New Federal Signal Valor LED lightbar

john9912

Oct 5, 2010
Sparta, NJ
I was lucky to see the new Federal Signal Valor lightbar last week. I was impressed. It is a triangular shaped bar for increased off-axis / side visibility. Multiple LED colors the entire on all sides of the bar. You can have the front flashing switching

between red and white on one side and blue and white on the other side. Red and amber across half the back and blue and amber across the other side in the back. Switch the signalmaster function on and have amber across the back. Turn on the flood light option and have the entire front BRIGHT all white. LED take down and alley lights. Works best with the new smart siren premium controller. That way there is no serial breakout box and the controller communicates directly with the lightbar through the RS-485 serial interface.

This is the first new Federal Signal product that has excited me in a long time. Very nice product. I have the PDF sell sheet too. Federal Signal says it should be available sometime around December.

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
spartybob said:
.......and very expensive.........and very heavy.....

and very butt ugly with those monstrous mounting feet.....like those Rontan "Winglux" bars...........fugly..........

If FedSig had any sense they'd offer those multi-color options and functions on the Legend bar so it can stay competitive with the 2010 Liberty and SoundOff Pinnacle.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
cajunblitz said:
If FedSig had any sense they'd offer those multi-color options and functions on the Legend bar so it can stay competitive with the 2010 Liberty and SoundOff Pinnacle.
that's what I wondered. You almost think they only plan on selling it to NYPD, since they are stuck on V bars..

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
dustymedic said:
that's what I wondered. You almost think they only plan on selling it to NYPD, since they are stuck on V bars..
I think NYPD might go with the Vision SLR, which has the color options of the Valor but in the rotating package of the Vision, with slimmer pods that aren't as tall, all clear domes.

I think FedSig might wanna consider putting a wafer of colored plastic on the top Vision SLR pods so they look colored when it's turned off, like they did with the Arjent and Legend.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
nerdly_dood said:
I think NYPD might go with the Vision SLR, which has the color options of the Valor but in the rotating package of the Vision, with slimmer pods that aren't as tall, all clear domes.

I think FedSig might wanna consider putting a wafer of colored plastic on the top Vision SLR pods so they look colored when it's turned off, like they did with the Arjent and Legend.

How would you decide what color wafer? The whole bar changes color....

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
What Cajun said...

The Legend is simply the best FedSig lightbar. Ever. Most reliable, brightest to date, lightest, easiest to install, cleanest looking, and best value. They were so proud of it in 2006 when it came out, and I believe it is the only reason they survived in the LED market. They could do a lot more with it and I don't see the point of the Valor in their current line-up. In any case, it is an impressive bar, bright, and lots of features. But it is heavy, bulky, odd-looking (to me), and I expect it to be expensive, compared to the Legend. I hope it is a success, I really do, but I don't think it has a chance in the current market in my area.

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
NYPD wouldnt be able to go to the Vision SLR, cause they need to have Blue to the rear. This wouldn't be able to happen unless they make the arrowstick different colors.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
ffjwhite said:
NYPD wouldnt be able to go to the Vision SLR, cause they need to have Blue to the rear. This wouldn't be able to happen unless they make the arrowstick different colors.
If FedSig made the bar able to change color for rear or front operation that'd make the bar a lot more awesome. The current Vector/Vision series can use colored inserts inside a clear dome (or different color LEDs inside a clear dome) to accomplish this, it'd be nice if the Vision SLR could do this with multicolor rotating LEDs.

NYPD could also use a pair of stationary blue LEDs in the rear headliner instead of using the rotating ones up top.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
cajunblitz said:
and very butt ugly with those monstrous mounting feet.....like those Rontan "Winglux" bars...........fugly..........

Big +1

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
We got both a Valor and Vison SLR in this week to demo. I took some videos with my phone, but they all ended up being crap. I am going to try to remember to bring my real camera with me and get better pics and vids. I am very impressed by both bars. They are brighter than anything I have seen out there. The Vision is neat, but I am not sure departments are going to want to go back to the big V shape, especially since there are so many smaller things out there on the market.

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
The VSLR can do multiple colors, but also can be ordered in only colors needed. So, you could have colored pods (if they make them) and clear pods similar to current Vision bars. And, IIRC, the LEDs can be coordinated with the stepper motor to illuminate certain colors in certain positions, in other words, the two end rotators could flash blue to the back as they spin, while showing red to side and front. Think about it...NYPD is FedSig's biggest account (from the horse's mouth), the VSLR is designed for them. I mean, the bar is even designed to shine light straight up for air unit observation.

I still don't understand the current craze of multiple colors, at least not as an industry-changing trend. Very few real applications for this that are not already taken care of with current designs. Oh well, whatever.

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
MPD 818 said:
We got both a Valor and Vison SLR in this week to demo. I took some videos with my phone, but they all ended up being crap. I am going to try to remember to bring my real camera with me and get better pics and vids. I am very impressed by both bars. They are brighter than anything I have seen out there. The Vision is neat, but I am not sure departments are going to want to go back to the big V shape, especially since there are so many smaller things out there on the market.

Here are my videos (of the valor... apparently i never uploaded the ones of the VisionSLR) and photos from Police Fleet Expo. I'm curious to know if they've changed anything else up on the ones you're seeing.

Valor

http://www.elightbars.org/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4557&start=15#p35162

Vison SLR

http://www.elightbars.org/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4557&start=15#p35173

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I've overall not been especially fond of LEDs, but the Valor and Vision SLR just seem too epic to find reasons to not like.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I know Las Vegas Metro has been using v-bars for a while and they aren't exactly small, either.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
RL1 said:
I know Las Vegas Metro has been using v-bars for a while and they aren't exactly small, either.
Those are the "old" VisionSolaris - the flash pattern capabilities of the Vision, with two clear halogen pods with traditional SmartVector/Vision capabilities, and 5 pods using stationary Solaris LEDs. Capable and reasonably effective, but in that sort of package I'd go with the halogen version any day.

Niles

Oct 19, 2010
AZ
MPD 818 said:

Any idea on when they'll be available and/or pricing. I'd definitely like to see some more videos too.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Niles said:
Any idea on when they'll be available and/or pricing. I'd definitely like to see some more videos too.

Still a few months away on both. I believe they'll have these (the Valor and the Vision SLR) at Copswest next month, though. I might be going, and if I do I'll certainly shoot some video.

May 22, 2010
New York City
the nypd, has a few new 2011 cars being outfitted as we speak with valors...... i seen one today in person...very impressed !!!

Niles

Oct 19, 2010
AZ
Came across this video. Do I see color changing depending on position of the rotator? :mrgreen:

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Niles said:
Came across this video. Do I see color changing depending on position of the rotator? :mrgreen:

Hell yeah! Check out the second bit where it's just the outer two rotators and look at the blue one on the right... is it really blue? :p

And check out 1:08 - looks like the other rotator is acting like a mirror.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
Came across this video. Do I see color changing depending on position of the rotator?
Yes, you can set it up to be amber to the rear, and then blue when the rotator comes to the front, or however you want it set up.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Quentin said:
at the end of the video they got the URL wrong
Yup, and FedSig doesn't have any relevant info whatsoever on their website. Their newest thing in their "Latest news" list is something about their "Amber Preferred Products list" and I think it's been the same for a while now.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Quentin said:
this was from 2010.... :no: :hopeless:

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!!!! lol. people bitch when an old thread is revived, and they bitch when people post more then one thread on a topic. Give the guy some credit, he used the search function and posted a relevant post in the proper thread.

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska
foxtrot5 said:
THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!!!! lol. people bitch when an old thread is revived, and they bitch when people post more then one thread on a topic. Give the guy some credit, he used the search function and posted a relevant post in the proper thread.

very true :thumbsup:

GTIdriver

Jun 17, 2013
San Diego CA.
Nothing wrong with reviving an old thread, especially since more and more of the Valor light bars are popping up on the new Ford Interceptor Utilities now hitting the streets.

jxndeputy

Jul 7, 2010
Marianna, Fl
Rumor has it that Federal is coming out with a new lightbar that is supposed to do the exact same thing as the valor, with the exception of the shape. Supposed to be shaped like a regular lightbar, thank goodness. hehe.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.