New Michigan State Police Package

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Why did someone tape donut boxes to the vehicle? The duct tape will leave adhesive.

I also thought they were gonna use stupid LED beacons as opposed to stupid rotating beacons. That one looks like a halogen.

TheZach

Jun 5, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
Its an annual parade that as far as I know celebrates nothing and is full of nonsense and humor.

KALAMAZOO — Good-natured law officers drove their cruisers down Lovell Street wearing rubber pig noses.

A three-man band blasted “Got My Mojo Working” from their Blues Fest 2010 float, followed by a pack of pugs decked out as daisies courtesy of the Kalamazoo Pug Meetup Group.

Parents, strollers and lawn chairs packed Lovell, where the parade began, lining the street as far as the eye could see from South Burdick. Crowds shouted their delight, and kids dove for candy in the road — all enjoying the folly that is the annual Do-Dah Parade on “Super Saturday” in downtown Kalamazoo.

“We love the Do-Dah Parade!” said Mr. Cell Phone, also known as Downtown Wireless owner David Jones. Jones, dressed as a Samsung cell phone, and his manager, Kevin Ezell, worked the crowd, doling out purple bead necklaces.

The spunky Razzle Dazzle Divas tossed treats in all of their lavish Red Hat Society flash.

Ghouls from the Kalamazoo Speedway’s mini-spook house on wheels, including an axe-wielding, “blood”-covered zombie clown, dashed down the streets.

art fair frogShawano Cleary / Special to the Kalamazoo GazetteA metal frog sculpture by Anderson's Metal Sculpture, of Cedar Springs, eyes the massive Crowd at Bronson Park at the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts Art Fair.

Lauren Haag, 25, of Portage, is a big fan of the parade. “I’ve been coming since was a little kid,” she said. “For as long as I can remember.”

Haag watched the frivolous fun with her 5-year-old son, Gavion Sheppard.

Here is the cities official description on the web page

It’s the official parody of anything and everything. This is the one time where silly and satire rules the streets of downtown Kalamazoo. Join over 80 businesses, nonprofit organizations, and community individuals as we enjoy the absurd, the goofy, and the downright un-political nature of a parody. It’s the Do-Dah and it’s reined the streets for years. Admissions is free, and $25 to participate.

RMBROWN

May 20, 2010
Brooklyn.MI
I've seen that light first hand down @ priorty 1 and let me tell you that thing is extremely bright.The L.E.D.S are something else I dont know i think my hands are still up in the air about the light I know the price tag on that light is expensive though. :eek: :eek:

ohi007

May 21, 2010
Canton, oh
would like to see some video on the parade, either clips or the parade entirely.

anybody have a link they would care to post?? (not you tube)

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Whelen is making a LED inside for the rotating beacon.

MSP Goes LED: Traditional Patrol Light Receives Modern Upgrade

Under Red "Bubble" Cover (Old): The old MSP beacon used motor-driven technology from the 1950s.

Since the 1950s, Michigan State Police (MSP) patrol cars have been adorned with a unique rotating red light on the roof. As the only state police department in the country to use this design, the single overhead red light is unmistakably identifiable to both Michigan residents and other law enforcement agencies. Many people often inquire about the "bubble" or "gumball" light and usually assume it is used today solely as tradition.

While the department is accustomed to this look, the benefits go beyond tradition. The single overhead light has been proven to enhance acceleration and performance. The nationally recognized Police Vehicle Evaluation, conducted by the MSP Precision Driving Unit, has found that vehicles with a full overhead light bar accelerate slower than vehicles with a single overhead light. Additionally, the reduced forward-facing surface area of the single light provides greater fuel savings when compared to the larger surface area of a light bar.

Just recently, the MSP "bubble" light underwent a makeover to improve its energy efficiency. Working with Whelen Engineering, a Brighton, Mich.-based firm, a prototype using Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) was developed. After nearly four years of research, development and testing, Whelen Engineering and the Precision Driving Unit produced a light kit that fits in the existing overhead light shell.

Under Red "Bubble" Cover (New): The new LED-based MSP beacon provides enhanced performance and has a longer lifespan.

The new LED overhead light produces an intense, wide-angle red light in all directions that only requires three amps to operate. Each kit uses 12 light heads, nine LED bulbs per head, for a total of 108 lights in each car; far more than most standard light bars. The LED bulbs have an 100,000-hours-of-use rating and a five-year warranty from date of service.

To reduce installation costs, current MSP patrol cars will be fitted with the new LED overhead light kits when there is a light failure. Since the LED lights are maintenance free and eliminate the need for heavy-duty wiring and special switches, the MSP estimates this will ultimately result in a cost-savings.

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
RMBROWN said:
I've seen that light first hand down @ priorty 1 and let me tell you that thing is extremely bright.The L.E.D.S are something else I dont know i think my hands are still up in the air about the light I know the price tag on that light is expensive though. :eek: :eek:
You could build that beacon with 12 leds for under $900.00. It is much cheaper than a led light bar. I know it doesn't have the coverage of a full light bar, but it keeps with MSP's tradition...

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
They're only replacing the halogen lights with LED ones when the halogen ones break down in one way or another - the filament burns out or the light quits rotating. Personally I think they should quit transferring the old Unity beacon onto newer vehicles and start using modern halogen beacons, like the Code 3 550 or the Whelen RB6. The FedSig Sentry is extremely bright at 80,000 candlepower, but I think the Whelen and Code 3 competition just look better, and the old-school FedSig Model 14 isn't particularly bright, at 35,000 candlepower.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
The reason they use the single beacon on the roof is partly out of tradition, but they also did tests with roof beacons and fullsize lightbars, and they found that a full-size lightbar reduces acceleration and can reduce top speed by as much as 10 MPH, but a single roof beacon - even a giant chunk of a light like the one they use - is much more aerodynamic. The hood-mounted shark fin is there just for tradition; before flashing lights were used, the cop would pull up alongside the people they wanted to stop and the "stop" sign would light up to tell them to stop.

deputychief301

May 21, 2010
Snow Belt, Michigan
Most of all , lets not forget that someone selling the leds to msp has a friend in the capital with deep pockets that

are being filled with cold cash and the right partys know who I am talking about.

Come on, $1.000 each, I am not really impressed with the led beacon for as much as the tax payers

are paying for them. I have seen many of them in action and the single talons in the back window

really make the new beacons look like shit.

Jim Rogers

Northern Lights/Sirens

Pods are the future :mrgreen:

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
nerdly_dood said:
The reason they use the single beacon on the roof is partly out of tradition, but they also did tests with roof beacons and fullsize lightbars, and they found that a full-size lightbar reduces acceleration and can reduce top speed by as much as 10 MPH, but a single roof beacon - even a giant chunk of a light like the one they use - is much more aerodynamic.

When was this test done? 1980? I can't believe those Unity beacons produce less drag than an Liberty or Blade bar...

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
dustymedic said:
When was this test done? 1980? I can't believe those Unity beacons produce less drag than an Liberty or Blade bar...
Regardless, I'd use a dual-beam halogen beacon over an LED lightbar any day.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I had always thought that they just took the old Unity beacons off older vehicles and put them back on top of new ones, but recently I was looking on the manufacturer's website - they're real big on A-pillar spotlights - and I found that they do still make the rotating halogen beacons. And now they've lost their biggest (only?) customer.

http://www.unityusa.com/Revised%20New%2 ... 20Page.htm

Stendec

May 21, 2010
I can easily believe they produce less drag - they have a continuous curve that provides no bluff, flat surface to catch air, or exposed mounting bracketry. No matter how slim an LED bar is, it still presents a relatively flat frontal surface and when the mounting feet morph into alley lights and take downs, the square inches add up.

I too would be more than happy to run a single beacon, or pair. There are already PAR36 LEDs on the market, with a little more work on optics or reflectors, if the demand was there I'm sure that 2 or 4 fixture beacons could make a resurgence.

The major problem with beacons, at least in LE, hasn't been light output; it's been the inability to successfully integrate alleys and takedowns. The Whelen Vader was the only beacon I've seen that had takedowns built in, and it got mixed reviews. But with the smaller LED lights that can be mounted on grille guards and partitions or side windows, who knows? There have been plenty of high-skirt beacons with TDs and alleys bolted to the base, but then you start adding drag and hardware.

B&W cars were gone for a couple decades, then came back strong, who knows, maybe in 10 years I can have a car with a single FS 184, or a genuine MARS bar with twin Skybolts and cans, the actual chromes metal ones, all using LED technology in traditional housings.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Stendec said:
I can easily believe they produce less drag - they have a continuous curve that provides no bluff, flat surface to catch air, or exposed mounting bracketry. No matter how slim an LED bar is, it still presents a relatively flat frontal surface and when the mounting feet morph into alley lights and take downs, the square inches add up.

And for those who want a more aerodynamic LED lightbar at the cost of a higher-profile light...

http://star1889.com/products/signal-veh ... htbars.asp

I still like rotating beacons a lot more than that, even if it is available with a strobe/LED combo.

tigers2007

May 24, 2010
Midwest
Whats with that plate "AR50"? Must be some special unit as they are usually the post number with car number (i.e. 2502 is Post 25, Car 02),

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
MSP could purchase enough Sound Off Pinnacle Lightbars to get the price well under $1000. Then they would have a product that is COMPLETELY made in Michigan by a company that has been here for decades. Sounds like a good idea to me, since our economy is in shambles.

deputychief301

May 21, 2010
Snow Belt, Michigan
Well I can say that someone in the capital is filling some deep pocket with a bunch of

over rated leds as beacons, like I said the rear talons are way brighter than the leds

in the beacon, someone is really getting rich off of the tax payers and later on down the

road we'll hear of some problems that will develop with these boat anchors.

I have many friends that are state troopers and they really are not impressed with the

get rich scheme leds that they are getting stuck with . At least someone is getting a

pay check for these worthless beacons and will stay employed for a while until the

shit hits the fan. Now the msp cars look like a over rated tow truck with single beacon

I am wondering if there will be a new msp beacon at the whelen table this sept at the

firemens memorial in Roscommon for viewing?????????????? Time will tell

Jim Rogers

Northern Lights/Sirens

Pods are the Future :mrgreen:

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
It would seem like someone could come up with an LED replacement that fits into a sealed beam bulb housing that would just replace the sealed beam and still rotate as normal in their old Unity beacons. It would surely cost a lot less. The new Federal Signal bar and PowerArc products have solid burning LED's that have been motorized.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
How about Whelen's new LED spotlight bulb? Would that give the same pop or would you need a longer dwell than you get from a rotator to get the same effect from an LED?

Dan

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
dmathieu said:
How about Whelen's new LED spotlight bulb? Would that give the same pop or would you need a longer dwell than you get from a rotator to get the same effect from an LED?
Dan
I think the object with rotating LEDs is to focus the light in such a way that it looks about the same as a rotating halogen light. My impression is that currently-available rotating LED lights have a longer dwell time and don't have quite as much of that "pop" that halogen gives, but PowerArc oscillating lights seem to be better. I've only seen one crappy video of the Vision SLR so I wouldn't know very well how effective its "pop" is.

But I would absolutely love to see more rotating LED lights around.

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
Northernlights/siren said:
Well I can say that someone in the capital is filling some deep pocket with a bunch of
over rated leds as beacons, like I said the rear talons are way brighter than the leds

in the beacon, someone is really getting rich off of the tax payers and later on down the

road we'll hear of some problems that will develop with these boat anchors.

I have many friends that are state troopers and they really are not impressed with the

get rich scheme leds that they are getting stuck with . At least someone is getting a

pay check for these worthless beacons and will stay employed for a while until the

shit hits the fan. Now the msp cars look like a over rated tow truck with single beacon

I am wondering if there will be a new msp beacon at the whelen table this sept at the

firemens memorial in Roscommon for viewing?????????????? Time will tell

Jim Rogers

Northern Lights/Sirens

I've seen the LED beacons on MSP cars at night and during the day. They are impressive. Their light burst is WAY brighter than the revolving beams'. But I STILL would like to see a return of the rotators using LED par-36s beams.

deputychief301

May 21, 2010
Snow Belt, Michigan
Well at least someone likes them, wait until they go to the hands free system as its being tested on a few

selected msp cars in Lansing, our taxes will really be going up as the pockets(local) will get deeper and a

local company will really make the dough. At least its staying local.

Jim Rogers

Northern lights/Sirens

Pods are the Future and don't draw moisture :mrgreen:

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
dmathieu said:
It sounds like the troopers may use low power, because the light is so bright. This may be why the Talon is brighter. :?: Note, I've never seen one in person.
Dan

Here's a great daytime vid of the beacons activated in BOTH the traditional rotator and the new LED version on side-by-side cars. Unfortunately the part I'm referring to isn't seen until 7:45 of the video. But check it out. The new LED is DAMN impressive.

-

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
That LED beacon is KILLER! When people say it doesn't appear bright, it must be on low power. Obviously, in this video, it's on high power. There's a video out there of a trooper showing off the light, and he 1st has it on in low. Then he switches to high, and states that when it's in high, people complain that it's too bright. Nice beacon!

Dan

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.