Need Help ID'ing Late 80's Siren

Discussion in 'Q&A: Audible Warning Help' started by ProPatriaNeverPassAFault, Oct 12, 2017 at 5:28 AM.

1. ProPatriaNeverPassAFault

ProPatriaNeverPassAFault Registered Member

For the life of me, I can't identify the siren in the attached picture. It looks a lot like a Whelen, but I don't think it is. I suspect that it may have been made by D&R Electronics. Love the control panel, though. Seems a bit clunky to have to turn on each of the emergency lights and the siren individually, though. I have no idea what the red cap connected to the chain is either...

OPP_Cruiser_Control Panel.jpg

2. MtnMan

MtnMan Senior Member

Southern Vehicle Products (SVP) SA-400, manufactured by Carson.

3. ProPatriaNeverPassAFault

Thank you! I've heard of Carson, but never SVP. Were they only around for a while or were/are they a lesser-known manufacturer? What was the general quality of their equipment?

4. CHIEFOPS

CHIEFOPS Senior Member

Southern Vehicle Products, later Signal Vehicle Products was a mainstream siren & light company, Star Headlight Company acquired them about 15 years ago. IIRC, SVP was the company that introduced the "phaser" siren tone in place of the Hi-Lo tone.
    The red doohicky may be a cigarette jack insert to prevent stuff from entering the jack when it's not in use.

5. ProPatriaNeverPassAFault

I just watched a couple of videos of the SVP-400. It's a beautiful-sounding siren, IMO. Hearing it took me back to the early 90s. They just don't make them like that any more.

6. coop359

coop359 Member Silver Level Member

What's the light controller in the photo? Cool old school console.

7. ProPatriaNeverPassAFault

I think it's from Canadian General Electric. This is the control panel of an Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) patrol car from the late 80s. I'm in the same boat as you, I totally dig the panel.

8. NPS Ranger

NPS Ranger Veteran Member

Help yourself....
    http://www.carson-mfg.com/sa-400-classic.php

9. ProPatriaNeverPassAFault

10. MtnMan

MtnMan Senior Member

Old ones are pretty easy to find. The current version is digital and doesn’t sound the same.

11. ProPatriaNeverPassAFault

I watched some videos on YouTube and the current version really doesn't sound the same. It just doesn't have that distinct richness of an older siren. It reminds me of comparing a CD to a vinyl record. The CD may be cleaner-sounding, but it just doesn't have the warmth and depth of vinyl. Much like how vinyl records are popular again, the older styles of siren tones need to make a resurgence IMO.