Need 2006 Charger lighting upgrade ideas...

Lt. Dino

May 24, 2010
Georgetown, USA
I'm looking for some front lighting upgrade ideas for my 2006 Charger. For some reason, my current lighting setup isn't that effective... Even though I thought it should be, but it just isn't working. I've got 2 red - Whelen 500 series TIR6 behind the grille, HLF, and Whelen TIR6 Slimlighter R/R above the RVM. I'd rather not put LED PAR36 lights because I like having the fog lights. Any ideas? Money is very tight, so I might not make many changes, but if I can work some deals, I want to change things.

*Since this video was taken, I have added intersection lighting... I have two Tomar RECT13's on my front license plate bracket. They work great!*

Ideas are appreciated!

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h198_emsdispatcher1_IMG_0027.jpg

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h198_emsdispatcher1_th_MVI_0016.jpg

mike

May 23, 2010
usa, california
my initial thought is that your current package is perfectly fine. you might try playing with patterns (changing them from fast to slow and viseversa) Also play with the hlf speeds if it is adjustable. try steady burn. chp basically has this setup on their chargers and it is plenty effective

chect to make sure the slim and the grillelights are aimed correctly. a slight tilt up or down can make a drastically different light output.

if all else falis, first start with a dual avenger below the rvm, if that doesnt work i would try an interior bar

Lt. Dino

May 24, 2010
Georgetown, USA
Thanks Mike- That was pretty much my thoughts. The only thing I though of was to mount the 500 series on the outside of the grille, but I've got them aimed pretty well. Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something here.

cory y

May 21, 2010
have you considered putting some HAW in the fog lights? that way you keep your stock lights and now have some high intensity white light to add... or put some LAW's (NOT VERTEXES!) instead of strobe?

mike

May 23, 2010
usa, california
haws and par 36 in the fogs arent really gonna be effective.

try switching the tir 6 in the grille gor 500 series lin 6 or m4's mounted to the outside of the grille in a alternating solid flash 90 pattern. the off axis gives a wide footprint

cory y

May 21, 2010
i just dont like vertexes, they dont stick into the housings far enough to propertly spread the light out enough

besides the universal LAWs from whelen have more diodes and are brighter

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Vertex's suck any direction other than heads on in my experience.

I would say to start simple first. Try either moving the Slimlighter to the dash, or to the side and add another light to the other side, or leave it where it is and add a dash light. For some reason, it just doesn't seem to have a lot of punch in the video.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
i would add SOS intersectors; they'd provide front, intersection (since your grill and dash light don't help that much, IMO, since they're TIRs), and side visibility (which i think u can use in addition to the rect13s) for u, while allowing u to keep more of a "low-profile" look that you have than the mirrorbeams would).

i wouldn't use any LAWs in the front charger headlight housings b/c i have yet to see LAWs that truly work well (IMO) with that housing.

i would def. consider making the wig-wag pattern on your HLF a faster alternating speed.

and obviously, u can always consider upgrading to a full-size interior lightbar (ie pinnacle or edge) but it sounds like money is a bit tight right now, so i think just stick to the intersectors and playing with the speed of the HLF for now

opskmallory

Jun 14, 2010
Utah
I'd agree that moving your TIR6 to the front of the grille would help. Maybe swap them for LIN6's or M4's to enhance your angles. Mirror beams would be good, but as indicated above, you would lose some covertness. But that would also happen if you move your grille lights too.

Either add another slimlighter and mount one on each side, or sell it, and put the money towards an interior bar.

May 22, 2010
Central WV
I agree that Intersectors would help you out. They would give you side, intersection, and some forward coverage. If you don't have the money for a full interior bar, I would either get a second Super Slimlighter like someone suggested or sell it and get a different dash light to mount below the RVM. An avenge/talon, Dual Predator II, or Viper should do the trick. Of course they aren't going to provide you with the warning power or footprint of an interior bar, but I understand money is tight...I think everyone is in the same boat right now.

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
I would say add some white or red soundoff intersectors. Maybe swap out the slimlighter for a viper s2. And if you can get your hands on some inner beams those would help too. A trooper that lives by me and they seem to be highly effective.

May 22, 2010
Central WV
You could also try doing one of the TDWL 24s in red on the front windshield to give you more of an interior lightbar. You would just have to make custom brackets and order a flashshield. $225 plus $12 shipping is a great deal for one and the same price as a new Avenger or dual Predator II. Let me know if you are interested ASAP because I only have two avaliable. http://www.elightbars.org/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7258

PM sent also.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.