New Q vs old Q

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
I have 2 Q2b’s. One seems to wind up much faster and peak out a lot quicker then the other. Is this a design difference? Or is my motor worn out? My old Q takes more then 6 seconds to peak out. My newer one is around 3. Thoughts or suggestions?

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
I was wondering the same thing?
There is a guy on YouTube who uploads some videos of fixing Q’s and from what I can tell it might have to do with the clutch mechanisms. But that’s just a guess.

Hopefully somebody with fact will chime in!

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
I was wondering the same thing?
There is a guy on YouTube who uploads some videos of fixing Q’s and from what I can tell it might have to do with the clutch mechanisms. But that’s just a guess.

Hopefully somebody with fact will chime in!
Thanks I will check out YouTube. I have done some clutch maintenance before. Such a shame Skip isn’t around. He would know exactly what to tell me.

Reactions: firebuff17

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I don't know if it is old vs new sirens, but I noticed that Q sirens on antique fire engines don't get as high-pitched as those on modern fire engines. Maybe that has something to do with the electrical system on the older trucks.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
I know there are also changes in the number of holes (well rectangles)(9 and 14 are coming to mind but that is a vague memory so don’t quote me on that) in the stator also. I would assume that changed the pitch also.

Reactions: sykoball01

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
Really no help here, but I remember hearing that the old clutch would allow the siren to roll out until nature took over, some 5 minutes long until it completely stopped.
Maybe there is a field test in there somewhere.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.