Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Links;

Web page PDF Siren tones

e-Q2B_0.jpg

Availability is mid April.

Significant new features;

• Class D amp draws less power (20a, vs about 32a for the previous version)
  • "Convergence" network compatible (same as Smartsiren Platinum, Legend, Valor, etc)
  • Air horn tone no longer overrides the siren tones
  • Outputs to allow Rumbler to be used with the eQ2b
  • Redesigned keypad
  • diagnostic lights on amp
  • better power connectors
  • has a park-kill input
  • horn-ring input for siren tone cycling

List price is $1587.50.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
lagunagrande said:
I don't see why the price is $1,500? It's like any other siren out there except for its tones

Simply because it says "Federal Signal"

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
I thought there was going to be a piercer? And why the f would they stop having the air horn override the siren?

Edit:

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
The video was FDIC 2010 according to the timestamp on the video, yet it's the new control head. Something wrong there?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
As i said before... there better be a way to disable the keypad beep....

911caddy

Mar 28, 2011
Canada BC
My local FS dealer is offering the eQ siren for 1199.00 (Cdn) until the end of the month. Still too much dough for what it is. I'm still puzzled why FS added yet another siren tone with their eQ siren. IMO it should just be the Q wail nothing else. I realize some communities need the faster tone for Traffic Preemption devices that work on siren tone. But, I still don't like it. My 2 cents.

I'd rather buy a Super Chief from B&M!

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
gman021 said:
Does anyone know why on earth they wouldn't have the airhorn override the siren??

They had that, and people didn't like it, so they made the airhorn sound over top of the siren.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
911caddy said:
My local FS dealer is offering the eQ siren for 1199.00 (Cdn) until the end of the month. Still too much dough for what it is. I'm still puzzled why FS added yet another siren tone with their eQ siren. IMO it should just be the Q wail nothing else. I realize some communities need the faster tone for Traffic Preemption devices that work on siren tone. But, I still don't like it. My 2 cents.
I'd rather buy a Super Chief from B&M!

Glad you got the email, Cliff! :)

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
I think it sounds much better with the air horn that doesn't override the siren; there was too much of a pause when you used the horn. The only advantage of the eQ is the current draw- you can put it on vehicles that you wouldn't really want a real Q on, like ambulances. Once it's wound up it doesn't sound bad but the first 2-3 seconds are really bad.

I saw a response video last night with an eQ and a Whelen siren. The problem was that they had the eQ on that shitty yelp tone and the Whelen on wail. WTF is that?

911caddy

Mar 28, 2011
Canada BC
Thanks Mark for sending it along. I also forwarded it to several folks. I'm glad to see the amp draw has been reduced! And the air horn tone not interupting the primary signal is the way to go for sure!!

I'm still tempted to put one on my Visa.. Ugh.

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
Imagine if a whelen siren airhorn didn't override the siren, that would blow ass! When I want airhorn, I click the airhorn button for a nice "burrrrr". If it doesn't interrupt the siren, then it's not going to be loud enough to make a difference

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
gman021 said:
Does anyone know why on earth they wouldn't have the airhorn override the siren??

One possibility is liability, the air horn tone is at a much lower frequency and most speakers in use today will not produce the db rating at this low frequency required by various regulating bodies. Most electronic siren/speaker db sweet spots are 1000-2000 hz. Below is a recording of my former Xecutor -1 with a TS-100 speaker. You can see the db varying according to frequency and at the end you can see the low output of the airhorn.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v691_Henry455_Xecutor_th_XecSPL.jpg

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Henry455, very interesting video, thanks for posting. It would be great to see the SPL measured alongside an oscilloscope displaying the frequency.

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
To illustrate my speaker "sweet spot" comment, below are 2 Atlas Sound siren speakers. Look at the frequency vs db graphs, they are somewhat different although they use the same 11 ohm siren driver. I wish all speaker manufactures would publish this info.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v691_Henry455_Xecutor_I080626152209110eeac.png

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v691_Henry455_Xecutor_AtlasSoundsirenspeakerA.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v691_Henry455_Xecutor_I080611111854909595e.png

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v691_Henry455_Xecutor_AtlasSoundsirenspeakerB.jpg

chiefolson

Jul 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I certainly hope that Federal has conquered the gremlin that is currently infecting the product they have on the streets. We've had to replace numerous amplifiers in the past few months. Fortunately, we have a few extras on the shelf to keep ambulances on the road while the original boxes are going back for repair. The bad part is that ones they have repaired are still going out. New trucks in production are going with the Carson SA-441M. Have used the EQ2b in ambulances and QRVs for many years and have never had the issues that we are today.

Oh well....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.