My wiring diagram

Jun 24, 2015
Andrews TX
Can you guys look over this and tell me what I need to do, dont do, overkill etc. I will be running all LED lights and a whelen siren thanks

Also could I do one relay to cut the power with the ignition to everything or should I do a relay on every circuit?

diagram.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Without any details about the equipment, it's impossible to give specific recommendations, but a 10AWG / 30A feed would be enough for most LEDs and a 100W siren. If it's a 200W siren, then the 8AWG feed would be advisable.

You only need one relay, before the switch box, for the ignition cutoff. And I'd use a fuse rather than breaker.

Jun 24, 2015
Andrews TX
It will be a 200 Watt siren and sorry it is a fuse not a breaker on the main power. Would a 30/40amp relay be enough before the switch box? Also if I have 8 AWG main power from the battery can that go into the relay or do I have to go down to 14 AWG into the relay somehow 

Jun 24, 2015
Andrews TX
Also I found a 50 AMP 5 prong relay it has red, white, black, blue, and yellow wires will this work and if so what color wires go to what? I take it black is ground, red is power in from the battery. One needs to go to ignition power on source and one to the switch box. Please help thanks

Jun 24, 2015
Andrews TX
Ok so what prong is for what wire then sorry I am a newb on this and want to do it right.

The relay has:

85 - Ground?

30- From Battery?

86- From Ignition Hot source?

87- To switch box?

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
I am in no way doubting your intelligence or your ability to learn, but all said and done, I would recommend having someone who knows their way around wiring check over the finished product before running it. Theres alot of details that can be easily missed and can cause difficulty troubleshooting issues and fires and so on.

Take your time, CAREFULLY route your wires (grommets through metal, etc) shrink tube/tape/whatever connections to prevent shorts and corrosion. If you at any point second guess yourself, ask about whatever it is.

As far as relays, and many other aspects of the install, there is alot of good information here: http://www.the12volt.com/info/diagrams.asp

And in our very own GUIDE section here at ELB  http://elightbars.org/forums/forum/94-all-about-installing-emergency-equipment/

Most importantly, have fun. Don't let yourself get frustrated and start rushing.

Jun 24, 2015
Andrews TX
Thanks I appreciate all the help. I have some knowledge on running wires but it has been for simple radio amps cb etc. nothing like this. The problem being I havent found anyone around here that knew a lot about any of this. I am trying to research and learn as much as I can before I jump into it so I get it right the first time. All the help is much appreciated

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.