Need advises about my first install

TactMedic

Oct 31, 2016
Canada
Hi There !

I will do my first install on a friend's truck. He's starting his own business and ask me to install his equipments.

What he have :

- 4 Feniex T3 for the grille ( Total of 3mA or 0.003 A)
- 2 Cannons HAW (2A total)
- 2 T3 in a custom dash shield (3mA Total)
- 1 Motorola CDM 40W (13.5A what I red in the Motorola docs)
- 1 Orion M7100 50W (15A what I red on RadioReference Forum)
- 1 Cypress Chameleon CTM-200 Modem (400mA)

After some researches I plan to do the following :

- 1 x 8AWG on a 50A breaker to a fuse block then:
- 1 x 12AWG to the CDM1550 with a 15A Fuse
- 1 x 10AWG to the Orion with a 20A fuse
- 1 x 22AWG to the CTM200 modem with a 2A fuse
- 1 x 15AWG with a 3A fuse for the Cannons
- 1 x 26 AWG to the 4 T3 with a 1A fuse

Do I make the things right ?

Thanks !

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I'd fuse the T3's at a higher amperage imo.. Probably use a larger gauge wire on them as well.

Whats the distance between the fuse panel to the radios? distance between the fuse panel and the T3's? You could probably get by with smaller gauge wire for the radios dependent on distance..

Negative cable? Bus bar? Grounding to where?

No rear lights? just forward grille? dash/deck/windshield/lightbar? Controller or switch(es) for control? Planning on making a "master" kill switch for everything?

TactMedic

Oct 31, 2016
Canada
I'd fuse the T3's at a higher amperage imo.. Probably use a larger gauge wire on them as well.

Whats the distance between the fuse panel to the radios : 3 inches for orion and 2 feet for cdm. distance between the fuse panel and the T3's: 6 feet.

Negative cable: I plan use the same gauge as positive. I have a ground plate on my buse block. Main ground to the frame.

He don't know yet what he will put on the rear but probably 2 T3's and 2 cannons. Controller or switch(es) for control: yes a DnR controller fot he siren and Lights but they already provide me an installatiom guide. I will wire it direct to the battery and separate Ground on the frame. Then the T3's and Cannoms will be wired to the proper place on the controller. Planning on making a "master" kill switch for everything?: Yes I will put a breaker close to the battery for the fuse block as I wrote in my original post and a separate one for the controller

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
The mA (milliamp) numbers can't be right. As a rule of thumb, allow 1 A for each LED head. There's no need to get complicated with different wire sizes for each circuit. You can use 12 AWG, 20 A circuits for the radios and 18 AWG, 5 A for everything else.

TactMedic

Oct 31, 2016
Canada
Tha ks a lot !

I red the Feniex specs and they wrote 0.75 mA per T3 so thats the reason why I wrote this. After I used a DC gauge calculator. If you have some docs or website about this that you are ready to share it will be really appreciated

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
If you are wiring up a (DNR) controller as well I'd put that on the same main line from the battery. No need running multiple "main" power wires from the battery into the vehicle. Just upgrade the main batt cable wire, increase the breaker and fuse stuff appropriately.

Heck the lights you can run completely off the power from the controller itself.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.