Need wiring info for Whelen TIR3

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
A buddy of mine wants to know the wiring setup for a couple of used TIR3s, but since I don't use them, I don't want to lead him astray. I assumed red is positive and black is ground, but what is white and gray, and do they go to positive or negative? Also, they were made in July of 2006, so does anyone know if they might still be under warranty?

Thanks for any help.

SurfCityCar2

May 20, 2010
Jacksonville, NC
On all of the TIR3s that I have seen there are 4 wires.

Color of LED (Red, blue yellow etc) - Power +in (12vdc)

Black - ground

White w/purple stripe - ScanLock (pattern change) when LED is running touch this wire to 12vdc+ and the pattern will change

Grey - Sync wire if using multiple TIR3s, when all are set to the same pattern or a different "phase" of the same pattern, the lights will synchronize with each other

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
SurfCityCar2 said:
Color of LED (Red, blue yellow etc) - Power +in (12vdc)
This is not always true... The very first ones were all red power cable regardless of the LED color... The 2 I have are this way... but all the newer ones are color coded power wire...

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
I have a red and a blue TIR3, both have a red power wire, but the amber and white TIR3's I have are newer and amber has a yellow power wire and white has a white power wire (both have a white with violet trace wire for pattern selection)

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
These TIR3s are clear when on but have a red wire for 12V +. The wiring info that was first listed is correct, so they're original generation units. Don't know their history, but both work great for their age!

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
My TIR3's have a red, black, blue & yellow wires.... what wire changes the patterns? 

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.