new ideas

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
this is a must on my list now.. 28 blub xl 72 inch thats 8 rotators with tripple beams and 4 forward facing stingers. amp math anyone??? thats plus 12 motors and 28 par 36 bulbs. I'm pretty sure i can hook up to the sub station down the block...20160711_194947.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: denko3 and Tony P

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Well, if you want to use 35w 7400 bulbs:

28 bulbs X 35W each = 980 watts

980 watts / 12 volts = approx 82 amps

82 amps plus 12 amps (1 for each motor) = approx 94 amps
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But, if you choose to use 30W 4416 bulbs, then

28 X 30W each = 840 watts

840 watts / 12 volts = 70 amps

70 amps plus the 12 motors at 1 amp each = 82 amps

Either way, that's gonna need a dang RV battery to run it or a really expensive power supply to fire it up, IF it even does....:confused:

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
20160712_082843.jpg lets push it to 100 watt bulbs.. gotta go big here.. just built a power supply that will push 200 amps all day long. i know i have a fuse for the power supply...

Last edited:
Reactions: CrownVic97

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
now i will be on the hunt for the offset sd rotators i belive I'll need 6 of those and a few bulb retainers..

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
MORE POWER!

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
i got all the steps. stop drop and protect the shop. danger is my middle name. on a side note i want an electric chair throw switch to control it and only run it in lightning storms.

Last edited:

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
dam close set up as the one i have, unit had one 72 inch xl, two mini xls on cab sides and two more minis on the tail board. All clear domes with colored par bulbs. and the 72 aero in my pic was set the same way but using all aeros instead of xl's

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
ok so I put a few hooks in the water looking for xl/sd parts for this build and along comes this bar. two box of joe and some donuts later and she's headed home.( stay in good standings with your local up fitters) cant believe it but its just to clean to strip, plus i dont have any tripple threat xl bars and the two chome covers are super clean. wiring is different to= L1 all rotate only outer pods light L2 outer with stinger L3 full on. must be newer type domes no rivits just a plastic gray strip, nice and easy to split colors.. 20160713_210038.jpg

Last edited:

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
ok so I put a few hooks in the water looking for xl/sd parts for this build and along comes this bar. two box of joe and some donuts later and she's headed home.( stay in good standings with your local up fitters) cant believe it but its just to clean to strip, plus i dont have any tripple threat xl bars and the two chome covers are super clean. wiring is different to= L1 all rotate only outer pods light L2 outer with stinger L3 full on. must be newer type domes no rivits just a plastic gray strip, nice and easy to split colors..
That's a very different color combination . . . any idea what it would have been used for? One thing about these Triple Threat bars is that they tend to have been ordered with a bunch of interesting combinations that trigger different lights at different times for different settings.

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
all the guy said was it was from an led change over from some kind of airport support unit. domes are very clean looks to be no weather related damage. now to make wall space for this monster i swear that is heavier then the 4 alarm i already have and theres no speakers inside

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
You've got a good thing going when your local upfitters call ya first to get rid of the old stiff they pull off of their projects. Very nice grab ;-)

Do I have to invoke Article XVII again!?!? Video, man! We must have video!!

Article XVII, Section 43, Subsection 2a, Paragraph 1 of the Uniform Code of Conduct regulating posts to this forum CLEARLY STATES: "Any photograph of any warning device posted to this forum, unless for the express purposes of depicting repair or modification processes, MUST INCLUDE A VIDEO of said warning device."

:)

Reactions: JazzDad and toon80

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
just as i thought... wringing mess, has to be a bad ground as the cables are heating up quick. and a lazy belt giving a studder to outer officer side rotators. doing my best to get a decent video.

Last edited:

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
good eye drb, they are amber for sure i had to pull dome to check. im thinking for fog maybe seeing how the guy said airport unit ????

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
that worked out nice.. i swapped one blue for a red dome on the bar. then split that blue dome in two halfs, that made one red/blue mini 9000 and one red/blue mini 5000. i love it when a plan comes together..

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
That's a very different color combination . . . any idea what it would have been used for? ...

Current colours for warning devices on TxDOT vehicles is blue & amber.

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
o yea she's beautiful loves the dual speakers built in like that. hope to see it in person one day..

Reactions: drb

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
will do.. and I'll keep'em coming, ok this bar got me thinking again. I pulled the amber dome to find amber fog bulbs maked ge on the front but stamped wagner on the back?? just thought that was weird. swapping them for clear and using the fogs under clear on a r/c sd bar that needs bulbs anyway. video to follow, just pulled life guard duty by the boss.20160716_095315.jpg 20160716_095556.jpg

Last edited:

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
ok heres a video of the tripple running rite. the ground lead was holding on by a string well 9 to be exact only 9 strands of copper were connected. and a video of the sd that the fog bulbs were put it. still not in love with it but i have a nice amber sd dome to try aswell.

Reactions: Maxim2Eng

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
so this bar throws yet another curve ball. in each far outer pod has one bulb with three prongs like a headlight bulb and wiring like i have never seen. truth be told i never worked on or saw a select alert set up, so maybe?? one wire in the harness powers those pods but just steady on no rotate. 20160716_191047.jpg 20160716_191104.jpg

Last edited:

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
i mite get it if you broke off the contact strips and McGuiver'd that set up, but both sides.. and using that 3 prong bulb which throws a flood type spread vs the opposite bulb. starting to think amber fog to the front and one flood type on each end showing in amber, thinking maybe airport requirement??? are there any tell tail signs of a select alert? there are little contacts facing rear with bare copper leads coming from a terminal strip.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.