New PennDOT plows

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Does anyone know the brand/model of the new amber LED modules now being installed in the top front corners of the dump box on these trucks? They're the brightest amber LED's I've ever seen, brighter than any amber lightbar modules I can remember. I was thinking maybe M7's but they seem brighter. Been resisting the urge to climb up there and look but maybe I will sometime.

Very effective and a good choice. Anyone who used them for primary rear warning would be getting their money's worth.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I have yet to see a PennDOT truck on the road this season (cause the suck in my area) so I couldn't tell ya... lol

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
They're very effective. All the heads flash simultaneously in a nice slow flash pattern that does a good job of saying "Hey! I'm working here!" without being too distracting or looking like an emergency vehicle.

The new trucks are also getting high-vis reflective chevrons on the rear-end that look very nice. The only downside is it's pretty much identical to the NFPA standard chevron... Not a bad thing, but if people are seeing chevrons all the time on the plows, it might de-sensitize them to seeing them on fire trucks. One can HOPE that someone would see either and know "okay, time to slow down and give them plenty of room" but I think we all know that's not the case.

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
RescueWV said:
They're very effective. All the heads flash simultaneously in a nice slow flash pattern that does a good job of saying "Hey! I'm working here!" without being too distracting or looking like an emergency vehicle.

The new trucks are also getting high-vis reflective chevrons on the rear-end that look very nice. The only downside is it's pretty much identical to the NFPA standard chevron... Not a bad thing, but if people are seeing chevrons all the time on the plows, it might de-sensitize them to seeing them on fire trucks. One can HOPE that someone would see either and know "okay, time to slow down and give them plenty of room" but I think we all know that's not the case.

The theory on universal chevrons in Pa is to give people the sense, that there is someone working in the roadway, I will merge to another lane and slow down. It's more of a way to train drivers over time. It will happen eventually but it is going to take time.

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
Did anyone check further down and see the heated lens? Thats cool.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.