New Patrol Tahoe

emcom

Apr 12, 2011
Huntsville, AL
I just got a new 2019 Tahoe. The installer was new and did split flash on many of the light heads. I am going to try it for a bit to see how visible it is/isnt. I am thinking of having 2 takedown lights wig wag on the Brookings Eclipse visor bar for extra punch in mode 3. What you guys think?

Brookings Eclipse Interior blue/white with flood white for take downs.
Brookings St6's in several places.
Feniex Fusion 600 on push bumper, 200s rear side widows, and an 800 in rear window.
Feniex running board lights on each side.
2 Speakers are Feniex Tritons with a SLAS6 Whelen siren.
Not in video: Feniex Hammer set to yelp.

Front and side (sorry for poor video):

Rear:

Siren:

Last edited:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
When I come down in August I need to look at it lol

Reactions: emcom

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I just got a new 2019 Tahoe. The installer was new and did split flash on many of the light heads. I am going to try it for a bit to see how visible it is/isnt. I am thinking of having 2 takedown lights wig wag on the Brookings Eclipse visor bar for extra punch in mode 3. What you guys think?

Brookings Eclipse Interior blue/white with flood white for take downs.
Brookings St6's in several places.
Feniex Fusion 600 on push bumper, 200s rear side widows, and an 800 in rear window.
Feniex running board lights on each side.
2 Speakers are Feniex Tritons with a SLAS6 Whelen siren.
Not in video: Feniex Hammer set to yelp.

I think it’s a good overall setup with lighting in all the right areas. The only thing I would consider adding (although they’re not desperately needed) would be intersectors or mirror beams, but that’s it. The only thing I would change are the flash patterns:
• Solid flash patterns for everything on all sides. For the rear lights, set everything to a slower flash pattern (fast/flickering is blinding IMHO) than the front lights
• Pick a flash pattern for the front and rear fusion sticks (ie outer modules alternating with inner modules). I hate lights set to random/scan

And yes, I would definitely flash the TD’s in mode 3.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
The Split fail actually does ok to the rear because it makes the head look solid slow flash, just cuts intensity. But if you can definitely get it off the split fail and back to a slow alternating.

I'd also like fewer synced groups on the running board lights, so instead of 12 groups of smaller lights, do 4 groups of larger lights if that makes any sense. But that may not be possible on those.

Lastly, and I realize this won't happen, but some amber to the rear would be really beneficial. Maybe talk to your up-fitter directly, they can probably stay the license plate and tow hitch lights for ambers at no cost.

Otherwise not bad!

emcom

Apr 12, 2011
Huntsville, AL
I think it’s a good overall setup with lighting in all the right areas. The only thing I would consider adding (although they’re not desperately needed) would be intersectors or mirror beams, but that’s it. The only thing I would change are the flash patterns:
• Solid flash patterns for everything on all sides. For the rear lights, set everything to a slower flash pattern (fast/flickering is blinding IMHO) than the front lights
• Pick a flash pattern for the front and rear fusion sticks (ie outer modules alternating with inner modules). I hate lights set to random/scan

And yes, I would definitely flash the TD’s in mode 3.

Thanks for the input and advice. The shop we use hates to install mirror beams because it takes too long. They stay backed up. I found out today that they inadvertently corrupted my encryption key in my radio. So I got to go back and get that fixed.

emcom

Apr 12, 2011
Huntsville, AL
The Split fail actually does ok to the rear because it makes the head look solid slow flash, just cuts intensity. But if you can definitely get it off the split fail and back to a slow alternating.

I'd also like fewer synced groups on the running board lights, so instead of 12 groups of smaller lights, do 4 groups of larger lights if that makes any sense. But that may not be possible on those.

Lastly, and I realize this won't happen, but some amber to the rear would be really beneficial. Maybe talk to your up-fitter directly, they can probably stay the license plate and tow hitch lights for ambers at no cost.

Otherwise not bad!
I doubt amber will be added. None of our vehicles have amber on them and they want them mostly the same. As far as the rear patterns, I'm going to have a supervisor observe my truck on our busiest highway that has traffic 70+ on it and see if he has any problems seeing me at a safe reactionary distance. If he does, then I will have my case to get pattern changed on all 5 of our upfits. Thanks for the advice!

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Looks solid. Flash pattern changes have already been discussed. I personally would like to see two additional lightheads in the upper grill. You’ve got a large gap between the visor light and the low Feniex 600... something in between to cover all the levels of lighting would be appropriate. A dash light could suffice on the lower dash as well.

Good luck with the pattern changes!
Seth

Reactions: pdk9

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
+1 on what seth said. I’m a big fan of having 3 levels of warning, and I think it’s especially important here since the grill warning is towards the bottom of the PB

As far as your comment for the supervisor observing from a distance, I can guarantee you that slower flash patterns will be seen from a further distance than a flickering flash pattern.
Until recently, Florida Highway Patrol had one of the best rear setups, where the entire rear TA flashed slowly as soon as the vehicle was placed in park. You could see from super far away &, as bright as it was, it didn’t blind traffic nearby since it wasn’t a seizure flash pattern. Now, You don’t have to go that far as to having the whole lightstick flash at once, but large blocks of light slowly flashing (ie left side alternating with right side, outer alternating with inner modules) are very effective

Thanks for the input and advice. The shop we use hates to install mirror beams because it takes too long. They stay backed up.
It shouldn’t matter what they like to install or not if the customer (your dept) wants it done. The shop can always give its input/advice on an install but they ultimately have to do what the customer puts in the specs and hires them to do

Reactions: C17LVFD

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The lights look good but that high-pitched siren wail from 0:05 to 0:12 in the third video clip sounds hideous.

emcom

Apr 12, 2011
Huntsville, AL
Well, went back to have patterns changed up today and the lights began to cut on and off and fade.The wig wags stopped working in both headlights and were dim. The auxillary battery was at 8 volts! So,now my new ride is at the Chevy dealer to check on the battery and solenoid between the 2 batteries. Radio shop looked over their wiring and found nothing wrong. Supervisor looked too. Just my luck!

emcom

Apr 12, 2011
Huntsville, AL
Chevy put a defective connection on the relay between the 2 batteries and the local dealer supposedly fixed it. I was running lights and siren off of the aux battery which was not getting a charge! The next 2 shifts will tell if that is fixed or not My wig wags have stuck on a simultaneous flash pattern after they re-wired them. I have had other light issues. At this point, I am afraid to ask for a pattern change for fear of something else messing up! I will leave it be unless I have to change! I did get a pattern change button for visor lights and flashing takedowns for mode3.

emcom

Apr 12, 2011
Huntsville, AL
I've already been in 2 pursuits. The Tahoe handled fairly well. The brakes need help though. And it doesn't accelerate as fast as the Charger I did have, but I will be ok. Both pursuits ended on mountains. 1 bailed on me behind a garage ran on foot down the backside of the mountain and got away. The next one, one day later was on a motorcycle and we got him on a dirt road. He was the first guest in the backseat.

Reactions: Jarred J.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
What was the car that was running on that road .. my lil Kia could barely make it up a few years ago and I wasn't running from the cops lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.