New Full Dual Color Torrent - Video Online

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
its a really neat thing but i cant figure out really why someone would need this... switching colors on a WHOLE bar from say all blue to amber?

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
Well, if I was a firefighter and also ran a lawn care business I could buy one bar and serve both my needs.

red and blue lights often draw attention, where as amber tends to mean caution.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
ryan said:
Well, if I was a firefighter and also ran a lawn care business I could buy one bar and serve both my needs.

red and blue lights often draw attention, where as amber tends to mean caution.

yea ryan i can see in some cases (idk why you would need a full size LED for lawn care) but i just didnt think it would be an high enough overall demand that someone would actually do it. Im by no means knocking the bar the i think its awesome how things have come around just i guess i am curious as to what you would use it for (something that would sell alot of bars)

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
SireLite said:
Also useful if going out of state. You can set it to all amber and your safe to go. If you get pulled by the cops you have an amber lightbar.

but i mean that really makes no sense... if you get pulled over by a cop your going to turn your "amber" lightbar on?

Again im not knocking the bar nor anything someone says it can be used for, just wondering..

JHEATHJR

May 24, 2010
Buckeye, AZ
I think it is a Great Idea for those of us in the Construction Industry AND Serve on a Volunteer Fire Department.

Amber for the job site (Highway, Street, Etc) Red/White (Etc) for Calls.

I think it be a great idea for placement on Water Trucks in Small Towns/City's with a small Fire Department. :idea: :!:

Amber for normal street and road work, Red (Etc) for Fire Assistance call's where the need for more water is called for or needed.

It will also work for the South Dakota Highway Patrol as they use 1 or 2 Amber flashing to the front when stopped. Now they can have Full Red/Blue and not lose 1 or 2 Light heads for the Amber, and have Full Red/Blue to the rear With a Full Amber Traffic Director.

( :lol: yes I have seen the Whelen and Federal Signal ones to, just one more to add to the dual purpose list :lol: )

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
JHEATHJR said:
I think it is a Great Idea for those of us in the Construction Industry AND Serve on a Volunteer Fire Department.
Amber for the job site (Highway, Street, Etc) Red/White (Etc) for Calls.

( :lol: yes I have seen the Whelen and Federal Signal ones to, just one more to add to the dual purpose list :lol: )

yea that would be a good use... my point is are they really going to sell that many i guess, like will the demand be that high for them. Again cool bar..

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
I believe all Pd's should have this, because you could run red/blue to code and during traffic stops could run amber to reduce the likely hood of getting your ass ran over!

Alovebaby41

May 23, 2010
Texas
Fast LT1 said:
I believe all Pd's should have this, because you could run red/blue to code and during traffic stops could run amber to reduce the likely hood of getting your ass ran over!
On traffic stops you still want to have the red/blue. people are going to pay more attention to red/blue as appose to just amber. Now on the back i can under stand but the pd should just buy the lightbar with amber in the back to begin with but the front should always stay red/blue. And also why would you want to change the front to amber what purpose would that serve.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
I don't want people to pay attention when im on a traffic stop, i want them to move over and not run me over. More people tend to slow down, look, and wonder what your doing when your running a red and blue liberty vs. hazards and an arrowstick. Im a big fan of just hazards and an arrowstick because its simple and people figure its a city worker and move over, instead of try to see what the cops are doing to some poor schmuck.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
fireman616wfd said:
yea ryan i can see in some cases (idk why you would need a full size LED for lawn care) but i just didnt think it would be an high enough overall demand that someone would actually do it. Im by no means knocking the bar the i think its awesome how things have come around just i guess i am curious as to what you would use it for (something that would sell alot of bars)

a lot of FF's (paid and vollie) have other jobs, and a lot of my buddies do stuff like plowing and i wouldn't mind having a full amber bar when plowing in a snow storm (esp backing in and out of driveways)

fireman616wfd said:
but i mean that really makes no sense... if you get pulled over by a cop your going to turn your "amber" lightbar on?

+1. it sounds like you'll get a LOT of poser and wannabe LEOs buying them (such as a certain member that was often ridiculed on the old board for his claims he is an 18 Y.O. professional installer that drove his previously-unmarked black CVPIs with pushbars around just for demo-ing his STL installs)

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
^ That was also my first concern when i saw these. I told my friend idiots are just guna buy these and when they get pulled over they'll just turn the amber on and when the cop drives away he'll just set it back to red and blue.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
A dual red blue would be great for florida. They run those dual level javlins that are blue at night and red in the day.

C3Kurt

May 27, 2010
St. Louis, MO
JohnMarcson said:
A dual red blue would be great for florida. They run those dual level javlins that are blue at night and red in the day.

The jury is still out in my opinion on dual-color technology. It is novel and has some uses (see FL comment from John), but with the economy in the gutter it seems to be a feature most can do without. No doubt, though on the "neat" factor when it comes to the current stable of dual color manufacturers. When the economy turns around and our industry/public sector catches up a year or two later, maybe then the multi-color bars will fly off the shelves and you can be assured Code 3 will be on board.

I'm sorry to disappoint all you volunteer/lawn care guys out there who want an amber/blue lightbar or budding volunteer who wants a red/blue for when they become Chief (and we do appreciate your business), but the big 3 and others aren't building dual color technology/lightbars to hit your demographic. If a certain out of this world technology comes out (i.e. the new FS multi-color bar) it is usually built with a particular state/city contract (PA and NY come to mind) or OEM in mind. I'm trying to come up with one volunteer firefighter that has a Defender on their POV...........correct me if I'm wrong guys and send me a picture.

Just my two cents, and don't take it the wrong way guys I don't mean to offend the volunteer market out there. In fact, we have been coming out with several products lately to hit that market segment (Frontier, LSS222, Visor Flip Light to name a few).

Just like everyone else we need all the business we can get, but I have to chuckle when I hear someone imagining the day when they can run amber while they cut Mrs. Cleaver's yard and blue at night when they are responding to a fire at O'Leary's dairy.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
I have a use for a dual color lightbar, though this won't be it. My heart's set on a FedSig Vision SLR. The moveable white light option is a must have for me.

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
C3Kurt said:
The jury is still out in my opinion on dual-color technology. It is novel and has some uses (see FL comment from John), but with the economy in the gutter it seems to be a feature most can do without. No doubt, though on the "neat" factor when it comes to the current stable of dual color manufacturers. When the economy turns around and our industry/public sector catches up a year or two later, maybe then the multi-color bars will fly off the shelves and you can be assured Code 3 will be on board.
Although Code 3 does not offer dual-color modules, they WERE the first to introduce a lighting system that offered a more systematic control of displaying red and blue signals. Unfortunately, C3 used the Javelin in the unique PS3 System. Why? Only God knows, but that lightbar was sent back to England with its tail between its legs. I'm sure C3 will be back on board when they introduce their version of the dual-color Torrent.

I'm sorry to disappoint all you volunteer/lawn care guys out there who want an amber/blue lightbar or budding volunteer who wants a red/blue for when they become Chief (and we do appreciate your business), but the big 3 and others aren't building dual color technology/lightbars to hit your demographic. If a certain out of this world technology comes out (i.e. the new FS multi-color bar) it is usually built with a particular state/city contract (PA and NY come to mind) or OEM in mind. I'm trying to come up with one volunteer firefighter that has a Defender on their POV...........correct me if I'm wrong guys and send me a picture.
Thank you for that enlightening marketing info. I really can't imagine any lighting manufacturer producing any particular product exclusively for the volunteer sector, as it's just not cost effective. I daresay that the majority of the products were introduced to satisfy a set of requirements set forth by a large (statewide) contract, such as the CHP, PSP and others. The volunteer sector and other smaller segments benefit from these developments, as these products are usually offered to them as well. I do agree with your opinion about finding a Defender on a POV, as it's rather difficult for a volunteer to realistically pay for a highly-overpriced lightbar for that use. Even the RX 2700 is too expensive. Doing cost comparisions, Federal Signal, SoundOff Signal and Whelen aren't nearly as expensive as C3's products.

I'd like to know why C3 gave up the FHP statewide contract, when the PS3 System was taken out of production. Your company just gave up that market to a competitor, and it appears that Federal Signal is fixing to take that one back with the introduction of the Vision SLR. Of course, you'll need something more appealling than the Javelin to ensure better success with the PS3.

Just my two cents, and don't take it the wrong way guys I don't mean to offend the volunteer market out there. In fact, we have been coming out with several products lately to hit that market segment (Frontier, LSS222, Visor Flip Light to name a few).

Just like everyone else we need all the business we can get, but I have to chuckle when I hear someone imagining the day when they can run amber while they cut Mrs. Cleaver's yard and blue at night when they are responding to a fire at O'Leary's dairy.
We'll thank Axixtech for the Falcon, I mean, the Frontier. Although I'm not one of them, I know many volunteers who have a small business where they use amber signals in addtion to their red or blue signals for FD use. The dual-color technology is perfect for them! In fact, I've had several locals inquire about the availability of this technology and its related cost.

The market is out there. While it's up to each company to build a business case for this purpose, I really don't think your message will have the right effect in encouraging the volunteers to shop C3. Personally speaking, your message had just the opposite effect.

ResponderPSE

May 28, 2010
Saint Louis
fireman616wfd said:
Again im not knocking the bar nor anything someone says it can be used for, just wondering..

Actually, there are several great applications for this technology. The reason I worked with Brooking and Juluen to develop the full dual color led lightbar is for the towing market here in St. Louis. Most of the towing companies here are contracted by the local munies to clear accidents. So they respond with red and blue, and with sirens. But once they are hooked up, they have to turn off their red and blue lights. So now all they have is maybe alternating flashers and some surface mount lights in amber. In addition, the towing companies that work across the river in Illinois can only use amber in that state. So now, with one lightbar, the tow truck drivers can "have their cake and eat it too".

Another reason, which has already been mentioned, is for volunteer use. I've sold several bars to volunteers in the northeast that want a lightbar they can use for snow plowing and then be able to run code to fire calls.

Now, the biggest reason, which I do not yet want to let the cat out of the bag, will be revealed in the next few weeks. We are working with a large PD here in the St. Louis area that came to us with a need for which this lightbar is a perfect fit. Once we have all of our ducks in row, we'll make the announcement and release a new video promotion for this application. So while this may not be a perfect fit everywhere, or for everyone, there is definitely a need for this technology.

Michael - Responder PSE

ResponderPSE

May 28, 2010
Saint Louis
Alovebaby41 said:
On traffic stops you still want to have the red/blue. people are going to pay more attention to red/blue as appose to just amber. Now on the back i can under stand but the pd should just buy the lightbar with amber in the back to begin with but the front should always stay red/blue. And also why would you want to change the front to amber what purpose would that serve.

Actually, numerous studies have shown that amber lights are much less likely to draw in the drunk driver. So there is a very good argument to be made for switching to amber once a traffic stop has been effected.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.