New pov. 2014 Silverado

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
Thanks for the link, seriously. We've got a Libby on one of our cars, and I hate that random pattern. May have to play with it. Thanks again!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
I just did a quick search and they make extension cables for your headlights like I got for mine...KIMG0503.JPG

Makes it real easy to install a hlf and you don't harm factory wiring

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Yes I typed in your vehicle to get bulb type... Then used that for extension... I saw some on eBay for like 5 bucks but I don't use eBay...

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
That looks fantastic! If I recall correctly, it was @Keith K. who first shared this previously obscure feature with the community.

Thanks. I have more planned for it just waiting on extra income.

Right now I’m thinking 2 big grill lights like Whelen M7’s. Probably some T3’s on each side u see the door and a couple on the front and rear license plate areas. And something for the rear glass as well. After that I’ll be done.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Thanks. I have more planned for it just waiting on extra income.

Right now I’m thinking 2 big grill lights like Whelen M7’s. Probably some T3’s on each side u see the door and a couple on the front and rear license plate areas. And something for the rear glass as well. After that I’ll be done.
Love the ideas of big Grill lights like the M7’s. I know there’s a different price point than the T3’s, but can I recommend M-power fascias or T ions instead? Like any TIR optic, the T3’s have poor off-axis warning, so I’d really recommend something linear for the exterior mount lights that you plan on adding.
Personally, I think anything in the rear window is not necessary since you have the Libby, so I’d say a pair of cannons in either the brake/turn housings and something by the LP would be sufficient for the rear

Reactions: Mattdecker

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Love the ideas of big Grill lights like the M7’s. I know there’s a different price point than the T3’s, but can I recommend M-power fascias or T ions instead? Like any TIR optic, the T3’s have poor off-axis warning, so I’d really recommend something linear for the exterior mount lights that you plan on adding.
Personally, I think anything in the rear window is not necessary since you have the Libby, so I’d say a pair of cannons in either the brake/turn housings and something by the LP would be sufficient for the rear

I may look into some other lights as wel. I had some T3’s on my Patriot and they didn’t do too bad on an intersection bracket.

I am open to other options though. It’s going to be added a little at a time anyway so I’ll have plenty of time to make a decision.

I may add something other than single lightheads for the running boards. Not sure yet.

I was thinking some kind of single lighthead in the rear window but couldn’t decide on that either.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky

What do you think would be better looking in the grill? M7’s or 2 Oscilasers?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
What do you think would be better looking in the grill? M7’s or 2 Oscilasers?
Hands down the M7’s. Aside from the insane difference in brightness, the oscilasers are bulky and would look awkward mounted on the grill IMO. I think the M7’s have a sexy look that blends in with the Tahoe/Suburban and Silverado grills, plus their brightness is practically unrivaled by any other surface mount

Reactions: Krsdog25

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Hands down the M7’s. Aside from the insane difference in brightness, the oscilasers are bulky and would look awkward mounted on the grill IMO. I think the M7’s have a sexy look that blends in with the Tahoe/Suburban and Silverado grills, plus their brightness is practically unrivaled by any other surface mount

Yeah. I saw how bulky they’d be yesterday. Lol.

Attachments

• FACE5053-E3DB-4D91-997C-DDF5BA0F6C28.jpeg
    FACE5053-E3DB-4D91-997C-DDF5BA0F6C28.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 30

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I may look into some other lights as wel. I had some T3’s on my Patriot and they didn’t do too bad on an intersection bracket.

I am open to other options though. It’s going to be added a little at a time anyway so I’ll have plenty of time to make a decision.

I may add something other than single lightheads for the running boards. Not sure yet.

I was thinking some kind of single lighthead in the rear window but couldn’t decide on that either.

As I mentioned above, I don’t think you need anything in the rear window since you have an unobstructed Liberty for upper rear warning. I wouldn’t go crazy spending a lot of money on the running boards; I consider them secondary warning since they’re so low to the ground (nice addition if you have money to spend, but not necessary for an effective warning package if you have other bases covered).

Aside from the grill lights, I’d focus funds on mid/lower rear warning, a HLF if allowed, & mid-level side warning (ie intersectors under mirrors). Also, it was hard to see in the vid, but it looked like you had the steps in the rear bumper? Some mpowers mounted in there facing sideways would help with rear side warning without having to drill on the bed body

Yeah. I saw how bulky they’d be yesterday. Lol.
Yeah, IF you had a PB, then I’d say to go with powerarcs on pedestal mounts if you really wanted a sweeping effect. The problem with oscilasers (as well as rotabeams and powerarcs), though, is that they’re super bulky & deep, so they’d look funny in this application. However, I think that M7’s will looks great on both sides of the Chevy ribbon (aesthetically and in terms of warning effectiveness)

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
As I mentioned above, I don’t think you need anything in the rear window since you have an unobstructed Liberty for upper rear warning. I wouldn’t go crazy spending a lot of money on the running boards; I consider them secondary warning since they’re so low to the ground (nice addition if you have money to spend, but not necessary for an effective warning package if you have other bases covered).

Aside from the grill lights, I’d focus funds on mid/lower rear warning, a HLF if allowed, & mid-level side warning (ie intersectors under mirrors). Also, it was hard to see in the vid, but it looked like you had the steps in the rear bumper? Some mpowers mounted in there facing sideways would help with rear side warning without having to drill on the bed body

Yeah, IF you had a PB, then I’d say to go with powerarcs on pedestal mounts if you really wanted a sweeping effect. The problem with oscilasers (as well as rotabeams and powerarcs), though, is that they’re super bulky & deep, so they’d look funny in this application. However, I think that M7’s will looks great on both sides of the Chevy ribbon (aesthetically and in terms of warning effectiveness)

Hey. Sorry for the late replies. I’m on my monthly rotation of night shift.

If I did something like running board lights instead of a few individual heads under the doors, it’d be something like these from Advanced Warning Lights.

I am debating on getting a Setina push bumper but I’m not sure just yet.

I’m going to slowly get everything together and add more. I’m gonna take my time and piece it together more. Im trying to make it look very good but not overdone.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I am debating on getting a Setina push bumper but I’m not sure just yet.

I’m going to slowly get everything together and add more. I’m gonna take my time and piece it together more. Im trying to make it look very good but not overdone.

Gotcha. Well, the good thing is that the M7 can easily be adapted to the brush guard if you get a setina later on; the brush guard brackets are basically like an L-bracket for mounting the M7’s to the lower cross member

For the rear, maybe look into the SNM Tailgator?

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Gotcha. Well, the good thing is that the M7 can easily be adapted to the brush guard if you get a setina later on; the brush guard brackets are basically like an L-bracket for mounting the M7’s to the lower cross member

For the rear, maybe look into the SNM Tailgator?

I’ve seen the Tailgator advertised on Facebook. That would help so I didn’t have to do a rear license plate bracket.

I’d do cannons or something like that but I really don’t want to get into the mess of drilling my taillights and stuff.

I’m also trying to figure out what other functions I want hooked up with my Liberty. Right now it’s just sync mode and flashing takedowns and alleys.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I’ve seen the Tailgator advertised on Facebook. That would help so I didn’t have to do a rear license plate bracket.

I’d do cannons or something like that but I really don’t want to get into the mess of drilling my taillights and stuff.

I’m also trying to figure out what other functions I want hooked up with my Liberty. Right now it’s just sync mode and flashing takedowns and alleys.

Stick with the old “KISS” method....Keep it simple stupid! Lol. You don’t need a lot of functionality in the Libby. IMHO, most vehicles with lightbars just need an effective flash pattern and TA function to the rear, not much else.

I totally get not wanting to mess with the STT housings. I think the Libby and something below the tailgate are plenty. I think some more amber to the rear would be beneficial, though, whether it’s converting 2 more Libby inboards to Amber (so that the center 4 rear inboards are all Amber) or just going with an all Amber tailgator.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
I was thinking of doing cruise and low power but I rarely respond to the scene. Most of the time it’s to the station. So I may just do the flash pattern it’s on in the video, takedowns and alleys, and TA functions.

I’ll take a look into the Tailgator. I looked at them the other day but didn’t get to look too much.

I’m also debating on getting a different siren. Probably a Touchmaster Delta. This is what I have now. Ignore the wiring. I hadn’t put loom around it yet.

Attachments

• 86C6A76A-27E9-43C8-BA99-946CBFFE1E55.jpeg
    86C6A76A-27E9-43C8-BA99-946CBFFE1E55.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 22

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I was thinking of doing cruise and low power but I rarely respond to the scene. Most of the time it’s to the station. So I may just do the flash pattern it’s on in the video, takedowns and alleys, and TA functions.

I’ll take a look into the Tailgator. I looked at them the other day but didn’t get to look too much.

I’m also debating on getting a different siren. Probably a Touchmaster Delta. This is what I have now. Ignore the wiring. I hadn’t put loom around it yet.
Lol yes please get a different siren (and switches)!!!! Not a fan of their tones BUT the Feniex typhoon siren/controller is hard to beat value-wise....full function with siren knob and buttons in compact package for $200, and you can get rid of the bulky console (which looks like it could use some TLC lol). If not worried about spending a little extra, then you have a handful of compact Whelen options

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Lol yes please get a different siren (and switches)!!!! Not a fan of their tones BUT the Feniex typhoon siren/controller is hard to beat value-wise....full function with siren knob and buttons in compact package for $200, and you can get rid of the bulky console (which looks like it could use some TLC lol). If not worried about spending a little extra, then you have a handful of compact Whelen options

Yeah. The switchbox needs work. Lol. My plan is to possibly get a different siren with the correct faceplate soon. I’m about to get a 10 switch bank from someone I know. It’s made specifically for my Jotto console. I’m also in the process of getting my mobile radio back from my friend so that’ll go in there as well.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
New update. Reinstalled the PA640 and installed my Astro Spectra for the upcoming swap to P25.

Also hooked up sync mode, takedowns and alleys, low power, and my traffic advisor.

Also cleaned up my console.

Pic and video are in the OP

Attachments

• 599B2DA6-DF8E-4234-84DC-D2708C757F82.jpeg
    599B2DA6-DF8E-4234-84DC-D2708C757F82.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Reactions: Tony P

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Any definite plans on the grill lights (ie M7’s) yet?
I’d also like to see upgrades (whenever possible) to LED TDs and alleys....no shocker, but they really are night & day difference from the halogen, especially when flashing (IMO halogen TDs get drowned out by Libbys but the LED TDs drown out the surrounding inboards)

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Any definite plans on the grill lights (ie M7’s) yet?
I’d also like to see upgrades (whenever possible) to LED TDs and alleys....no shocker, but they really are night & day difference from the halogen, especially when flashing (IMO halogen TDs get drowned out by Libbys but the LED TDs drown out the surrounding inboards)

Not yet. I’m working on picking up a second job for my days off. Once I do I’m going to look into getting some. I thought hard about getting 2 of the new Federal Signal TCLs but I can’t justify it. lol.

I am getting some side warning soon to go underneath the doors. I’m trading some stuff for 4 Unit Signal X3’s. They are Chinese but they are SAE rated and stuff like that. For free I’m not going to complain.

I’ve debated on taking the Liberty off once I get enough warning around it and replacing it with an ILB but I’m not sure just yet. That’s why I haven’t dropped the money on the led takedowns and alleys.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Not yet. I’m working on picking up a second job for my days off. Once I do I’m going to look into getting some. I thought hard about getting 2 of the new Federal Signal TCLs but I can’t justify it. lol.

I am getting some side warning soon to go underneath the doors. I’m trading some stuff for 4 Unit Signal X3’s. They are Chinese but they are SAE rated and stuff like that. For free I’m not going to complain.

I’ve debated on taking the Liberty off once I get enough warning around it and replacing it with an ILB but I’m not sure just yet. That’s why I haven’t dropped the money on the led takedowns and alleys.
Don’t take off the Libby; it looks right at home on a pickup truck!
The TCL looks cool but I’m sure it costs a pretty penny. I think the M series are just as impressive when they’re off (in terms of aesthetics) as they are when they’re on (bright as F@#K)

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Don’t take off the Libby; it looks right at home on a pickup truck!
The TCL looks cool but I’m sure it costs a pretty penny. I think the M series are just as impressive when they’re off (in terms of aesthetics) as they are when they’re on (bright as F@#K)

It’s just a thought right now. Not really sure if I’m actually going to.

And I haven’t seen the cost of the new TCL yet but I’d say it’s out of my range I want to spend.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Swapped the pattern on my Liberty and added some side lighting. Still have to tweak the brackets some. Video will come once it uploads to YouTube.

Attachments

• 86E0E084-A39D-4824-A0EF-FA1E240D4E69.jpeg
    86E0E084-A39D-4824-A0EF-FA1E240D4E69.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 016674C9-2C9C-4BFC-9DA6-0615E757B020.jpeg
    016674C9-2C9C-4BFC-9DA6-0615E757B020.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 8

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
I was all about lightbars until I got a car with an effective interior setup. Now, I swear by the interior bars. However in the used market, the cost advantage isn't there, so in order to match effectiveness, it'll cost you.

The night video shows where your truck is severely lacking in warning, which is low/mid level corner lighting. You definitely need hide aways or something in the lights, and a HLF/TLF. However I realize those all cost money, and those side lights were free.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
I was all about lightbars until I got a car with an effective interior setup. Now, I swear by the interior bars. However in the used market, the cost advantage isn't there, so in order to match effectiveness, it'll cost you.

The night video shows where your truck is severely lacking in warning, which is low/mid level corner lighting. You definitely need hide aways or something in the lights, and a HLF/TLF. However I realize those all cost money, and those side lights were free.

Just now saw your response.

I agree I’m lacking in a few areas. I got these TIR3’s in a trade and that’s where I wanted them to go. In the same trade I got some Code 3 Hide A Blasts in red and I haven’t had time to take them to someone to install them.

I also have some Whelen 700 series that are going in the grill.

My plan is to get rid of the bar when my buddy wants to buy it. I actually have 2 dual Talons I am using on the headliner, I just don’t have them hooked up. I also am waiting on my 911EP td28 to come in the mail for the back window.

I’ve been on the hunt for a visor light to trade the dual talons to but haven’t found any as of right now.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
That's a purtty truck. Just an idea...when you mount the bar, scoot it back about center of the extend cab doors. Otherwise you may not see the arrowstick from a distance.

My 07 had full bar and dash light, great combo to hit anything right in the rear view. Keep any grille lights low and in line with the high beams and you'll part traffic like crazy.

Did you have any issues when you ran your Vector? I’ve got a guy local to me with a Vector for $150. Can’t make up my mind if I’d wanna go slicktop or throw the vector on there.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Loved that vector. Had no issues with it as far as operation. It was a bit heavy so I did notice a slight mpg loss and a bit of wind nose at 70+ mph. No issues with the truck electrical handling it either.

Since you've got an led bar I'd stick with that though. This day and age halogen just doesn't move traffic as well due to auto dimming mirrors, tinted windows, and distracted asshats behind the wheel.

700s in the grill would be perfect....

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Loved that vector. Had no issues with it as far as operation. It was a bit heavy so I did notice a slight mpg loss and a bit of wind nose at 70+ mph. No issues with the truck electrical handling it either.

Since you've got an led bar I'd stick with that though. This day and age halogen just doesn't move traffic as well due to auto dimming mirrors, tinted windows, and distracted asshats behind the wheel.

700s in the grill would be perfect....

True. That’s the main reason for going slicktop is the wind noise. I just can’t find an ILB I like for the truck.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Alright. Should be the last build for this truck.

All work done by James at Code 3 Complete in Lebanon Junction, Ky.

Went back with a lightbar this time.

Installed:

Tomar Scorpion dual color
Fed Sig Viper EXT's
Strobes N More X8's dual color
Whelen UHF2150A
Code 3 LedX
Carson SA411 (100 watt)
Whelen SA315
Fed Sig AS124

The only thing I might add down the road is a dash light, and possibly a second siren.

Video shows all 3 modes. Slide switch 3 is daytime/early evening only, not nighttime since the Scorpion is blinding with takedowns flashing.

Picture will not upload but control head is mounted in the center console.

Reactions: Tony P

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.