New Anne Arundel County, MD BLS units

hoisy71

Sep 10, 2011
Baltimore, MD
Anne Arundel County has purchased 2 sprinter/Horton Ambrose for BLS units. One will be going to the busiest unit in the county running 30+ calls a day out of station 33-Glen Burnie (338). The other is a added unit going to station 18-Marley (189)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Most of my favorite apparatus & ambulances come from MD (ie Prince George's), but I'm not a huge fan of this. I like Horton & I've driven the sprinter vans before, but it's not s vehicle I'd like to be driving in code 3. On the plus side of this particular unit, I do like the solid intersection warning; I really liked horton's (3) 500 series intersection light for freighliner chassis builds.

However, I think a pair of grill lights on each side of the Mercedes logo would make this vehicle look better

Reactions: Doug

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
If they have one unit running 30+ calls in one shift it sounds like they need a second unit in that area. 

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
Nothing but problems with our merc sprinter. The ride is harsh doors have a mind of their own, top heavy, and ours has 2 beacons on the roof that keep getting knocked out.

Also as someone on an engine that runs 13 calls a day that is a lot, 30 is too many they need to cut that district in half

On the plus side I like the boxes on the front bumper

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
Most of my favorite apparatus & ambulances come from MD (ie Prince George's), but I'm not a huge fan of this. I like Horton & I've driven the sprinter vans before, but it's not s vehicle I'd like to be driving in code 3. On the plus side of this particular unit, I do like the solid intersection warning; I really liked horton's (3) 500 series intersection light for freighliner chassis builds.

However, I think a pair of grill lights on each side of the Mercedes logo would make this vehicle look better
Not sure what a pair of 9Ms would do to airflow through the grille, butI like the idea of them for grille lighting.

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
It's definitely different, but unless you are going HD or a pick up chassis, this will be the look going forward (not necessarily MB, just the design language). I can't tell how this compares size wise though, is that a standard sized box on the rear?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I have dealt with everything from vans to medium duty of all major companies.  I have had nothing but problems with all of them.  The ambulance industry really has very limited light duty modular ambulance chassis options.  Ford dropped the diesel E-series.  In the small modular world, sprinters are starting to look like the best of the options. 

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I have dealt with everything from vans to medium duty of all major companies.  I have had nothing but problems with all of them.  The ambulance industry really has very limited light duty modular ambulance chassis options.  Ford dropped the diesel E-series.  In the small modular world, sprinters are starting to look like the best of the options. 
I am curious to see if anyone will use the Ford Transit or Ram ProVan...I don't think either would make that great of an ambulance option though.

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
There needs to be a different way to to the type1 style so you can use the truck cab. We had 1 that we made as a prototype when the e350 rumor started and it just didn't work well in our city. It was a little too long, the turn radius wasn't as nice and it was heavier. But that said we did move it to a northern County and they love it. But they don't get their roads plowed as often as us city medics

We use the e350s and have 1 merc/dodge sprinter and no one likes the sprinter. Tons of issues. It sounds like they may make the switch to gassers from diesels.

Chris W

Mar 27, 2014
NJ
There needs to be a different way to to the type1 style so you can use the truck cab. We had 1 that we made as a prototype when the e350 rumor started and it just didn't work well in our city. It was a little too long, the turn radius wasn't as nice and it was heavier. But that said we did move it to a northern County and they love it. But they don't get their roads plowed as often as us city medics

We use the e350s and have 1 merc/dodge sprinter and no one likes the sprinter. Tons of issues. It sounds like they may make the switch to gassers from diesels.
Quite a few F series ambulances around here.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.