New POV lighting setup help

egobuster1

Jan 26, 2015
Lancaster OH
Alright I'm in the process of buying some basic light set ups and siren set up for my truck. 

This is the combination set up I was looking into getting and looking for suggestions or ideas. 

Thinking this bar for back window since it's a response light and traffic advisor 

http://www.strobesnmore.com/Strobes-N-More-Dual-Color-E66-Super-LED.html

This switch for the back bar 

http://www.strobesnmore.com/strobes-n-more-custom-swtich-for-the-e66.html

Thinking 2 of these for the front window but not sure because I don't want a cig plug and wanna be able to hard wire it 

http://www.strobesnmore.com/Strobes-N-More-Next-Gen-Triple-LED-Dashlight.html

Was thinking a couple of these for my front brush guard 

http://www.strobesnmore.com/Strobes-N-More-E6-Super-MINI-LED.html

or the other option is just throwing a full size light bar onto the top and maybe a couple body mount LED and call it a day, just not a big fan of the light bar look on top.

I would like to be able to incorporate everything and all the features into a single light controller or a siren and light controller

LDEMS1

May 8, 2015
Wisconsin
I like the simple setup. I too am just setting my car up, and have tossed around the SNM stuff, especially the Triple threat. Just not sure since there isnt a lot of info about them out there, and Feniex has 4 watt leds.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Are you going to be running lights and a siren or courtesy lights? What type of vehicle are these going on? What's your budget?

Reactions: Sparky_911

egobuster1

Jan 26, 2015
Lancaster OH
They'll be lights sirens for me in red and some in red and white and I'll be putting them on my 2003 F250. For budget I would like to stay under 1000 for now

the other thing i'm having issues with is i don't wanna have like 5 different switch boxes for each light and i really don't like the cigarette lighter plug style as i would to be able to hard wire everything into some sort of switch box that can run and control all the lights

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
They'll be lights sirens for me in red and some in red and white and I'll be putting them on my 2003 F250. For budget I would like to stay under 1000 for now

the other thing i'm having issues with is i don't wanna have like 5 different switch boxes for each light and i really don't like the cigarette lighter plug style as i would to be able to hard wire everything into some sort of switch box that can run and control all the lights
Something I would suggest is maybe a lightbar. An Edge or MX7000 would look really good on the roof of that style truck.

You can also find switch boxes on here generally for a good price.

Or you could look around and get a used smart siren on here for a good price.

I don't know if you want all leds or if you are fine with strobes and such but you can find all sorts of stuff on here in the sale threads.

Reactions: Sparky_911

egobuster1

Jan 26, 2015
Lancaster OH
If I go with a roof mount light bar I wanna go with a slim style all led bar something like a Whalen liberty but would like to find something under 1000 bucks since j need a siren to go with it

Marc M

May 21, 2010
Georgia
A big truck needs BIG lights! Whelen M7s or 700s for the grill, M4s or 400s for the side of the brush guard. A head light flasher is a must. A PowerArc DM12 on the dash. The SNM E66 for the rear window and a set of Feniex cannons for the taillights. Would be a little over $1000.

Last edited by a moderator:

egobuster1

Jan 26, 2015
Lancaster OH
That seems like a lot of lights lol.

Nkw everyone has me thinking a full size light bar is the easiest way to go and was looking at the whacker verve 2.0 48" for 700.00 maybe a couple Whalen lights for the brush guard and a siren and calling it a day

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky

Nkw everyone has me thinking a full size light bar is the easiest way to go and was looking at the whacker verve 2.0 48" for 700.00 maybe a couple Whalen lights for the brush guard and a siren and calling it a day
Idk what Whacker Tech is like now so I'll let someone else chime in on them. I know a buddy of mine has a front and rear interior lightbar from them that he bought a few years ago and they were blinding day and night. The ones he had are just as good as Whelen lights.

egobuster1

Jan 26, 2015
Lancaster OH
That's good to hear! They seem decent especially for the price and I can use it for priority lights and as a traffic advisor plus it comes with the 9 switch control box that I think I could wire any additional lights into then toss a siren in and be done with it

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
That's good to hear! They seem decent especially for the price and I can use it for priority lights and as a traffic advisor plus it comes with the 9 switch control box that I think I could wire any additional lights into then toss a siren in and be done with it
Another option if you want to consider it is a buddy of mine has some Whelen Freedoms for $500 shipped if you would want something like that. They are all red and the rear inboard lights are red over Amber.

egobuster1

Jan 26, 2015
Lancaster OH
Alright I'll check them out, not sure if I'll go that route or not as that bar to me is a bit bulky for a POV but we'll see I guess.

Really liking the whacker bar for the price so far but can't beat whelen quality

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Alright I'll check them out, not sure if I'll go that route or not as that bar to me is a bit bulky for a POV but we'll see I guess.

Really liking the whacker bar for the price so far but can't beat whelen quality
I don't blame you. I just got ahold of him so he should be getting me his email. He actually has lowered the price to $400 shipped in your color.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL

No. Just no. Don't waste $700 on a Chinese piece of crap when there are so many quality, American Made bars available on the used market for very reasonable prices. You can pick up a used but in good condition Whelen Liberty in the classifieds right now for $400. 

Here's an awesome Whelen 295SLSA6 for $250 shipped

Get yourself some grill and intersection lights and a HLF and TLF and you will have a very solid warning package for around $1000. 

Storm82

Dec 16, 2014
Ludlow Falls, Ohio
No. Just no. Don't waste $700 on a Chinese piece of crap when there are so many quality, American Made bars available on the used market for very reasonable prices. You can pick up a used but in good condition Whelen Liberty in the classifieds right now for $400.

Here's an awesome Whelen 295SLSA6 for $250 shipped

Get yourself some grill and intersection lights and a HLF and TLF and you will have a very solid warning package for around $1000.
I agree, I am already in that spot with a Korean built light bar.

I bought it locally, it is sitting in my basement right now, because I don't have a vehicle to put it on, and I am almost afraid to try to sell it, lol.

Save yourself the headache and find a good used Libby, Freedom etc.......

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Well I guess I'll take the advise of you guys and find myself a good used whelen or code3 or something
Most used LED bars here on ELB are in really good shape.  You have to poke around the for sale forums a bit but its worth it.  I picked up a barely used and loaded 50" Freedom for $250....and it looks/works like new, buying new would have cost me 2000+.   Make sure and look into the Transaction Feedback Forum as well, don't want to get taken for a ride.

Oh and it looks awesome on my 1500 Silverado...Bonus...I can still fit in the drive thru car wash...would probably look just as good on a Ford.... :lol:

20150131_235043.jpg

Reactions: Mattdecker

egobuster1

Jan 26, 2015
Lancaster OH
Understandable as I'm knew this hole type of lighting setups so glad I asked.

That freedom bar looks good but my truck already doesn't fit in car washes and parking garages so ain't worried about that anymore!!! Lol

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Egobuster, I think a full-size lightbar is the way to go for a limited budget when running code 3. Ideally, first check out the for-sale section here b/c there are some fantastic deals on NOS Whelen, fedsig, etc LED lightbars here from reputable dealers that you can get for as low as $500

However, if you can't find any deals here for red lightbars, Sirennet.com has a great line of economy-priced products (they're essentially rebranded lights from Whelen, sound off, etc with 5-year warranties at a discounted price). ie the SNLBL5 is a solid lightbar with LED TDs and Alleys for $850. Then, get a basic undercover or E-series 100W siren (off the top of my head, there are 1/2 a dozen solid sirens from Whelen, feniex, Carson, Star/SVP in the $100-150 range) and a dependable speaker. You can either use factory upgitter switches or some carling rocker switches to keep the lighting control simple.

Then, as a few bucks come your way, you can slowly add some basics, like a HLF and TLF (very inexpensive at ~$30-50 ea.), a pair of red grill lights, strobe HAWs (yes, I said strobes), etc

egobuster1

Jan 26, 2015
Lancaster OH
Really do appreciate all the good input. I'm a take some time and think about it if I wanna go light bar or if I wanna go with interior mounted lights. Still a toss up and both seem to get the job done. Like I've said many of times I don't wanna look like a fire truck going down the road but do want to be seen for my own safety. I'm almost afraid to go light bar since my truck sits pretty high and wonder how well it could even be seen up close while approaching stopped traffic

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Egobuster, I think a full-size lightbar is the way to go for a limited budget when running code 3. Ideally, first check out the for-sale section here b/c there are some fantastic deals on NOS Whelen, fedsig, etc LED lightbars here from reputable dealers that you can get for as low as $500

However, if you can't find any deals here for red lightbars, Sirennet.com has a great line of economy-priced products (they're essentially rebranded lights from Whelen, sound off, etc with 5-year warranties at a discounted price). ie the SNLBL5 is a solid lightbar with LED TDs and Alleys for $850. Then, get a basic undercover or E-series 100W siren (off the top of my head, there are 1/2 a dozen solid sirens from Whelen, feniex, Carson, Star/SVP in the $100-150 range) and a dependable speaker. You can either use factory upgitter switches or some carling rocker switches to keep the lighting control simple.

Then, as a few bucks come your way, you can slowly add some basics, like a HLF and TLF (very inexpensive at ~$30-50 ea.), a pair of red grill lights, strobe HAWs (yes, I said strobes), etc
The new Feniex Cobra exterior bar is priced at $850 for a fully loaded 49" bar. That is definitely the best bang for the buck new lightbar IMO

Really do appreciate all the good input. I'm a take some time and think about it if I wanna go light bar or if I wanna go with interior mounted lights. Still a toss up and both seem to get the job done. Like I've said many of times I don't wanna look like a fire truck going down the road but do want to be seen for my own safety. I'm almost afraid to go light bar since my truck sits pretty high and wonder how well it could even be seen up close while approaching stopped traffic
I get where you're coming from but keep in mind it takes a good bit more money to have a solid, safe interior lighting package than it would with a exterior lightbar. As for the lightbar not being seen close up, this is a very valid concern but is alleviated by different levels of lighting and why grill lights are a very important part of a warning package. A set of Whelen TIR6s are bright and fit great in your truck's grill and are available in the classifieds for less than $100 for the pair.  

egobuster1

Jan 26, 2015
Lancaster OH
This is true and I'm definitely taking it all in.

That feniex cobra is a really good looking lightbar for sure but it looks like it might not be out yet I seen only 1 place who had it listed on there website for say but said its not available until June. Which I haven't no problem waiting on it as feniex definitely makes quality products and that's a really stealth looking bar

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.