New Responder Vehicle Visibility Report from USFA

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
Just released. The pdf report can be found here. Best Practices for Emergency Vehicle Visibility | 1/17/13 Press Release

The report primarily shows examples of reflective markings and rear light arrangements being used by various types of responder vehicles worldwide to increase rear visibility. Structural firefighting apparatus are specifically excluded from this report since NFPA has guidelines regarding chevrons and rear lights on apparatus. It appears that the intent is just to show what other departments are doing and pass along ideas, and not to make anything standard.

:popcorn:

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Seems pointless. A bunch of varying examples that go from one extreme to the other.

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
Umm...what was the point of that? I saw a few vehicles on there with chevrons going the "wrong" direction. I'm all about sharing what works for others (hello ELB!) but showing wrong stuff too? Then again...we do have a screwed up install thread, don't we?

pop2one

Feb 7, 2012
Texas
They should have just created a photobucket account that said, "Crap we found on the internet". That was worthless. It looked a lot like a Google Image search.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
All the lights and reflective material in the world is useless when people just dont pay attention driving down the road. No one wants to slow down when they see an emergency vehicle anymore. Add to that the distractions of cell phones and texting and those shaving and applying makeup while driving. All add to a deadly mixture.

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
pop2one said:
They should have just created a photobucket account that said, "Crap we found on the internet". That was worthless. It looked a lot like a Google Image search.

And that my friends is your tax dollars at work. Exactly why i used the :popcorn: emoti after I looked at it. They even issued a press release about releasing that POS report......

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Re: "These images were obtained during a federally-funded research program and are included to demonstrate additional alternative choices for the marking of vehicles in the United States."

Where do I sign up for this job? I want to travel all over the world to snap some pix.

Also, it seems to me I've seen some of these patterns before. Hmmmm, where was that...

pattern.jpg

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
JazzDad said:
Re: "These images were obtained during a federally-funded research program and are included to demonstrate additional alternative choices for the marking of vehicles in the United States."

Where do I sign up for this job? I want to travel all over the world to snap some pix.

Also, it seems to me I've seen some of these patterns before. Hmmmm, where was that...

You mean jump on google and rip off some images?

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
wow. completely useless :hopeless: :bonk: :duh: :weird:

DJZS

Dec 17, 2012
VA
pop2one said:

I thought the exact same thing.

picone239

Jul 22, 2010
Paramus, NJ
I found it to be very educational...I can sell my rear and side lights and just tape a few pieces of cardboard with chevron striping to my car

GBEngineer

May 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Seriously the author of that document should be very ashamed, a random collection of undated images with no attempt to explain the reason behind the variations for instance due to different countries traffic laws in what reflective colours can be used and no references to any of the multiple research projects around the world into vehicle conspicuity.

All of those English police car/van examples of West Midlands Police stripes are also years out of date having moved towards the battenburg design for which there was not even one proper example of the UK Police design.

If you seriously want to know more about conspicuity start at this site Ambulance Visibility Blog | Emergency vehicle visibility and conspicuity research & comments for the Police, Fire, EMS and Ambulance: The AV Blog is written by John Killeen and read all the research papers he has references to and you will see there is no magic solution but the method that works best is a consistent visual image for all vehicles stopping in hazardous locations that highlights the shape of the vehicle and provides a contrast to the surroundings e.g large areas of solid flouresent/reflective colour.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.