New NYPD Dodge Charger video

John

May 30, 2010
NYC
Uggh. Those Whelen advisor boards kill me. Useless and expensive are words you should use to describe your ex-wife, not your light package.

BigDogg795

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
And what's not seen at the end of the video? The questioning of the videographer by the cop...

Lol, the look on the cop's face was like "WTF are you doing man?"

zacmtz7

May 21, 2010
Atlanta, GA
SLR is completely hidden by the highway riser and messenger board. That's ALOT of $$$ sitting on that roof.

Harbor Patrol

May 22, 2010
NY
message board is a complete waste of our $$, you cant even read what it says when your behind one in the blue color

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
I like the highway riser bars that you never see get used, especially with the FDNY. As with the Messenger, a complete waste of money.

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
emt322636 said:
Why does the PD for the largest urban area in the US even need "highway" risers?

Well it is on one of their highway patrol cars. Ive never been to NY but Im guessing even on their highways they are not used that much.

That car is looking sick though!

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
John said:
Useless and expensive are words you should use to describe your ex-wife, not your light package.

hahahaaa

Matted33

Feb 6, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Oh man that Vision looks nice, now I have to go look for it next time I'm in Midtown.

emt322636 said:
Why does the PD for the largest urban area in the US even need "highway" risers?
The NYPD patrols all the highways in NYC and is one of a few city police departments in the nation that has it's own highway patrol. I have seen them use the bars a few times, but the real advantage of them is the flood lights they have. The message board though is useless.

NC lawdog

Sep 12, 2010
North Carolina
emt322636 said:

It's a New York thing. It's all about tradition. That's what makes NYPD/FDNY what they are.

nypd hwy 4.jpg

nypd diplomat-police-car.jpg

nypd hwy.jpg

nypd hwy 3.jpg

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
philyumpshus said:
I like the highway riser bars that you never see get used, especially with the FDNY. As with the Messenger, a complete waste of money.

I sure am glad I'm not the one building those monsters!

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I have seen them a lot of times with the Highway risers up on the FDR drive. Interesting how they use Whelen TIR6 slimlighters in the front dash and rear windows.

ParkPiggy

May 21, 2010
Northeast Ohio
NC lawdog said:
It's a New York thing. It's all about tradition. That's what makes NYPD/FDNY what they are.

What, an agency stuck on tradition-right or wrong? Its pretty useless, expensive, and looks like shit. Time to move forward like the rest of the country. A whelen liberty with traffic advisor controls is going to be just as effective, at 1/3 the price of that jungle gym on the roof!

May 22, 2010
New York City
VolEms said:
I have seen them a lot of times with the Highway risers up on the FDR drive. Interesting how they use Whelen TIR6 slimlighters in the front dash and rear windows.

a newer tradition !!!!!!!!!!!! way i heard it, was a highway CO bought one personally, and then it started from there...........now the dept just installs them, but they are done at floyd bennet !

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
I'm really liking the Messengers. Notice the addition of two blue flashing modules to the housing; it definitely adds to the rear warning display for these cars. If it works, more power to them!

I'm wondering about these new lightbars that Whelen is planning to build for the NYPD. The only thing I can think is the incorporation of these Messenger units into the platform. Perhaps it'll be a Freedom with the integrated Messenger and a custom "nose" that'll project non-linear warning coverage in order to replace the projection offered by the Vision series. I'm thinking a new-style Piercer using the M Series lightheads.

Who knows?

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
emt322636 said:

Actually the risers do a pretty good job in town too, as I have seen in Brussels, Belgium. When you are 30 cars behind the stationery patrol car, you can't always see its lights until you are literally on its bumper and the guy in front of you has started to smerge into the next lane.

The idea is to switch lanes much ahead of that, and even in NYC traffic a raised bar indicates an "obstacle" to drivers much further down the line of traffic.

In theory, it smoothens the flow by allowing an earlier merge.

NC lawdog

Sep 12, 2010
North Carolina
ParkPiggy said:
What, an agency stuck on tradition-right or wrong? Its pretty useless, expensive, and looks like shit. Time to move forward like the rest of the country. A whelen liberty with traffic advisor controls is going to be just as effective, at 1/3 the price of that jungle gym on the roof!

Coming from someone from Ohio. (just jerkin your chain) The thing about tradition is that when technology catches up it's not always a good thing. I grew up in NY and remember how much of an uproar there was when the FD went away from 3/4 boots.

liberal noob

Jun 14, 2010
Berkley, MA
Kevin K. said:
I'm wondering about these new lightbars that Whelen is planning to build for the NYPD. The only thing I can think is the incorporation of these Messenger units into the platform. Perhaps it'll be a Freedom with the integrated Messenger and a custom "nose" that'll project non-linear warning coverage in order to replace the projection offered by the Vision series. I'm thinking a new-style Piercer using the M Series lightheads.

Who knows?

I do! It will cause Julian A. McDermott to be put on suicide watch.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Thats around 15 grand worth of stuff on the roof of that car

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Hideous. Yeah, that's the word I'm looking for. :hopeless:

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
"Riser" (Multi Level) lightbars create an unmatched warning signal on limited access roadways(freeways/highways/parkways) by elevating the warning lights above the roof lines of vehicles between the emergency vehicle and rearward traffic, giving earlier warning of a hazard ahead.

In my experience, the original McDermott 4 pod (8 bulb) Riser lightbar is superior to the Federal 16 module bar now in use by the NYPD and the Whelen contraption used by others because it provided a simple, synchronized, easy to comprehend warning pattern.

In any event, the NYPD HWY Patrol Officers still activate them religiously, while the few Pct RMPs still equipped with them more frequently do not, which is simply laziness on the part of the officers driving the RMP.

LuckyRedHat

Jun 24, 2019
New Zealand
message board is a complete waste of our $$, you cant even read what it says when your behind one in the blue color
Should have gone with what my country did. For our motorway patrol and highway patrol vehicles, we have Code 3 M5 message displays. Easily readable up to 100m. They are very good and easily programmable.

Attachments

• 1648148403310.jpg
    1648148403310.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 16

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.