New member sharing my journey.... ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone I am a brand new member here with the new member smell. I set out on a journey some few months ago planning a build for a service police car, unmarked, smooth top etc.

I must say it was not a easy road... Granted I have experience using equipment such as lights and sirens provided by the Sheriffs Office. It was a whole new ordeal to equip a car from scratch. I had to educate myself by reading, browsing online and watching videos of different products in use.

I not only found that there is a lot to learn and grasp but companies customer service was poor... very poor... I will not go into crap slinging at any particular company right now but I have no issue telling it like it is to help the next person who seeks some knowledge and products to purchase.

I will say that Speedtech was my first call. It was a very pleasant conversation, knowledgeable customer service, answered any and all my questions. Also summed things up rather nicely with regards to my setup to be purchased. I knew exactly what did what and why this worked best with that etc.. I was ready after one 30 minute conversation. At the time I didn’t realize how rare this type service was.

I thought on it for a week or so... something was causing me to hesitate but what was it... was the quality concern of STL products? how reliable they are? how bright? how visible in day light and at dark? My gut rarely leads me wrong so I just knew I would figure this out as to why was I hesitant ....

A long story cut shorter is I had contacted 6 companies most of those companies are very familiar names to you guys I am sure. I got jerked around a lot to be honest and I am still not sure why. I tell them all whether it was by phone or emails what I needed, what vehicle it was for, seeking a little advice and where I wanted to be with a $2500 budget.

If you guys really want to know those names that I experienced lousy service or lack of service completely I will share that info. However I did have 3 companies (counting STL) out of 6 that stepped up to the plate. It took a while for me to find them but I did thank god.

What I decided on with a little help from those 2 companies (not counting STL) was all Feniex.

Feniex Fusion Dual Color Interior visor bar for the front
Feniex Fusion Dual Color Interior bar for the back window
Feniex Typhoon Siren System
Feniex slim 100W speaker
Feniex surface mounts and brackets for the front grille - 4 total
Feniex Surface Light Mounts for the side windows & brackets - 4 total
Feniex Fusion Dual color mirror covers - 1 set of 2

The “chosen one” was very helpful, knowledgeable and readily available to answer my questions during the process. My budget was met with funds to spare at $2100 total to my front door. I will hold off on the company name at this stage to be fair so I can see the order through completed when my equipment arrives.

If anyone here wants me to provide updates on my purchase from start to finish, how well the products are and how easy or hard they were to install myself. I will be more than happy to do so.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
I'm not surprised. A single $2500 purchase for one car, and an end-user (A high maintenance one at that), doing the purchasing/install? No offense man, but it's no surprise the budget companies were the only ones who'd talk to you.

I'm not surprised. A single $2500 purchase for one car, and an end-user (A high maintenance one at that), doing the purchasing/install? No offense man, but it's no surprise the budget companies were the only ones who'd talk to you.

Are you serious? First off the 2 Feniex dealers that gave me good service are not "budget companies".

How did you come to the conclusion that a customer who is Law Enforcement needing to outift a unmarked car explaining to a vendor what I had in mind and a little advice or suggestions to make that happen with $2500 cash ready to spend "high maintenance"?

How exactly does the install that has not even happened therefore its in the future have to do with the initial order? Nothing was mentioned or discussed who would install it but I am curious to what this has to do with a $2500 purchase while gaining a new customer exactly?

Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum here and all but I have no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: d119

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
In before the ring...

Welcome to the forum. You seem very thorough. What will the car be used for primarily? Why are you tasked with this instead of whomever has done it in the past? Is that person not available as a resource to you?

Reactions: Jarred J.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
I would say IBTL but we don't L.around here..

You would have ended spending up 7,000 (and maybe.what the car was worth) at STL. :oops:

Reactions: Dave F and Tony P

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
But then I'd stay with tried and true whelen other then upstarts with Chinese garbage with a long history of innovations and quality and find the right dealers( I use 2 myself who like to compete on pricing ). No offense to feniex or STL I bought one item from STL and I'm always seeing feniex stuff being resold by people who weren't satisfied and going another route.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
Congratulations on your purchase.

I do alot of installs for rural departments, that dont have the behemoth budgets of their suburban couterparts, and they are VERY happy with every item you bought. Feniex offers great products, with limited issues, when properly installed.

A similar package from Whelen could have cost $5,000 plus.

What type of vehicle are you outfitting? If you are in need of any assistance or advice for your install, Send me a message.

Reactions: YesanotherLEOhere
Hey guys sorry I been busy in all directions. Honestly after my first post to open up dialogue for discussion. I was met with a harsh response throwing insults in a unwelcome fashion. I do not see the point of that type of nonsense. As stealth2 mentioned I was judging the forum on that comment and was not planning to come back. However, I see now that perhaps that is not the case as more members have responded.

The car is a 2016 Dodge Charger RT that will a unmarked unit. As my luck would have it 2 days after I placed my order I get a call from a former officer friend of mine. He has a Feniex Fusion dual color front visor full bar, a Feniex Storm Pro 200 watt siren, a slim Feniex 100 watt speaker, Feniex 4200 (not the mini), 4 Feniex surface mount strobes that he used in his front park lights and rear tail lights, 3 Feniex led lights (I am not sure the model number) they are roughly 8” - 10” long and he used them in his grille (?), “L” brackets and lots of wiring that puts it all together. He had already sold the rear window Feniex bar as well as the crown Vic. However, he had all those items for sell for $450.

The Feniex dealer that I made my purchases through emails me this past Saturday telling me that I will not believe this but he was able to get my order shipped from Feniex that day!? I was expecting a couple of weeks but sure enough I been getting text updates and 1 box is out for delivery today with another box to follow tomorrow or Wednesday. Literally less than 3 days from when I placed my order.

Great guy, great service and when every thing is received I will be unveiling this masked man! He really has been great to work with and I am already talking to him on a push bar and a few other things.

Long story short I couldn’t get simple service with a smile and now I have the best service ever, too many lights and plenty of equipment. I can not use it all so I am sure I will be putting some items on ebay to sell. Its not a bad spot to be in at all. I do like happy endings

Congratulations on your purchase.

I do alot of installs for rural departments, that dont have the behemoth budgets of their suburban couterparts, and they are VERY happy with every item you bought. Feniex offers great products, with limited issues, when properly installed.

A similar package from Whelen could have cost $5,000 plus.

What type of vehicle are you outfitting? If you are in need of any assistance or advice for your install, Send me a message.

Hey man thanks a lot! If we lived closer I would definitely be reaching out to you. I am not sure just yet if I am going to do the install myself or just hire it done. I have self taught myself over the years in electrical wiring (residential and auto). I do not have a lot of time on my hands so I would prefer to hire it out but I do not have a lot of installers in my area unfortunately. I did get a quote from one company to install 2 interior light bars, a couple grille lights, siren, speaker and a manual spotlight. I just about fell over when they priced me $6500.

I have decided to not do the spotlight. I have the equipment coming for $2100. I will install it myself and save the $4400 before paying the one company $6500... that’s crazy.

I may have questions though!

Reactions: StEaLtH2

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
Hey guys sorry I been busy in all directions. Honestly after my first post to open up dialogue for discussion. I was met with a harsh response throwing insults in a unwelcome fashion. I do not see the point of that type of nonsense. As stealth2 mentioned I was judging the forum on that comment and was not planning to come back. However, I see now that perhaps that is not the case as more members have responded.

The car is a 2016 Dodge Charger RT that will a unmarked unit. As my luck would have it 2 days after I placed my order I get a call from a former officer friend of mine. He has a Feniex Fusion dual color front visor full bar, a Feniex Storm Pro 200 watt siren, a slim Feniex 100 watt speaker, Feniex 4200 (not the mini), 4 Feniex surface mount strobes that he used in his front park lights and rear tail lights, 3 Feniex led lights (I am not sure the model number) they are roughly 8” - 10” long and he used them in his grille (?), “L” brackets and lots of wiring that puts it all together. He had already sold the rear window Feniex bar as well as the crown Vic. However, he had all those items for sell for $450.

The Feniex dealer that I made my purchases through emails me this past Saturday telling me that I will not believe this but he was able to get my order shipped from Feniex that day!? I was expecting a couple of weeks but sure enough I been getting text updates and 1 box is out for delivery today with another box to follow tomorrow or Wednesday. Literally less than 3 days from when I placed my order.

Great guy, great service and when every thing is received I will be unveiling this masked man! He really has been great to work with and I am already talking to him on a push bar and a few other things.

Long story short I couldn’t get simple service with a smile and now I have the best service ever, too many lights and plenty of equipment. I can not use it all so I am sure I will be putting some items on ebay to sell. Its not a bad spot to be in at all. I do like happy endings

Hey man thanks a lot! If we lived closer I would definitely be reaching out to you. I am not sure just yet if I am going to do the install myself or just hire it done. I have self taught myself over the years in electrical wiring (residential and auto). I do not have a lot of time on my hands so I would prefer to hire it out but I do not have a lot of installers in my area unfortunately. I did get a quote from one company to install 2 interior light bars, a couple grille lights, siren, speaker and a manual spotlight. I just about fell over when they priced me $6500.

I have decided to not do the spotlight. I have the equipment coming for $2100. I will install it myself and save the $4400 before paying the one company $6500... that’s crazy.

I may have questions though!

If you can get your hands on the Full 4200, and the storm pro 200, I'd ditch the Typhoon in a heartbeat. the 4200 is a far superior controller.

With quotes like that, it may be worth your while to take a ride to WNY to get it done. I'll send you a PM with my info for a quote.

@YesanotherLEOhere so is this a personally owned vehicle, not department owned? Odd that it is used and an R/T model and that you are upfitting it as the officer using it

It is a elected position in 4 year terms like the Sheriff. There are only 50+ of us in the state. The population per district is what sets how many positions in 1 district. My district for example has 3.

I won a seat this past Election Day. My commission does not get funded by the government big or small. Once sworn in by the Sheriff he then gives me my radio, official I.D. and a couple other things. In simple terms we operate like a independent contractor so a individuals budget determines what equipment he or her will use on the job.

I technically do not work for anyone but myself so I can work 100 hours a week or 2 hours a week. Many strictly work with the city/county courts process serve and law firms to serve a wide range of legal proceeding papers required by the courts and state laws. Some do it all from process serve, warrants, moving violations, assist the area schools, respond to calls with Sheriff Deputies, city police, state police etc.

There is no shortage of work. The warrants division alone is many months behind due to a lack of man power. With process serve brings many different topics such as evictions, criminal warrants, divorce, lawsuits, writ of possessions you name it the list is long.

So other than tax write-offs everything needed to do the job comes from our individual pockets. The objective then begins to re-coup those funds and more going forward. A buddy of mine worked at the Sheriffs Office for several years. He quit his job and now works strictly for a few attorneys. He is no longer law enforcement but the point is he is able to do that while making a decent living. Attorneys are about like churches in my neck of the country. There is one on every corner and 5 in the middle of those 2 corners.

Lets see you show it off when you are done. Pics pics pics. Maybe even a video. No pressure, just like to see how it looks.

Sure thing I will do that.

So you're a volunteer Constable. Got it.

I have never thought or heard of elected officials state or local on a voters ballot a “volunteer“. I suppose if I were working for free then maybe... or If everyone on a voters ballot is a “volunteer“.. then maybe but that’s just not the case.

However I will say that without true volunteer fire department and rescue squads/ems millions of people would be without fire and life saving services. I think many of those volunteers are not appreciated as they should be.

I was raised in a small town and without those volunteers we would have had no fire service or medical service.

What is it that you do?

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Sure thing I will do that.

I have never thought or heard of elected officials state or local on a voters ballot a “volunteer“. I suppose if I were working for free then maybe... or If everyone on a voters ballot is a “volunteer“.. then maybe but that’s just not the case.

However I will say that without true volunteer fire department and rescue squads/ems millions of people would be without fire and life saving services. I think many of those volunteers are not appreciated as they should be.

I was raised in a small town and without those volunteers we would have had no fire service or medical service.

What is it that you do?

Sullivan Co. TN constables have made quite the name for themselves. I'm guessing you're the new guy for district 11 as that appears to be the only one with three constables that had a contested race with a newcomer.

This editorial sums up my thoughts on Tennessee constables quite well: https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/op...cle_5b7b6420-7a19-5047-8321-6b67f0775e35.html

As for me, I've obtained a Bachelor's degree in Law Enforcement, gone through a 16 week academy, passed a psych eval, physical abilities eval, lengthy criminal background check and extensive written exam to obtain my peace officer's license. This in addition to obtaining and maintaining an EMT certification. A little more than the 40hr minimum to play civil process server.

From your choice of username to the way you try to spin yourself into a light of something you are not... You exude whacker and that you are in it for the wrong reasons. My opinion alone, of course.

I'm not trying to be the captain of the assholes, but I take great pride in my 10+ years of service and get irritated easily by those who get in it for the wrong reasons. Very few officers will gloat the way you already have on here alone about being in the business, especially in the current climate of hating law enforcement. Maybe that's the politician in you since it is an elected position... I'm not surprised companies were standoffish with you about upfitting one vehicle for constablery.

Have fun with your install. I'll pray for your success and that you don't hurt yourself or someone else.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
this is not the place for Career vs Volunteer vs Political debate.

The gentleman came to elb for advice on his equipment and install, why dont we just leave it at that?

• Haha
Reactions: tsquale and Nolines

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
I hate to be the one to say it but.... Lest we remember that our law enforcement here in America started out with electing people nominated to be our sheriff or marshall because they stood up for the right thing, person, idea, reason. There's was no Training just here's your badge you already have your own gun and here's your office now here's the town's rules and whatever laws that have been made for you to enforce and whatever you feel that we agree you should enforce.

And for the sake of commentary I have been doing what I do for over 30 years I hold multiple certificates in crime prevention, traffic control, nims, parking enforcement, I am an instructor, I am a business owner and no I never went to college cause there was nothing there for me and I do have multiple family members who are law enforcement and fire fighters so I can say after all this time I'm Not a Law Enforcement Officer But I Do have 40 hrs of state mandated training to do what I do cause that's all they figured we needed, no I don't carry a gun yet but I do carry a Phazzer( better version of a tazer ) and I am trained and formerly an instructor and carried a government clearance for top secret work. And take this how you like Stay Out of my Security business and Stick to Law Enforcement because Your Not Trained to do what I do and I'm not Fully Trained to do what you do and I don't think we can knock him or anyone like him for standing up to do Law Enforcement For the Right Reasons.

And I'm done ranting so let's help the man out with what he needs and advise with all this sites combined experience and brains with all these wonderful members!

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
And then somewhere along the line, the people realized when we authorize so much power in someone, we should require certain things. Things like further education requirements, written testing, physical agility standards, medical screenings, background investigations, hair follicle drug tests, oral board interviews, a 6 month academy, POST testing, 3 months of FTO, 3 months of Probationary U-boat, and everything else that's required of me. None of which OP has had to do. Hence why he, and those like him, are a liability I don't want around.

He screamed whacker from the first paragraph. And low and behold, it became true.

Reactions: SEPD_52 and tsquale

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Yes they do require certain things but they with all this training, really good pay, benefits, retirement still some end up letting power go to their heads, become criminals themselves and an embarrassment to their co-workers, department, the public, and truly make the rest of us look bad no matter how good we do. How many Whackers do you see around here, on the road, everywhere. I worry when someone in my own area wants to put lights on their private vehicle and has no valid reason for them because someone is going to make a law further hurting my ability to do what I do where I do and how I do. Did you know in some states security officers can get additional training to state standards and get certified as reserve law enforcement officers? Back in the day my dad went through the academy with 2 busted knees from a traffic accident to become a reserve police officer but now a day's the academy is half what my father's was with less power.

Reactions: SEPD_52 and tsquale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.