New FHP Cruisers now more safe and hideous

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
Don't feed the troll...

In other opinions, I've seen many FHP cars from miles away. Is it a massive purple blur with some amber? - Sure, but never have I thought...hmm, I wonder if that's a funeral procession pulled over on I95. It works, period. The patterns aren't the best, we all hate the mixed red and blue...but they're still bright and visible from far out. The double amber is seen the best during day and the "purple" at night. Either way it warns traffic. I've seen the new chevrons on all the new Chargers and it adds to officer safety when warning lights aren't in use. We all like that.

Reactions: BLUELIGHT

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Kevin K. said:
I'm itching for you to say that the FHP is testing Feniex. I don't know why. I just am.

SoundOff Signal has been making quite a mark in the Florida market. I believe D&R Electronics have some products in the FHP fleet. I can see either of them having a chance. Feniex or Axixtech? Not a snowball's chance.

I don't think you'll see that happen anytime soon. Although feniex puts out great stuff for the price, most of its products like say the avatar, don't have the power of some of the higher end big 3 equivalents. It's just not their market. I mean if it was they'd be making a double stacked avatar or some linear mixed in etc. again nothing wrong with them for many departments and they are definitely capable products. But it's obvious the fhp isn't worried about expense (within reason). And I think it would take something REALLY innovative for them to even consider it for initial testing. I bet if a feniex rep/dealer brought a demo unit of that new 4200 controller with Bluetooth and all hooked up and showed it to someone really high up it'd probably get tested. I just don't see them considering t6 for grill lights or anything.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Flashguy said:
I've seen the new chevrons on all the new Chargers and it adds to officer safety when warning lights aren't in use. We all like that.

Maybe it's because I don't spend my shifts on the highway, but I never want my car to be extra visible unless the lights are activated. Hell if they made patrol cars that looked like a Toyota Camry and then you flipped the switch and they turned into some marked crown Vic's with a lightbar on top I'd prefer that. I mean sure cruising around town to make the public feel safe has benefits, but I don't see the need to be THAT visible. Of course they've done a ton of research and maybe there is some fact behind it. I just don't see it :) I think the deputy chief superintendent mayor constable scoutmaster general of the fhp's brother in law owns a vinyl shop and wants to "bid" on the contract ;) but maybe that's just my skepticism.

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
That last reply was pretty funny. Well...next time I'm by the FHP lot, I'll take a pic of all the rear-ended crushed cars. They still can and do hide on elevated on ramps, behind walls, under tree branches, in shadows, behind signs, in front of other cars, in ditches, behind bushes...ok, you get my point. But anytime they're on the shoulder, it's dangerous.

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
minig0d said:
I don't think you'll see that happen anytime soon. Although feniex puts out great stuff for the price, most of its products like say the avatar, don't have the power of some of the higher end big 3 equivalents. It's just not their market. I mean if it was they'd be making a double stacked avatar or some linear mixed in etc. again nothing wrong with them for many departments and they are definitely capable products. But it's obvious the fhp isn't worried about expense (within reason). And I think it would take something REALLY innovative for them to even consider it for initial testing. I bet if a feniex rep/dealer brought a demo unit of that new 4200 controller with Bluetooth and all hooked up and showed it to someone really high up it'd probably get tested. I just don't see them considering t6 for grill lights or anything.

If Feniex were legitimately in contention for an updated FHP warning system, I'd eat a barrel full of rotting crow.

I believe it's fiscally sound for the FHP to research and implement a replacement system, as the time is right for such a transition. Unless they're planning to drastically change the layout of the system, the only real customization required is the programming. With respect to technology, everything's in place. Overall, I'd expect it be cheaper to maintain an updated FHP system than to continue the C3-based system.

I'm not a gambling man, but if I were forced to place a bet, I'd say it'll be either Whelen, FedSig or SOS (in that order). If C3 is still in contention, I'd expect they have something new forthcoming, as it doesn't seem that the FHP wants to continue with PriZm II technology. Perhaps they'll do something with the TriCore technology, either in the Defender or a new chassis.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Kevin K. said:
If Feniex were legitimately in contention for an updated FHP warning system, I'd eat a barrel full of rotting crow.

I believe it's fiscally sound for the FHP to research and implement a replacement system, as the time is right for such a transition. Unless they're planning to drastically change the layout of the system, the only real customization required is the programming. With respect to technology, everything's in place. Overall, I'd expect it be cheaper to maintain an updated FHP system than to continue the C3-based system.

I'm not a gambling man, but if I were forced to place a bet, I'd say it'll be either Whelen, FedSig or SOS (in that order). If C3 is still in contention, I'd expect they have something new forthcoming, as it doesn't seem that the FHP wants to continue with PriZm II technology. Perhaps they'll do something with the TriCore technology, either in the Defender or a new chassis.

Again I don't think feniex is even going after that segment of the market. They make very affordable effective lighting but offer no high end stuff. Think whelen m4/m7 or double stacked lightbars or double stacked warning bars. (When I say double stacked I don't necessarily mean literally as in 2 discreet heads stacked. But rather some taller led modules equivalent height of double stacked like the bigger bars out now.) they are looking for high end warning not value warning.

They do all this testing on effectiveness of lighting. Wonder if they have or will do any testing on the effectiveness/public perception of Leo's based on the color scheme / markings of vehicle vehicle. Like would a more aggressive scheme present a more touch impression of the officer an make a perp less likely to try to run. Or more "friendly" color scheme people more wanting to approach a vehicle (kind of like the bdu vs class a uniform arguments).

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Flashguy said:
Not the best picture, but saw the new chevrons on a Tahoe...

View attachment 64616

I know FHP does various studies, but I'm curious exactly how effective such a small strip of chevron is; it certainly got my attention in this pic, but I wonder how they officially arrived at their decision for those dimensions. Personally, I would prefer if a larger portion of the rear had chevrons & had "highway patrol" in large letters somewhere on the rear (to rule out any chance of someone stupidly confusing it with a FD SUV). Yes, some people say chevrons look ugly, but it's hard to beat their effectiveness, and such visibility is especially important on a vehicle that spends most of it's time on highways.

Who knows, maybe their next step will be changing their uniforms from that cream-colored junk to ANSI yellow button down shirts, ANSI yellow pants, & ANSI yellow "campaign" hats with a 3M strip around it lol.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
I know ill start a war here ... but ..... you guys make it sound like they ruined a pretty paint job, the FHP has one of the least desirable schemes out there in my opinion...

as stated before function and safety over beauty, the chevron's aren't that bad but I might have done a slightly larger area.

BLUELIGHT

Jul 7, 2018
Hendersonville NC
Does look like the stripes would have been applied diagonally in the opposite angle to psychologically herd traffic away from the car, rather than towards the center of it.

Smoked

Oct 29, 2017
Pa
They need to swing w deal with Dodge to have state trooper in the center ,we all know it's a Dodge ,and there is precious little real estate on the back of them ,or maybe make Chevron patterned letters across the bumper,I shouldn't say that IT might be "version 3"!

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Blue? If any of our Depts Followed state law they would all be Blue but as we all know there is a difference in visibility between daylight and nighttime viewing of lights.. I thought they were Driving Tahoes now a days..

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
They’ve been driving Tahoes & NGPI utilities for SUVs (unmarked supervisors, K9, etc) and chargers for sedans. They “upgraded” their lighting package about 2 years ago....it’s virtually all blue (so it’s hard to see in daytime), has surface mount LAWs on fenders, fender wraps on the PBs, & they did away with the insanely bright double-stacked TAs.

They also did away with the 2 tone chevrons and went to stealth chevrons, which definitely blend in better with the setup. I didn’t mind the 2 tone chevrons before (safety is my priority), but I just think they should’ve made an attempt to make the decals match the contour of the bumper instead of just looking like the last minute additions that they are. However, I think the stealth chevron suits them better b/c it’s easier to hide while looking for ppl to pull over, & their policy forbids them from blocking roadways (hence you always see them parked only on the shoulders and road ranger or fire blocking blanes)

I personally haven’t heard anything about Whelen or the color change yet.

Last edited:

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Well I Havent been using the interstate or sawgrass or turnpike much so i guess I havent been seeing those changes yet, I will Keep my Eyes Open..!

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Seen mostly blue bars with red in the middle. I'm wondering if they still are running the dual color bars.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Seen mostly blue bars with red in the middle. I'm wondering if they still are running the dual color bars.

It’s been a while since They got rid of the Javelins, which were mostly red during daytime and mostly blue during nighttime (they weren’t dual color, though....they were basically split lightheads with a sensor to detect if it was day/night and flash the top half or bottom half of each lightheads accordingly).

The only red on their current setups are in the rear deck lightstick, which is half blue and half red for warning mode/flashing. I think it’s stupid not to have more red spread across the vehicle, since dual/tri color is available from virtually all the big manufacturers. You legit cannot see FHP cruisers from a distance in the daytime. One would logically think that they would’ve replaced the Javelins with a newer dual color bar (improved optics & frame) that offered the same mostly red daytime & mostly blue nighttime setup, but then again gov purchasing is usually anything but logical, so then they virtually got rid of red on their setups

Last edited:

Jordan C.

Jun 12, 2010
Florida
Just to throw in an update. They are switching from the FPIUs to the Durango Pursuits. Also, they just got a contract with Dana Safety Supply and Federal Signal. Apparently switching to all blue again with Valors on the marked units. I saw 1 unit first-hand when I was out in Panama City working the hurricane detail with them.FB_IMG_1543801075018.jpg

Last edited:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Just to throw in an update. They are switching from the FPIUs to the Durango Pursuits. Also, they just got a contract with Dana Safety Supply and Federal Signal. Apparently switching to all blue again with Valors on the marked units. I saw 1 unit first-hand when I was out in Panama City working the hurricane detail with them.View attachment 215677

Although I’m not a fan of the recent move to all blue, the valors will look great on them. I just wish they’d do a dual color blue/red valor & an Amber spectralux on the rear deck on slow single flash (although it’ll be hard to match the CodeJunk double stacked rear ILB on single flash that automatically went on when the vehicle was in park....that could be seen from a mile away)

Reactions: Jordan C.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.