New FHP Cruisers now more safe and hideous

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
lol i would have cropped it down significantly....

I got a picture the day after I talked to you about it but it was such crappy quality.

Those cares use to be pretty sexy minus the lightbar.... But..... safety is key so I see why they made the additions

RickLBZ

Sep 9, 2010
Miami, Fl.
I saw one a couple months ago down here, thought it was some kind of road ranger from a distance. After talking to a couple buddies with the state, evidently what you see is version 2. Originally it was planed to be from the taillights down. They went from having very little reflective material to too much IMO. Most down here just use a white and red alternating stripe across the bumper.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Hey, it's "psychologically powerful" and "scientifically visible."

Personally, I like chevrons. How wackerish would it be to put them on my POV?

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
FEVER said:
lol i would have cropped it down significantly....

I got a picture the day after I talked to you about it but it was such crappy quality.

Those cares use to be pretty sexy minus the lightbar.... But..... safety is key so I see why they made the additions

I dont know how to do all that on my phone lol

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
I don't think they are so bad. Looks like they read some NFPA material.

strobecrazy

Apr 27, 2011
GA,ATL
Don't look too bad. Maybe if they would have cut the outside as a diagonal instead of squared off it might look better. Or just used the hi-vis green/lime.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I saw the new chevrons in person yesterday and they are in fact ugly but visible at the same time.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
What the hell kind of ugly ass worthless lightbars are on those things and what the hell is with that stupid decal on the truck lid!? Talk about pure stupidity. Someone needs to go slap some folks around down there and kn+ck some common sense into them about how to properly equip and set up the graphics on a vehicle.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I actually like them! I saw them start to roll out the chargers w/ chevrons in southern FL a few months ago & think they look solid. Yes, I think they could've expanded the chevrons a little bit to make them look a little more incorporated with the vehicle's design (rather than look like 2 square decals added last minute), but they get the job done. On a bright sunny day, you can see that rear bumper from a long ways out!

Also, I wish someone would tell the news that this is not some revolutionary concept to have bright yellow/red chevrons on vehicles & reflective striping on the sides; they weren't incorporated into 1901 just overnight for $hits & giggles, nor have they become more & more prevalent (ultimately an official standard) over the past few yrs without a good reason. I honestly wish that more LE agencies would incorprate chevrons in the true color (not necessarily whatever color matches their scheme); they're there to get ppl's attention, not to look "purdy"

As for their lighting packages, FHP has always had solid warning packages IMO, even though they use Code Junk PSE. My favorite idea was the synced upper & lower rear window TAs, but now they went to one massive TA on the rear deck. Only thing I wish they utilized more was grill lighting & a linear light under the RVM. Also, now that "dual color" modules are made by more manufacturers, I think that they should experiment with that, rather than having half of the modules flash during the day and the other half flash at night. I absolutely agree that blue is brighter @ night and red is brighter in the day, but I would live to see the whole bar flashing...I think they need to get together with whelen and make a duo freedom lightbar...I'm sure they're already overpaying for C3 bars, so a duo freedom prob wouldn't have some "off the reservation" price tag

MtnMan said:
Hey, it's "psychologically powerful" and "scientifically visible."

That made me laugh! I've never heard that as the explanation behind chevrons; my understanding has always been that they are designed to signal motorists to "disperse" to the sides (and the upside chevrons, at least to me, look more like a bull's eye)

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
FHP is broke as a joke you you won't be seeing them buying super expensive lighting anytime soon.

Travelin Man

Jul 9, 2010
Central Virginia
The intention for the lime/red chevrons for fire apparatus was obviously for visibility, but the intention was that each service (law, EMS, DOT, etc) would have their own distinct color pattern. As we can see, lime/red is becoming the standard scheme for most agencies.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
RyanZ71 said:
What the hell kind of ugly ass worthless lightbars are on those things and what the hell is with that stupid decal on the truck lid!? Talk about pure stupidity. Someone needs to go slap some folks around down there and kn+ck some common sense into them about how to properly equip and set up the graphics on a vehicle.

That lightbar is a Code 3 Javelin with Prizm II heads which also comes equipped with a solar sensor which then makes the colors on the bar primarily blue, the FHP has done extensive studies as to what works and what does not work. But what do they know, they only studied it and went with the most effective visual warning equipment...

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
I like it. The tail light on the Dodge is so distinctive at night, it kills any chance at being sneaky, so what's a few more reflective surfaces? As I'm standing on the side of the road at night, I'd like to be as visible as possible, although I'm hoping someone from Colorado will relocate here and straighten this mess out.

cybercop

May 31, 2010
USA, TX/South
I think the problem is:

1. Drivers don't pay attention, they are closet whackers that are just staring at the blinkies

2. The Code 3 Javelin......yuck, well honestly imho, Code 3 in general.

Why doesn't the FHP just call TX DPS and ask for some of their old Whelen Freedoms with quad takedowns since DPS has gone to duo color liberties? I'm sure some arrangements can be made.

Edit: Seriously, that Trooper has been hit 3 times? Either traffic is that bad or he has no clue on how to position himself on a traffic stop.

Jan 4, 2012
Central, Florida
pdk9 said:
Only thing I wish they utilized more was grill lighting & a linear light under the RVM. Also, now that "dual color" modules are made by more manufacturers, I think that they should experiment with that, rather than having half of the modules flash during the day and the other half flash at night. I absolutely agree that blue is brighter @ night and red is brighter in the day, but I would live to see the whole bar flashing...I think they need to get together with whelen and make a duo freedom lightbar...I'm sure they're already overpaying for C3 bars, so a duo freedom prob wouldn't have some "off the reservation" price tag

A lot of TROOPERS in my area have changes there light bar patterns and added there own grill lights them self for more warning power.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
RyanZ71 said:
Talk about pure stupidity. Someone needs to go slap some folks around down there and kn+ck some common sense into them about how to properly equip and set up the graphics on a vehicle.

Before you decide to make unfounded comments about pure stupidity, why don't you read up about FHP first; they do a ton of studies and virtually everything they do with their vehicle specs is due to extensive research...far more than many departments that just slap some lights and decals on a vehicle without any thought

5309 said:
A lot of TROOPERS in my area have changes there light bar patterns and added there own grill lights them self for more warning power.

Really? In southern Florida, they seem to be the only LE vehicles I have seen where there are no additional lights added to the cruisers by their assigned officers. But maybe it's just something down here

I would love to see FHP go to a RETRO light design like Kansas Highway Patrol did for their 75th Anniversary a few years ago. They used the new Michigan State Police WHELEN single LED beacon on the roof with 12 modules on their cars. That same single LED beacon in all blue on the roof would look cool. Florida used the single blue 4 beacon Federal Signal rotating beacon for many years. That new single beacon in blue up top along with all the other current stuff inside would look sharp in my opinion and supposedly those single new LED BEACONS made by WHELEN for MSP are bright!

Actually the new Rotabeam LED would really look awesome and more in line with the old Federal signal 4 beacon rotator.

Volusia County Sheriff's Office (Florida) would look sharp if they did one in their retro style markings from the 80's and the Rotabeam LED in all blue. Now that would look cool. I am not a fan at all of the new markings they adopted. The old markings they used prior to the current layout was a two tone scheme that really stood out as a police vehicle. They should go back to the traditional design.

Reactions: Cdnsgt

mp3sgt

Jan 15, 2013
Laurel Hill, FL
In my region of FHP, at least at night, the back code 3 interior amber bar is in a full on full off pattern during traffic stops. That full on full off amber is very very visible for over a mile and to me is probably the most visible component at night. I will see that amber bar WELL before the blue, red or chevrons.

Lightbarnut

Jun 9, 2010
Palatka, Florida.
You can all say what you want, but there is something to be said for individuality. I looked on policecararchives.org, and no other State Police/Patrol/Highway Patrol uses the Code 3 Javelin. Thats a good thing. It's called individuality. Vectors/Visions, Vistas, Edges, MX7000s, Excaliburs, LFL Liberties, Freedoms, Patriots, etc are past worn out. Everybody has those. Only FHP has the Javelin.

The new Prizm II modules are better than Whelen LFL Liberty or Freedom lightheads for the simple fact that the Code 3 heads have such a deeper true hue of red and blue than Whelen heads do. Our local Sheriffs Office has several cars with the RX2700 bars with the Prizm heads in them, and the rest are LFL Liberties. I can always tell from a long distance which bar is on the car by how much better/truer the color is.

Bottom line is you can follow the pack and buy the same bars everybody else is, or you can cut your own path, be different and stand out.

Reactions: TheCollector

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Lightbarnut said:
You can all say what you want, but there is something to be said for individuality. I looked on policecararchives.org, and no other State Police/Patrol/Highway Patrol uses the Code 3 Javelin. Thats a good thing. It's called individuality. Vectors/Visions, Vistas, Edges, MX7000s, Excaliburs, LFL Liberties, Freedoms, Patriots, etc are past worn out. Everybody has those. Only FHP has the Javelin.

The new Prizm II modules are better than Whelen LFL Liberty or Freedom lightheads for the simple fact that the Code 3 heads have such a deeper true hue of red and blue than Whelen heads do. Our local Sheriffs Office has several cars with the RX2700 bars with the Prizm heads in them, and the rest are LFL Liberties. I can always tell from a long distance which bar is on the car by how much better/truer the color is.

Bottom line is you can follow the pack and buy the same bars everybody else is, or you can cut your own path, be different and stand out.

There's a reason for that :whistle:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Lightbarnut said:

I'm sorry dude, but the vision, liberty, & freedom are definitely not "past worn out." Just because FHP is the only major agency that uses them does not mean they're doing it for individuality purposes...Have you ever considered the idea that other people simply might not want code 3 products? The "past worn out" vision, for example, has progressed from halogen & smart pods, to SL, & to SLR over the past few years. The liberty has also seen multiple upgraded models & so has the freedom. Possessing "individuality" is something u tell your child to do the first day of school; on the other hand, when it comes to lighting, individuality is not necessarily a good thing. If everyone seems to be buying particular brands, then you should consider possible reasons for why Whelen & FedSig possess higher market shares than C3, who hasn't released anything super innovative since the MX7K and sells the same old products or (more recently) copies linear modules of competitors & put them into recycled halogen lightbar frames with a different lense on top. You can tell a fire department to aim for "individuality" and ignore recommendations like 1901, for example, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing. FHP certainly has some good concepts backed by testing (ie red daytime vs blue at night) & continue to use them for a reason, but they could easily switch to anther manufacturer and have superior warning

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
mp3sgt said:
In my region of FHP, at least at night, the back code 3 interior amber bar is in a full on full off pattern during traffic stops. That full on full off amber is very very visible for over a mile and to me is probably the most visible component at night. I will see that amber bar WELL before the blue, red or chevrons.

Yes, the fully-illuminated amber TA does get a lot of attention (especially the 2 tier TA setups) in that slow on/off pattern; I believe it's the default pattern unless a specific TA function (ie left or right) is chosen

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
I'll bypass the "Liberties/Freedoms/Vectors/etc. bars are old and worn out" argument in favor of deferring to this statement about how the vehicles look in terms of aesthetics:

In public safety, "function" always overrules "fashion", regardless of your stance on PR or appearance. If "ugly" is what gets you noticed and keeps your ass from getting ran over on the side of the road, so be it. If it's the exact opposite, great. Whatever keeps you from ending up on the business end of a box (or a hearse) is what counts.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
pdk9 said:
Before you decide to make unfounded comments about pure stupidity, why don't you read up about FHP first; they do a ton of studies and virtually everything they do with their vehicle specs is due to extensive research...far more than many departments that just slap some lights and decals on a vehicle without any thought

That just proves yet another worthless study that wasted taxpayer dollars as is evident with how they have their vehicles set up. Sorry son, that study crap don't fly with me. :rolleyes: No offense of course. Your opinion. Mine.

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
It's been nearly ten years since this FHP study was completed. While its findings still hold true today, the associated technology has grown leaps and bounds. At the time of this study, there were no dual-colored LED modules readily available. In order to accomplish what this study called for, C3 and Whelen used a dual-level bar for the prototypes. C3 used the Javelin and Whelen used the Freedom. FedSig used the Raydian, a single-level bar that ultimately left them dead last in evaluations.

I still find it ironic to this day that the Whelen prototype was beating the C3 prototype in just about all of the evaluations, but the vehicle equipped with the Whelen setup broke down and did not participate in the final evaluations. C3 ended up winning, and they ultimately were awarded the FHP contract. For the first several years, the Javelin was the appropriate bar to fulfill the requirements of this system. Now, the RX 2700 with the dual-colored modules were suffice. Incidentally, the field replacement kit provided to the FHP bascially converts their bar into a Javelin-based RX 2700.

Naturally, if the FHP were to go to a different manufacturer today, my top choices are the Whelen Legacy, FedSig Valor, and the forthcoming FedSig Integrity. In addition, both companies offer an auxiliary system far superior to C3's. While I agree that function trumps form, FHP can have both with high-quality selections from either Whelen or FedSig.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
pdk9 said:

Really? In southern Florida, they seem to be the only LE vehicles I have seen where there are no additional lights added to the cruisers by their assigned officers. But maybe it's just something down here

Yeah you neeed to get out of South Florida more... their cars here are really lit up nicely with supplemental lighting. I know much on the i4-west of orlando to tampa corridor are running feniex have their chinese self purchased crap burned out on them. They also seem to be enjoying the Nforce light modules but those are a tad more expensive so they are not as popular.

mp3sgt said:

It is also the most visible component during the day. They dual TA bars is incredibly effective and changed my mind on the use of amber.

Kevin K. said:
It's been nearly ten years since this FHP study was completed. While its findings still hold true today, the associated technology has grown leaps and bounds. At the time of this study, there were no dual-colored LED modules readily available. In order to accomplish what this study called for, C3 and Whelen used a dual-level bar for the prototypes. C3 used the Javelin and Whelen used the Freedom. FedSig used the Raydian, a single-level bar that ultimately left them dead last in evaluations.

I still find it ironic to this day that the Whelen prototype was beating the C3 prototype in just about all of the evaluations, but the vehicle equipped with the Whelen setup broke down and did not participate in the final evaluations. C3 ended up winning, and they ultimately were awarded the FHP contract. For the first several years, the Javelin was the appropriate bar to fulfill the requirements of this system. Now, the RX 2700 with the dual-colored modules were suffice. Incidentally, the field replacement kit provided to the FHP bascially converts their bar into a Javelin-based RX 2700.

Naturally, if the FHP were to go to a different manufacturer today, my top choices are the Whelen Legacy, FedSig Valor, and the forthcoming FedSig Integrity. In addition, both companies offer an auxiliary system far superior to C3's. While I agree that function trumps form, FHP can have both with high-quality selections from either Whelen or FedSig.

They are testing some new equipment from those manufacturers. Don't expect C3 to be the front runner just because of loyalty. FHP is strapped right now and well...there are much cheaper alternatives on the market that provide much better options. FHP is also testing some products now that have not been released to the market place by certain manufacturers. Should be interesting to see what the next round holds.

The backs of the old cars were sexy. This is hideous but i understand it is effective so I'll bite my tongue

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
They should a went with some single color chevrons. I mean yes you don't want to get read ended in a patrol car. But working the highway is inherently dangerous and does require a bit of stealth. I'm sure if they did a study, they would find painting the cars safety orange or neon yellow/green is more visible. But safety isn't always visibility. Probably would have prevented more wrecks giving some additional training or something with the money wasted on chevrons.

Next thing you know they'll make the troopers wear traffic vests on stops and set up warning cones while running traffic.

Being Florida since 50% of the state is legally blind and should have had their license taken away 30 years prior. Maybe they should make the lettering on the car extra big for them too. And in Braille! I mean how much more safe can you get then that? How many of your departments have Braille!?

Last edited by a moderator:

RickLBZ

Sep 9, 2010
Miami, Fl.
minig0d said:
Being Florida since 50% of the state is legally blind and should have had their license taken away 30 years prior. Maybe they should make the lettering on the car extra big for them too. And in Braille! I mean how much more safe can you get then that? How many of your departments have Braille!?

Now your talking innovation.

FHP is really trying to increase the safety over style, which is the right track. They aren't doing any slicktops because the Charger doesn't have the space to mount a top/rear bar safely.

I see these cars everyday and like already stated, that double tier amber in the back really gets your attention from a good distance.

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
FEVER said:
They are testing some new equipment from those manufacturers. Don't expect C3 to be the front runner just because of loyalty. FHP is strapped right now and well...there are much cheaper alternatives on the market that provide much better options. FHP is also testing some products now that have not been released to the market place by certain manufacturers. Should be interesting to see what the next round holds.

I'm itching for you to say that the FHP is testing Feniex. I don't know why. I just am.

SoundOff Signal has been making quite a mark in the Florida market. I believe D&R Electronics have some products in the FHP fleet. I can see either of them having a chance. Feniex or Axixtech? Not a snowball's chance.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Kevin K. said:
I'm itching for you to say that the FHP is testing Feniex. I don't know why. I just am.

SoundOff Signal has been making quite a mark in the Florida market. I believe D&R Electronics have some products in the FHP fleet. I can see either of them having a chance. Feniex or Axixtech? Not a snowball's chance.

No they arn't and it is because you are looking for a fight.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.