Need help with air horns!

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
To All,

I have come into possession of a set of Grover air horns. Also a 6 gallons tank, viair compressor and a pressure switch. I have hooked up a set of these before so I am familiar with the process. But my question is this. My 2004 F150 has a topper on it. I am planning on mounting the compressor and the tank to a board. But I also want the tank assembly up off the floor of my truck bed. I am wondering the best way to put the board with the tank on a shelf up off the floor.

I will add a video of my truck so everyone can see it.

Thanks,
Jmamrak

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I'd use a 2x4 or 2x6 frame. Think like a floor joist. Run a 2x across the width of the bed 16-20 inches from the bed nose. Some truck beds have cut outs or molded areas of the bed metal to put a 2x on edge, thus creating a pocketed area.

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
I'd use a 2x4 or 2x6 frame. Think like a floor joist. Run a 2x across the width of the bed 16-20 inches from the bed nose. Some truck beds have cut outs or molded areas of the bed metal to put a 2x on edge, thus creating a pocketed area.

That’s a great idea! I can do that. Is there any better way to run the lines? I was going to drill and use a rubber gromet. Also I have 2 sets of 2 Grover horns. Should I hook up one set (2 horns) or 2 sets (4 horns?)

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
FOUR? Why yes hook them all up so we can see/hear the insane sound output, lol.

In all seriousness though 2 should be more than enough for a POV. I had a single WOLO chief horn on my Silverado and it was 100db at 30ft on 90psi. The key is to use bigger diameter hose. Delivers a tad more air volume. I used ice maker tubing originally. Bumped it up to bigger diameter rubber fuel line and got a 5db boost. It's not much but it did make a difference.

Reactions: JazzDad

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Well if you are Using a Ford F250 or 350 Diesel Truck then youd want the full 4 horns so While Blowing down the road Sounding like a Train youd want that Full Train Horn Sound when Approaching Intersections and Grades and Rail Crossings to Freak the Hell out of People!

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
Haha those are good ideas. I will see how much space I have. leaning towards just 2 horns.

FOUR? Why yes hook them all up so we can see/hear the insane sound output, lol.

In all seriousness though 2 should be more than enough for a POV. I had a single WOLO chief horn on my Silverado and it was 100db at 30ft on 90psi. The key is to use bigger diameter hose. Delivers a tad more air volume. I used ice maker tubing originally. Bumped it up to bigger diameter rubber fuel line and got a 5db boost. It's not much but it did make a difference.
Well if you are Using a Ford F250 or 350 Diesel Truck then youd want the full 4 horns so While Blowing down the road Sounding like a Train youd want that Full Train Horn Sound when Approaching Intersections and Grades and Rail Crossings to Freak the Hell out of People!

What do you guys think about adding a secondary deep cycle battery? I am running emergency lights, electronic siren, mechanical siren (C5), 300 watt inverter, and also now the viair compressor. I am considering adding a 2500 watt inverter. I have 2 battery boxes and 2 deep cycle batteries. This inverter would be for camping. Everything else is for emergency responses.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I read somewhere once that dual stutter tones kind of like siren speakers only make a very marginal difference if they’re the same tone. Infact, the biggest effect you’ll see is draining your air tank twice as quickly with 2....

I ran a single stutter tone on my Tahoe once upon a time. MORE than adequate. My seat always vibrates!! And people ALWAYS moved.

Ive seen engines in my area actually disable their second horn as they haven’t found much difference in sounds output and it conserves air pressure. Second horn ends up being for symmetrical esthetics.

Put a single one up under your frame up under the passenger seat facing forward if there’s space. That’s where I put mine and it did the job.

Good luck!
Seth

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
im sorry what were you saying??? ( places hand to ear ) alot of those sirens now a days can barely be heard when they are driving down the road... sometimes you can barely hear them behind you... but a full on mechanical like the qsirens Ill Be Damned if you cant hear and feel that blowing down the road!

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
What do you mean about “overdriving a siren and no one will hear me” ?

I was being facetious, if you have mechanical & electronic sirens & a real airhorn, adding a Rumbler would be gross overkill.

Every EVOC class warns about "overdriving your siren," past a certain speed the people in front can no longer hear you. Since the speed of sound at sea level is about 770 MPH, it's unlikely you're going to be literally driving faster than your siren sound. What they mean is, with wind noise and engine noise and everything else inside a car, the faster you go the less likely you're going to hear a siren until the emergency vehicle is right behind you.

Reactions: JazzDad

soutthpaw

May 2, 2018
Sparks, NV
Don't forget all the Deaf and hard of hearing drivers out there as well. folks with Bluetooth headsets and earbuds listening to music or talking on phone etc.

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
I was being facetious, if you have mechanical & electronic sirens & a real airhorn, adding a Rumbler would be gross overkill.

Every EVOC class warns about "overdriving your siren," past a certain speed the people in front can no longer hear you. Since the speed of sound at sea level is about 770 MPH, it's unlikely you're going to be literally driving faster than your siren sound. What they mean is, with wind noise and engine noise and everything else inside a car, the faster you go the less likely you're going to hear a siren until the emergency vehicle is right behind you.

Hahaha that’s funny! I get it now!! ( 2 days after the joke was told!!! Lol)

I’ve heard the concept of outrunning your siren effectiveness. I prefer the dual tone effectiveness of the mechanical/electronic. The air horns are icing on the cake.
I watch this guy nutnfancy on YouTube and he says there are two types of cool. The 1st type of cool is effectiveness and purpose built items. 2nd type of cool is something you do because you love it and it really serves no practical purpose. It just makes you hard.
I don’t know where the line is drawn but I like my toys!

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
Have you guys ever noticed sluggish performance from your 12v air solenoid when cold? Mine seems to be sluggish and I don’t know if it’s the cold or the solenoid itself. It’s supposed to warm up soon so hopefully I’ll find out.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I’ve had that happen with the solonoid mounted at the horns. If you can bring the solonoid inside to your compressor. Should fix the problem.

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
Is it possible the magnetic field collapsing from the solenoid is hurting my switches? Would a diode help? Similar to an AC compressor clutch circuit?

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
I got the switch fixed. And sold my dual Grover truck horns and bought a new wolo chief. It sounds much better with that single wolo on it. I measured 128 dB at 1 foot.

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
How did you take your measurement? I ask because your measured sound pressure level is double what the manufacturer has listed for the Wolo Chief.

I am using the NIOSH application on my phone. Which should be accurate to 1%. My measurements were on that app at various pressures to find the maximum. I would bet that their maximum is from 10 feet instead of 1 foot. I know the Q2b measurements are done at 10 feet. Thoughts?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
You're exactly right. The listed rating of 125 dB is meaningless without knowing the distance from the horn at which it was measured.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.