Need help on FX8 TX3 50"

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I was given two Freedom (?) bars, DOM 2008, with the mandate to get one of them to work. One bar had the wiring harness(es) removed. The other bar has two cables coming from it. One cable has all white w/ different colour tracer wires, which I assume is for the operation of the TA, and I have a controller for it (TACTLD1).

What it strange to me is that the other cable coming out of the bar has the same colour wires (red, blue, yellow, gray, etc.) that are already attached to the output of the TA head (stubby ends chopped off). Did I inherit something that someone else messed up, or am I just not realizing the order in which the TA head and switch panel go (like, in series somehow)? I can provide photos if this doesn't make sense.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Switch box and small cable.JPG
This is the switch panel and the the smaller of the two cables from the bar.

TA and small cable.JPG
Here's that same smaller cable with the stubs coming out of the TA. (The colours seem to match.)

Large cable.JPG
And here's the larger of the two cables that go into the bar.

I have not been into the bar yet, so don't know if the terminations on that end are stock or have been messed with.

The other bar has only a small cable going into it. Both have the TA amber modules.

They don't seem to power up according to Whelen install sheet: 13745V
colours.png

???

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Jazz, have you power and ground to the bar as you try to power up any pairings?.. I'm not terribly familiar with this version Freedom but you need to have power to the bar before any "options" can be activated..

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I guess I really need to open the bar up and check where everything terminates. It's odd that there seems to be about 4 negative (black) conductors. I assume that if one isn't making a good contact, the whole process won't function.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Im believing your bar to be a "Texas DPS" variant and therefore would need the suitable install guide, to know for sure how this needs to function properly. There may be a specific controller needed for this.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
The switch panel and TA controller came with the bar. (I assume they did not throw in some unrelated stuff just to vex me.) I guess I could call Whelen to see if they have some Texas-specific install sheet.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
All 4 black wires are ground, the Grey and Red are the corners, the front corners won't flash without the rear corners activated. The yellow is the right alley, white is left alley, white/black and white/orange are the takedowns. White/brown and White/Green are the rear center lights, the white/red is the front center flashers.
That's what I can remember off the top of my head.

Reactions: StEaLtH2

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
The bigger of the 2 cables is the bar. Lg red and black to (=) and (-) and whites w/tracers are your control leads. The rest of the black wires go to (-). This is a HC bar so no LC switching w/o relays. The harness with the solid color wires is the TA cable..

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
The controller is a TACTLD1, of that I'm sure.

The switch box is just that- a switch box. It's just odd that the switch box has stubs that are the same colour as the TA cable.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I hope to get some time this weekend to try your out your identifications. Thanks!

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Got a drawing from Whelen. It seems one of the bars was re-wired.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
You can't replace the lamp in the TDs?

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I don't know, yet. I'm still troubleshooting the bars. It's just odd that you have to replace the whole (cheap plastic) fixture, and not just the lamp.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
I don't know, yet. I'm still troubleshooting the bars. It's just odd that you have to replace the whole (cheap plastic) fixture, and not just the lamp.

Is it just a 400 Halogen? Because I used to think you couldn't replace the halogen bulbs in the 500s and 700s until I damn near broke one removing it and found out that its just a hardcore locking mechanism that holds the bulbs in.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
It looks like it should turn, but I can't seem to do it. I hear cracking as I try, similar to the sound of the cement breaking in an Edison base lamp when it's corroded into the fixture.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Jazz, it's possible u need the bulb removal tool which is a small metal tool that came with replacement bi-pin halogen bulbs that fit in to release the tab that is locking it in.
Any pics of the takedown and entire bar?

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Yeah JAzz its not a 'twist lock' bulb LOL, they pull straight out. I had no idea they had a special tool for it though.....

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Well, it looks like the tool is used to get leverage under the lamp, and not stress it by pulling directly on the glass. I will have the JDI prototype shop make one up for me.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Took the bars apart last night. Someone had gotten into them and paralleled the amber TA lights to the red and blue (amber flashes with red and amber flashes with blue). The wires were twisted together and some electrical tape was partially wrapped around the 'connections'. I imagine some of the interior harnesses are missing.

Why do I always get projects that seem simple until I actually get into them?
oh.jpg

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
And that is why you should always open up the bar to verify. ;) Trying to decipher wires is almost impossible nowadays when people are messing around with the guts of these things.

It's always better to take a peek to make sure everything is as it should be.

Tony

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I'm finally to the stage of buttoning the first bar back up. I can't believe the stupid pattern it had. (My wife had come out to the shop and asked why the bar had purple lights. :D) I've now got a nice alternating pattern, one colour on at a time, with some dark time in between.

Question: What other LED modules will fit this model Freedom? I've got some bad extended corners, and need to determine if having Wilson repair them is the most economical way to get the second bar up.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Sorting out the wiring on the 2nd bar.

P1060285.JPG

Frame has been trimmed. Lenses cut (thanks, Chief Paul). Mounts made. I just need to finish the low current relay interface board.

And No, Jarred, the lawn tractor battery is not going in the bar.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
lawn tractor batteries arent really "solar" friendly...

Reactions: JazzDad

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
This is taking forever!

The thermometer on the car read 104° on the way home last night. I ate dinner and went out to the garage where I literally crimped one wire on the bar and had to go back into the air conditioned house. It was that hot.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
It was raining so I got a lot done. Just need to take the old bar off the Jazzmobile, mount the new one, run a new control wire and I'm done! I will post a video.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Got the old JetStrobe off and the new brackets mounted to the roof rails. (This is a no-drill project.) Every time I begin to attach the new bar it rains.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Finally installed the bar. I estimated it would take me 2 hours - it took 4. I will post a video soon. (Maybe in 6 to 8 weeks.)

Reactions: Dave F and StEaLtH2

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Barn was built in 2002. I guess I just like red. Have a red tractor, red truck, red side-by-side...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.