Need a little help re-programming fedsig!

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
Hi friends,

Have a marked car here at work that somehow the SmartSiren controller got messed up (Integrity lightbar). Basically the only function that is currently working is the front flood function when the slide switch is in position 3. [Should normally be a 360' flash in position 3) No other functions work on the box including siren tones, with the exception of the "PA" button which turns on the rear lights only.. I have NO idea how it got this messed up... It has a interface box in the trunk... but as far as I can tell... I can simply download the SmartSiren software on my laptop, then attempt to reprogram the functions from there by plugging a cat5 cable into the siren head?

Thanks for the help.. My superiors like to order every single vehicle with different brands of equipment so I'm fairly new to Federal Signal.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I'm assuming this is for a SmartSiren Platinum...? If so, use the following PDF link and read up how to do it... Connect the control pad it to the software using the FedSig Programming Cable (it is NOT a standard CAT5, I believe its a Cross-Over cable). Then you have to put the Control Pad in "Program Mode". Then you can program the unit how ever is desired...

Reactions: LED

SEPD_52

Dec 24, 2014
Illinois
Hey there Pal, (South Park reference)

It sounds like the Federal Signal SSP somehow reset itself. Depending on where it was installed at in the trunk it may have been corrupted by moisture. (Hopefully not)

You are correct in that you will need to download the SSP configuration software from Federal Signal's website (https://www.fedsig.com/software-downloads) onto the laptop. You'll also need a CAT5 crossover cable that will allow the laptop to talk to the SSP. You can find them cheap on Amazon or eBay. I will try to recall from my memory from this point on as it's been over a year since I last used the configuration software.

Prior to connecting the cable you may need to change settings on your laptop so that will recognize the SSP as an allowed connection (instructions are in the software guide, fairly easy as long as the account to log in the laptop with is an administrator, otherwise I'd recommend a personal laptop). Turn off the SSP/squad, connect the laptop and SSP controller head via the crossover cable, and turn on the SSP in program mode (also in the instructions). Once you're connected, you'll have the ability to copy the settings of the controller as it is currently (which I'd recommend just in case things get worse somehow) and can then start making changes in the software to dictate which button does what. Once you're done making the corrections in the software you'll select a menu item in the software that will program those changes, turn off power to the SSP/squad and when you turn it back on your new settings should be, well... set. I had to learn all of this the hard way as I also had a squad that was not programed well.

I hope the helps and isn't as clear as mud. I encourage anyone else to chime in case I'm not remembering things correctly.

Reactions: LED

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
Thanks guys, I’ll give it a shot this afternoon see how it goes. This particular vehicle should have been retired long ago so the moisture issue could be right on the money.. we shall see

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.