New Q vs old Q

jmamrak

Registered Member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
I have 2 Q2b’s. One seems to wind up much faster and peak out a lot quicker then the other. Is this a design difference? Or is my motor worn out? My old Q takes more then 6 seconds to peak out. My newer one is around 3. Thoughts or suggestions?

firebuff17

Silver Donor
Mar 28, 2011
CT
I was wondering the same thing?
There is a guy on YouTube who uploads some videos of fixing Q’s and from what I can tell it might have to do with the clutch mechanisms. But that’s just a guess.

Hopefully somebody with fact will chime in!

jmamrak

Registered Member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
I was wondering the same thing?
There is a guy on YouTube who uploads some videos of fixing Q’s and from what I can tell it might have to do with the clutch mechanisms. But that’s just a guess.

Hopefully somebody with fact will chime in!
Thanks I will check out YouTube. I have done some clutch maintenance before. Such a shame Skip isn’t around. He would know exactly what to tell me.

Reactions: firebuff17

Wailer

Veteran Member
May 24, 2010
Canada
I don't know if it is old vs new sirens, but I noticed that Q sirens on antique fire engines don't get as high-pitched as those on modern fire engines. Maybe that has something to do with the electrical system on the older trucks.

firebuff17

Silver Donor
Mar 28, 2011
CT
I know there are also changes in the number of holes (well rectangles)(9 and 14 are coming to mind but that is a vague memory so don’t quote me on that) in the stator also. I would assume that changed the pitch also.

Reactions: sykoball01

TDC

Platinum Donor
Dec 4, 2012
near Carswell AFB, TX
Really no help here, but I remember hearing that the old clutch would allow the siren to roll out until nature took over, some 5 minutes long until it completely stopped.
Maybe there is a field test in there somewhere.

Staff online

Search for a Member

About us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! We strive to keep our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All actions and transactions within are secured by Sectigo SSL with high-strength encryption.