heard a number of DPS Troopers refer to themselves as THP Troopers.

Jen, have you checked your PM? I've been having a bit of trouble with the site lately.

Hot damn! Another vintage winkie-light aficionado joins the ranks of old car collectors! No better way to display a great lightbar than on a real cop car. Well done Jenny!!

If you need any suggestions on the restoration process (and what money pits to avoid) I will be glad to offer my $0.02 worth. (Remember, even after the best restoration, it's still an old car. I have some suggestions on vehicle insurance that are best suited to owners like us.)

Congrats and well done!!

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
They do refer to themselves as being from the Texas Highway Patrol, but they don't use the THP acronym.  Even the vehicles now have decals that went from "HIGHWAY PATROL" to "TEXAS HIGHWAY PATROL," but again, THP stands for Tennessee Highway Patrol, regardless of the DPS having highway patrol troopers.

Reactions: Station 3

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Thank you all for your replies and assistance.I will reply more  amd add interior shots once I figure out how to use this new  set up elightbars site we just got.

The Sireno Projector siren is extremely rare, hmmm... sounds like everything else I like. Okie dokie the search begins! Thank you for the info.

ZedR

Oct 10, 2010
Texas Panhandle
No Chance you'd restore this as an accurate DPS clone, versus a Sugarland express car?

I own a 1972 ex DPS Polara - currently restoring to in-service condition. There is a complete lack of restored vintage DPS vehicles, and this would be even more awesome if done correct for the time period vs the movie.

Either way though, PM me if you need any help on DPS specifics from that time period.

Reactions: Skip Goulet

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Jenny:  I noticed that you had said you want a Sireno siren. I was a bit brain dead yesterday when I suggested that you look for an M-1.  That's the little motor siren that is similar to the EGs...both of which were used by DPS.

I had forgotten that you're looking for a Sireno Projector! Argggggh!

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
:jawdrop:  Jenny, WOW, :drooling:  as an off the cuff Mopar aficionado,  :thumbsup:  CONGRATS    :hail:  on acquiring such a prime specimen of 70s muscle  :drooling: . Im speechless   :jawdrop:  on how perfect the car is and the prefect base for your restoration tribute.    :drooling:   :drooling:   :salivate:   :salivate:   :salivate:     :inlove:   :inlove:    :hail:    :thumbsup:  and any other that fit this situation!

pop2one

Feb 7, 2012
Texas
In Southeast Texas at least if you ask a Trooper where he is stationed he'll tell you THP-Houston, THP-Beaumont, THP-Liberty etc. They were in fact at one time identified as the Texas Highway Patrol (see photo #1). Photo #2 is their current patch. 

DPS THP.jpg

DPS Red.jpg

Reactions: TheLightFromMars
Aug 20, 2010
Texas USA
I have never seen a DPS patch like the one on top. What era is that from? Before the previous issue (at the bottom) DPS used the same shield and colors, but with "Department of Public Safety" across the top, a five point star in the center with the word "T-E-X-A-S" spelled out between the star's points, and "Highway Patrol" at the bottom. I have one of these patches and keep it as a reminder that we don't always get our dreams.

pop2one

Feb 7, 2012
Texas
That top photo is most likely mid 60's and rare. I have an even more rare, same era, patch as seen below. Both of these were given to me by a now deceased former judge, Texas Ranger, Trooper friend. 

The current patch is a reasonable facsimile of the former DPS Major's patch. They chose it as the sole patch when they stopped using the "Special Service" patches of License & Weights, Drivers License, HP, Executive Security, Vehicle Inspection etc..

DPS DSO.jpg

Reactions: TheLightFromMars

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Thank you! :) I have a lead on one but haven't had the spare $$ to buy it. I have many projects. Very nice car you have, it will look great restored. Have you found the Aerodynic for it?

This is my other project.

here is my completed 1991 Ford Crown Victoria I restored 4 years ago.

2014-09-18 10.40.07.png

2014-11-17 08.26.26.png

2014-11-17 08.26.00.png

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.