My Volunteer in Police Service Patrol Vehicle

Stimpy911

Nov 23, 2011
USA / Michigan
I have been a police volunteer in Michigan since 1998. Here are our patrol vehicles we utilize.

1998 Chevy Astro Van

1998 or 1999 Crown Victoria - Retired from the PD and given to the volunteers.

The Forsyth Township Police Department A.C.T.I.V.E Program was established as a means of assisting the citizens of Forsyth Township and the Forsyth Township Police Department with community patrols and other duties, utilizing volunteer members. The goal and philosophy of the A.C.T.I.V.E Program is very simple...to proactively promote the Forsyth Township Police Department objectives to our township through a community based Community Policing effort.

An A.C.T.I.V.E member is appointed as a volunteer only and is not vested with any law enforcement authority. A.C.T.I.V.E personnel of the Forsyth Township Police Department are volunteer members who have enrolled in, and serve as, a civic servant to assist the citizens of Forsyth Township and the Forsyth Township Police Department.

Our volunteer program enhances our department's resources by providing extra eyes and ears on our streets and roads and to our sworn officers. Our volunteers also can handle past-occurred, non-emergency type calls that come in on a daily basis. This will allow our sworn officers to handle more serious complaints and spend additional time patrolling our state and county road system throughout the township. Other duties of our volunteers include administration duties, traffic control, community events, EMS and Fire Department assists, and public assists.

car.jpg

van.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LawrenceM1993

Jun 2, 2010
Saratoga NY/Norfolk VA
More pictures, please.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
LOL at the van! It looks like its in good shape though.

The CVPI is nice!

When I was an Auxiliary Deputy, we had 1 prisoner transport (minus the seats) E-Series for our gear, a 9C1 Caprice and CVPI's.

Stimpy911

Nov 23, 2011
USA / Michigan
fedsig7 said:
nice! we just throw "VOLUNTEER" magnets on our patrol cars

Our program description:

The Forsyth Township Police Department A.C.T.I.V.E Program was established as a means of assisting the citizens of Forsyth Township and the Forsyth Township Police Department with community patrols and other duties, utilizing volunteer members. The goal and philosophy of the A.C.T.I.V.E Program is very simple...to proactively promote the Forsyth Township Police Department objectives to our township through a community based Community Policing effort.

An A.C.T.I.V.E member is appointed as a volunteer only and is not vested with any law enforcement authority. A.C.T.I.V.E personnel of the Forsyth Township Police Department are volunteer members who have enrolled in, and serve as, a civic servant to assist the citizens of Forsyth Township and the Forsyth Township Police Department.

Our volunteer program enhances our department's resources by providing extra eyes and ears on our streets and roads and to our sworn officers. Our volunteers also can handle past-occurred, non-emergency type calls that come in on a daily basis. This will allow our sworn officers to handle more serious complaints and spend additional time patrolling our state and county road system throughout the township. Other duties of our volunteers include administration duties, traffic control, community events, EMS and Fire Department assists, and public assists.

I have some more pics but they are too large to post. I have to resize them first.

vc859

Oct 31, 2010
USA/ New York
You say that your program does traffic control and EMS/Fire assists. Are you authorized to run code, or are the lights just for when parked on a scene?

I'm asking because it is fairly unusual to see a full red and blue lightbar on a civilian patrol vehicle, most places just use amber and maybe a single red or blue flasher or section.

Stimpy911

Nov 23, 2011
USA / Michigan
Our van has red and clear lights and one red/blue strobe in the back window. Our Crown Vic was handed down from the department and they never changed out the blue lights in the back. We were going to replace the blue but just left it the way it is. We normally do not run code. If we do we follow the same rules as the fire and ems department. Our lights are mainly used on scene and also act as a deterrent.

Our vehicles are equipped with AED, first aid kits, flares, traffic cones, life vests. We use our emergency lights to respond to a scene depending on the type of assist we are going. Usually bad accidents and EMS assists. If an officer has someone under arrest and are waiting for a tow truck we will relieve them and activate our lights for our safety while we wait for the wrecker to arrive.

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
Trisdisp57 said:
Suffolk County Police Auxillary in NY have full red/blue light bars.

CSOs where I am from also have full red/blue.

I think if trained properly unsworn personnel using r/b is not a bad thing.

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
We've got about 8 hand me down patrol cars. They are clearly remarked as Citizen On Patrol, and have amber only lighting, along with a lime green uniform shirt.

Detroit VAP

Jan 16, 2011
US Michigan
Where in Michigan is Forsyth? In SE Michigan a few departments have reserve/auxiliary police that have the red/blue lights, with several just using a regular patrol vehicle. Also the volunteer units are usually CERT units and are different from the reserve/auxiliary police. Hazel Park has the volunteers, which use their own personal cars and have amber lights. Most of the Hazel Park volunteers are also ham radio operators. The reserve/auxiliary officers have limited arrest authority, with most being armed. A few departments will not let their auxiliary officers carry a firearm or make arrests (even thought they have the same training that other auxiliaries have). Several have the reserve/auxiliaries patrol by themselves, with no difference in uniform or markings then the regular police. When I worked a small department, the only difference between us and the auxiliary, was a patch on the shoulder that said auxiliary, above the regular patch.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.