New Ambulance, Manufacturer?!?

KRC845

Jun 27, 2010
Newcastle, OK
This is one of two new Ambulances one of our fire departments received a few weeks ago but I can not figure out the manufacturer.

I have checked Excellance and I dont see this truck on their recent deliveries page so im guess its not Excellance.

rescue5.jpeg

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
Well by the sticker on the Right front fender above the side air intake, it is a wheeled coach. It also had the typical Wheeled Corner lights that are built into the box.

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
I agree they use built in corner lights on the box

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
John Marcson, parade pisser checking in....

Sorry, but wheeled coach corner strobes are worthless. I have personal experience with them on several occasions. The bulbs are expensive and they are amber to the front of a moving emergency vehicle (NFPA and KKK noncomplaint). Also, if the truck is correctly outfitted with corner primary lights these strobes are totally drowned out. I consider them a gimick w/o real warning value.

So -10 on wheeled coach marker light strobes from me....

asweezy

May 20, 2010
Wellsville, NY
JohnMarcson said:
John Marcson, parade pisser checking in....

I don't like the wheeled coach corner strobes. I have personal experience with them on several occasions. The bulbs are expensive and they amber to the front of a moving emergency vehicle. Also, if the truck is correctly outfitted with corner primary lights these strobes are totally drowned out. I consider them a gimick w/o real warning value.

The newer wheeled coaches use an LED in the corner instead of the strobes. The strobes were bad the lens would not seal and bulbs burn out regularly. The new LEDs I almost believe are a TIR style I have not removed the cover but I remember seeing in someone’s part book (I think Whelen can't remember) "Wheeled Coach Corner Light Mount" or something like that.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
asweezy said:
The newer wheeled coaches use an LED in the corner instead of the strobes. The strobes were bad the lens would not seal and bulbs burn out regularly. The new LEDs I almost believe are a TIR style I have not removed the cover but I remember seeing in someone’s part book (I think Whelen can't remember) "Wheeled Coach Corner Light Mount" or something like that.

LEDs would be much better. You could use a clear outer lens and colored LED to avoid the amber to the front issue.

localhero800

May 22, 2010
Southeast Missouri
I aree on the strobes being crap.. i dont like them at all. You cant see them in the day, and if you have anything more than a mini bar on the bus, they get drowned out with the other lights..

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Love it but i have always preferred the van units but either way good looking unit :cool:

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
My home city has at least one newer ambulance with corner marker lights built into the box, and they do flash but not with strobes - they're LEDs that alternate between their normal running-light brightness, and somewhat brighter. Not nearly as effective as the surface-mount LEDs though. I have better pix if needed, just too lazy to look them up.

ai460.photobucket.com_albums_qq330_nerdlydood_foe_toez_DSC01334.jpg

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
wheeled coach has the best ambulance, hands down. their custom series is perfect

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
wheeled coach has the best ambulance, hands down. their custom series is perfect

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
hitechrednex said:

I will beg to differ. I have operated out of both Wheeled Coach, McCoy Miller, Excellence and Horton. By far, I will say Horton is better. There quality of Manufacturing, and there safety is just amazing.

May 22, 2010
Central WV
I have been in quite a few different brands of ambulances in WV and IN through one reason or another with the departments I'm with. I have to say the AEV TraumaHawk that my Vol EMS service has in IN is really nice, well laid out, and is built great. Anyone else had much experience in an AEV ambulance?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
If you want high end, Horton is great. If you have a limited budget, AEV offers agreat combo of features and price. I have not been impressed w/ wheeled coach, but all the wheeled coachs I have been in are the "stock" low end models.

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
i have been in a few different ones around central fl. the best that i have seem thus far, is the wheeled coach custom series with either a f450 chassis or the international truck chassis. but then again, wheeled coach is the majority here, so i may be biased a little. :geek: :arrow: :ugeek:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
hitechrednex said:
i have been in a few different ones around central fl. the best that i have seem thus far, is the wheeled coach custom series with either a f450 chassis or the international truck chassis. but then again, wheeled coach is the majority here, so i may be biased a little. :geek: :arrow: :ugeek:
Wheeled coach offers a very large range of products. They range from very low cost to very custom and high end. I have only had experience with their economy models, and I have heard good things about their custom series.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
Wheeled Roach? in the 80's and 90's everyone had them here. Now they had issues with the dealer and electrical issues they are far and few. The majority of rigs are Medtec. My Department has had 9 Medtec model 1 and Freightliner and interntional units from them since 1993 and never had an issue.

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
The wheeled coach corner lights were designed to be part of the ICC light set up and not intended to be primary warning lights hence the reason for amber front red rear. They do the job they are intended for and that is to mark the corners of the box thereby establishing the dimensions of the unit in darkness. In most situatuations its a moot point and they are nothing more than dim auxilary warning lights. However in our industrial environment they have proven effective. They allow the corners of the box to be seen when driving through the factory. I think one aid unit has strobe and the other LED, i like the LED's better.

From our Renton site http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/ab ... aid20.html

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Twenty five years ago you couldn't give me a Horton ambulance, Their workmanship was terrible and the interiors looked like cardboard. Back then my FD bought nothing but W/C. But Horton has turned things around in the past 10-15 years, and I think they now build one of best units.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.