New guy on the block

fireman4991

Nov 8, 2011
USA Fort Worth, TX
Hello everyon, my name is Josh. Born and raised in Iowa. Bought my first Whelen Dual Dashmiser at 14. Became a police explorer at age 14, Joined the army national guard at 17 with mommy's signature, then upon returning from good ole Fort Knox became a volunteer firefighter and correctional officer at 18. After a couple years I got out of corrections. Didn't like being coupe'd up. Much rather work the streets. Became an "Auxiliary" Officer for a small town. Couple more years and I moved down to Texas and almost immediately became a paid on-call firefighter for a Fort Worth suburb. Sustained a pretty decent back injury here a few months ago so now its slow goin till we fix that. I've done smaller installs since I was 18 for guys on the department or other guys from surrounding agencies. Nothing to major though.

In relation to my injury, I am now looking to get into distributing and installing much more seriously being as my chosen career path is not an option at the moment. So if anybody in the greater DFW area could offer assistance or advice getting me started I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd like to find somebody to watch and learn from as far as more detailed installs go. Don't give me to much flak, but I started selling STL after meeting someone who did the same when I first moved here. Needless to say I've stopped that as I do not care for there product very much. In the process of getting rid of my last few dash and grill lights from them. Gonna stick with Whelen, Code 3, and SoundOff.

Any questions, just feel free to ask. Nice to be a member of this site. I've spent the last couple nights exploring the site and like it very much. Filled with a lot of upstanding people. I did get caught up on the outstanding deals resolution thread for a while and some of those stories were just to insane to have made up, lol. One in particular really caught my attention involving a certain member of the navy, and I just habe to say I feel incredibly bad for all those who were burned. It only takes one person to ruin a persons trust.

Welcome! I hope you heal up in no time. Stay here long enough and you will hear some pretty interesting stories, that's for sure! :thumbsup:

On behalf of the site's administration, welcome aboard, Josh!

You'll find a lot of awesome interaction, here. A great place to find excellent deals on equipment, good conversation, superb advice as well as guidance, and comradery. Our largest asset is probably the wealth of knowledge provided by our members. We range from hobbyists and enthusiests, to tow/fire/rescue/ems/police emergency personnel, to corporate employees and administrators of industry leading manufacturers! There are a few bad apples, as you'll find in most every place, but we do a pretty good job of weeding them out. And if someone's brash enough to cheat our members, there's a large pool of constructive individuals here that are always willing to assist and rectify situations (as you read in the thread you had mentioned).

Enjoy your time here and again, welcome! :thumbsup:

-Dave

Thank-you for that awesome welcome Dave. I am looking very much forward to learning as much as I can from here and finally being able to talk to people with not only the same interests, but a tremendous amount of knowledge as well. As far as the thread I was referring to, that just showed me how much of an almost family atmosphere it is here. More people offered up advice, understanding, and questions of concern than I can count. It wast until every other possible option had been completely and totally exhausted that more serious actions were taken. I can honestly say I have never seen that kind of brotherhood on an internet community. I have also posted questions already that were answered almost immediately. I would not hesitate to refer anyone to elb.

Welcome to the site, there is allot of knowledge here when it comes to emergency equipment.

You asked about DFW for install work, well it is pretty much dominated by John Wright Associates (JWA) who have managed to put some comparators out of business due to their high volume and install facilities. We also have two large dealerships that have their own install shops for turn key vehicles of Dodge, Chevy and Ford. To be honest, you would be better off working for an existing installer then trying to start your own business here in DFW as there are already many well established installers noted below.

www.johnwrightassoc.com (Texas AMSR for Whelen)

Defender Supply (Chevy & Ford dealership owned offering their own turn key vehicles)

PROFESSIONAL SAFETY SYSTEMS (Whelen install shop)

Government Sales Department - Dallas Dodge (Dodge dealer with their own install shop)

Teletouch Communications, Inc.

Smaller shops, but only know of one off hand.

Wistol Supply Dallas -- UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alsites