New Install : Chevrolet chassis/Rescue Truck

nwiamedic

May 21, 2010
Woodbury County, Iowa
Chevy Commercial Chassis

Rescue body by Alum-Line

We installed all emergency equipment... Warning lights, sirens, console, radio, air horns, S/T/T lights, compartment lights, etc. We also did the shoreline, battery charger, and start power to a power unit to be mounted in the rescue body.

All of the compartment lights are triggered by the roll-up doors. Roof and ground lights are relayed to activate per customer request.

- Whelen Liberty w/LED takedown

- 900 Series SuperLED

- 700 Series SuperLED

- 900 Series Halogen Scene

- 0S Series (compartment lights)

- StripLite (ground lights)

- Whelen siren

- Brooking Industries switch panel w/Carling style switches

- Havis console

- Kenwood radio.

[Broken External Image]:http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...96736978_105740639464891_306689_5594125_n.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...130070308_105740639464891_306690_412069_n.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...36736974_105740639464891_306691_1304643_n.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...00070321_105740639464891_306686_8373375_n.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...36736984_105740639464891_306687_4856380_n.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...70070314_105740639464891_306688_2445748_n.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...93403605_105740639464891_306693_6040151_n.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...553403599_105740639464891_306695_382008_n.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...70070274_105740639464891_306692_3874401_n.jpg

cory y

May 21, 2010
Looks good...

Just one lil beef.... I've never understood why people use low profile lightbars on big obvious vehicles... a freedom would be perfect for those applications.

Don't get me wrong it looks great, I love non red fire/rescue vehicles

nwiamedic

May 21, 2010
Woodbury County, Iowa
cory y said:
Looks good...

Just one lil beef.... I've never understood why people use low profile lightbars on big obvious vehicles... a freedom would be perfect for those applications.

Don't get me wrong it looks great, I love non red fire/rescue vehicles

Cost was the kicker here Cory. But the lighting output of that bar is BY FAR more than enough to move traffic. It sets just perfect up there to do its job well.

cory y

May 21, 2010
Ah. I see... I understand what you mean... I mean who here on elb dosent have a thing that irks them?

cory y

May 21, 2010
Lol at least you didn't try and get away with any tir3 sized lights. Its a big truck, it deserves big lights

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Good looking truck. Are those dual LED TD's on the bar?

Oh, and as for my gripe, seems like the siren would be under the driver's elbow.

nwiamedic

May 21, 2010
Woodbury County, Iowa
pdk9 said:
very nice install! about how long it take u guys to upfit this truck?
the only thing i'm not a huge fan of are the varying size blank faceplates to the rear of the center console (how the ones on the left side are diff. sizes from those on the right)

Yes, those are DUAL LED takedowns in the lightbar... pretty much washes out the interior modules, lol. But they are on a park-kill for when the truck is stationary.

There is PLENTY of room for the driver to maneuver, etc. without hitting any of the switches and whatnot.

The faceplates were included from Havis, and just filled the space for now... Some replacements (cupholders, cubby holes, etc) may be ordered, so the space was just filled until further could be decided.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
It looks really nice. It's a very clean and functional install. I like the color of the unit too...

900 series super LEDs set to plit flash are not favorite, you lose the advantage of the size of the head....

..really a great looking rig.

May 22, 2010
Central WV
Looks good.

I agree the Liberty bar looks odd on that truck, but money always the limiting factor lol.

Are they going to add and lettering or graphics to the area on the upper sides of the truck. What about the rear?

Also, why no TA to the rear? That would have just made the rear complete. I'm guessing money was a factor there.

It took me a few minutes to decide that the 900 Series scene lights to the rear weren't crooked. :p The glare and shadows on the lights were throwing me off.

nwiamedic

May 21, 2010
Woodbury County, Iowa
aberfitchguy2472 said:
Looks good.

I agree the Liberty bar looks odd on that truck, but money always the limiting factor lol.

Are they going to add and lettering or graphics to the area on the upper sides of the truck. What about the rear?

Also, why no TA to the rear? That would have just made the rear complete. I'm guessing money was a factor there.

It took me a few minutes to decide that the 900 Series scene lights to the rear weren't crooked. :p The glare and shadows on the lights were throwing me off.

Lettering will be added to the sides of the body above the doors, and I believe something will be on the rear door. The rear TA was nixed due to cost as you mentioned.

And yeah, I saw that in the picture too, lol.

John, the split pattern on the 900 series was chosen due to its eye catching nature. They will get the job done for sure.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
nwiamedic said:
Lettering will be added to the sides of the body above the doors, and I believe something will be on the rear door. The rear TA was nixed due to cost as you mentioned.

And yeah, I saw that in the picture too, lol.

John, the split pattern on the 900 series was chosen due to its eye catching nature. They will get the job done for sure.

I'm gonna have to disagree. The split pattern is not nearly as eye catching as solid. Set one of them to split and the other to solid on the same pattern and back up 100 feet. The split one will look like a twinkle and the solid one will show up clearer. On the rear of a vehicle you need large chunks of light flashing slowly. Splittting up a large head like a 900 is deafeating the purpose of having it.

Split example (un synched which is the worst for split heads)

nwiamedic

May 21, 2010
Woodbury County, Iowa
JohnMarcson said:
I'm gonna have to disagree. The split pattern is not nearly as eye catching as solid. Set one of them to split and the other to solid on the same pattern and back up 100 feet. The split one will look like a twinkle and the solid one will show up clearer. On the rear of a vehicle you need large chunks of light flashing slowly. Splittting up a large head like a 900 is deafeating the purpose of having it.

Customer chose split over solid... they write the check. lol.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
nwiamedic said:
Customer chose split over solid... they write the check. lol.

Right, that's what I figured.... that's a totally different thing than saying it's a good idea.... it's better than pinwheel though.... arrgh

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
In case you where wondering, the very top storage of this truck makes a great place to sleep if you have something to lay on :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, 2 nights I spent up there. . .

MATT3045

May 23, 2010
Akron Ohio area
JohnMarcson said:

I have to agree with John, a large solid flash 900 is much easier to notice. I understand customer get what customer wants. The pinwheel pattern, I could barely tell the light was even on.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Who are those douchebags sitting/laying inside the compartments in the last 2 pictures?

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
pdk9 said:
very nice install! about how long it take u guys to upfit this truck?

Well I can tell you that I spent about 20 hours just mounting all the compartment/roof lights and wiring just the roof/coffin lights. :D

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
nwiamedic said:
The faceplates were included from Havis, and just filled the space for now... Some replacements (cupholders, cubby holes, etc) may be ordered, so the space was just filled until further could be decided.

sounds good. i was thinking that some cubby holes (over the wiring in the console) would be great for binders (any map books, ERG, hazmat & other response guides, etc. that they may carry) and misc equipment (maybe later some portable radios, streamlights, etc.). also glad to hear some lettering is gonna be added on the body (i.e. "_____ Fire & Rescue" and the truck #), cuz it kinda looked a little bare without it

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
nwiamedic said:
I think that chassis got discontinued... if I remember hearing the guys right at this dept.

Didn't they get the very last one available?

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
gm sold it medium duty line to International. thats why the new 3500hd is 13,000GVW i bet with in 5 or so years gm will get back into it

got2lb

Oct 16, 2010
USA, IA
I was wondering if you guys were ever going to get pictures uploaded! lol

Ok I'll answer some of the questions on the truck for everyone.

I'm the head of the truck committee that put this truck together for our fire dept. Also a Lt. on our fire department.

We bought the last Chevy/GMC 5500, Crew cab, diesel, 4x4 chassis available in the US. GM discontinued this line due to some of the government cutbacks.

The console we will be adding a few different sized pockets for binders and various other things, possibly cup holders etc...

The flash pattern of the 900 lights on the side and rear of the truck is what a few of us thought was more eye catching and that's what the chief liked as well so that's what we went with.

The TA on the back of the truck was cut out due to budget and the fact that when we do have accidents and such on any major roadway we usually shut it down and redirect them on gravels around the scene (we have pretty much square mile sections around here).

I would have loved to have a bigger bar on top of that truck. I'm sure Tyler will say that I mentioned it probably 1000 times but when it all comes down to it budget is everything.

We are adding 2 more 700 lights to the grill of the truck but they haven't come in yet.

We are adding FIRE/RESCUE to the top sides of the truck to help break it up a little bit. Just haven't gotten the lettering put on it yet. We've talked about putting something on the rear door like an american flag or maltese cross but not sure if that's going to happen or not.

If anyone has any questions about the truck feel free to ask away. Tyler, Rob, and Ben all did an awesome job on it and put in a TON of hours on it to get it completed. Thanks again for everything guys!

Matt

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
got2lb said:
We are adding FIRE/RESCUE to the top sides of the truck to help break it up a little bit. Just haven't gotten the lettering put on it yet. We've talked about putting something on the rear door like an american flag or maltese cross but not sure if that's going to happen or not.

If anyone has any questions about the truck feel free to ask away. Tyler, Rob, and Ben all did an awesome job on it and put in a TON of hours on it to get it completed. Thanks again for everything guys!

Matt

Thanks for the kind words! Sorry I couldn't be up there more to get it done quicker, my schedule at the PD kinda runs opposite of theirs.

How about a nice big I-29 logo on the back door? :lol:

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
I was very impressed working with the guys at Clarksville Fire. They have a great department with many dedicated members. A lot of this truck was paid for using fundraising money (which they do a ton of) They had 2 different fundraisers in just the time we spent working on the truck. For a town their size I was very impressed with the apparatus, equipment and fire hall, all of that came with their hard work and dedication. This truck is just a fine example of how that all pays of in the end. My only regret on the truck is that its so far away and I wont get the satisfaction of watching it run code to go do its intended purpose, help the citizens they protect.

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
it really is not that bad of a truck,companies get what they can afford and what fits there needs. Ben isnt this the truck you had installed a million compartment lights into

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
TCO said:
it really is not that bad of a truck,companies get what they can afford and what fits there needs. Ben isnt this the truck you had installed a million compartment lights into

10-4 it is.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.