New Project: Sync'ing 2 Whelen Slimlighters

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM6402

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hey Elightbarers (I think that's grammatically correct?)

This weekend's project is going to be to sync my two Slimlighters. I currently have one R/R and one B/B. The plan is to remove the two drone halves (The ones without the flashers) and swap them. I then plan to solder both blue modules to one side of the flasher (On one of the Slimlighters), and both reds on the other. So in essence, I will only be using the internal flasher from one slimlighter.

If I was a good diagram artist I would make one, but I'm not. Is this going to work as well as I think it will, or am I better off just having them not sync'd?

-JM

Reactions: JohnMarcson

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
I think it's a good idea... keep us updated on this!

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
A buddy of mine was talking about doing something similar that you might want to entertain. He has a blue/blue slimlighter and an amber/amber slimlighter. He wants to mount both side by side out the back window on the headliner. He wants each light to be blue/amber though and have the blues alternate and the ambers alternate. Each color will be on its own flasher allowing for seperate switching and it'll be somewhat synced at times but still a little chaotic.

I was going to swap two heads so that the lights become B/A A/B when looking at them. Then simply extend the wiring from each flasher to control the same color head in the opposite light housing.

Otherwise if you go with your current plan, make sure the flasher output is capable of handling the load of two heads vs. just one. As long as it can, you'll be fine.

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
There's been a few ways discussed on how to accomplish this sync. I know I've seen a clip on YouTube of a guy that sync'd them. Just out of curiosity, are you able to buy 4 - 500 Series*tir6 and sync them? You might have to be creative with mounting, but same light output.

rescue290

Jul 25, 2010
MD, USA
I had an older slimlighter that I had changed the colors around once or twice. I think the flasher went bad on it. The vehicle that I had at the time had one slimlighter in the back, so I added the one with the bad flasher, took the 'guts' out of it, and hooked up the individual lightheads to the flasher of the working slimlighter. I think this is what you're trying to do, so your answer would be yes, it works well. I gather that you will most likely void any factory warantees if you do this, so be careful.

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
Not exactly the same scenario but I bypassed the internal flasher on a slimlighter and connected to a ULF44 so it would sync. That worked fine. Also have bypassed the flasher in a Talon and used a ULF44.

The concept of this thread should work as long as the internal flasher can power 2 modules per channel (doubling the load).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.