New ride!!! 2011 Escape Upfit

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Just got off the phone with havis, from where i was sent the wrong panel for the passenger side, they will be sending me one out to replace the wrong one...

did a little more wiring last night..

IMG_0449.JPG

terminal strip which is powered by mode one of sw400

IMG_0450.JPG

cig outlet installed to it, along with backlighting..

IMG_0452.JPG

heres the cig outlet with its componets lit up (cell phone charger and gps)
IMG_0453.JPG

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
night time goodness...

IMG_0455.JPG

lights on

IMG_0458.JPG

and all switches on.IMG_0459.JPG

think ive figured out the sizing issue with photos... this lil "HDR" button has to be pushed for every photo for it to come out right, somewhere a setting has gone out of whack...

Reactions: OliverD

Evtech161

Nov 9, 2016
Woburn
love the backlight glow.. looks cool.. next time you need to order something email me.. i can get it dropped shipped to you. also, a little bit of wax on those terminal strips may keep them from vibrating loose....

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
good tip... im all out of money until i get the kia sold (or mowing season starts LOL)... so nothing new to be added for awhile

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
here's a close up of the 3 outlet panel i had installed...
undid it to day to put in the panel that showed up yesterday to replace the one that was wrong...

drilled a hole, and loomed it to protect it.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_IMG_0465.jpg

correct panel installed...
IMG_0466.JPG

fuse panel cover installed
IMG_0467.JPG

and while i was at it i took the "microphone holder" i used in the KIA and it is now double sided sticky taped to the filler plate next to the mini 4200 (this is actual an old school cell phone holder...

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_IMG_0469.jpg

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i don't know what kind of metal Havis uses in their consoles but you almost need a plasma cutter to get through them... they have wore out my hole saw on top of the dremel bits...

IMG_0470.JPG

i used a bit here at work and it finished up the hole i started at the house...

usb port in...
(not wired up yet...)
IMG_0471.JPG

figured since it cut so well i might as well do the rear power out let as well...

IMG_0472.JPG

Now to wire these up tomorrow...

IMG_0473.JPG

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
been a few days since updated but both outlets were wired in. the usb was wired in to the sw400 position , the cig outlet was wired into the fuse panel

i also cleaned up all the wiring going from the console to the dual appollo, gps, and titan 100s as seen 2 posts above

since the weather got warm again for 48 hours last night i was toying around with areas to mount the storm pro
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have 2 areas one is more desired i guess than the other as less wiring will be needed but the floor heater vent would be sitting right next to it and that could be bad...

this is under passenger seat (as seen from looking towards the front) id need a shorter wiring harness except for the speaker wires... and id have to make a way for it not sit directly on the carpet...

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_IMG_0477.jpg

second option is in front of the console which also has carpetting in front of it. itd need a longer wiring harness but shorter speaker wires...

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_IMG_0476.jpg

im wondering how hot the storm pro actually gets if it would melt the carpet...

also need to find a used sa314 and get an escape bracket for it.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
emailed Feniex the other day and was told the siren normally operates around 80 degrees and that the max temp it will handle is 140 so maybe under the passenger is a no go(next to duct work) so looks like it will be going in the second spot in front of the console...

ill make some "stilts" with some screws to keep it off the carpet and allow for some circulation. ( i may have some scrap metal laying around somewhere from other projects)

and i ordered the escape bracket but it is back ordered for 2 weeks because even though it is still sold, its not in stock...:confused:

Evtech161

Nov 9, 2016
Woburn
Not sure if you could maybe cut the section of carpet out? Or maybe put a block of wood down? Or metal works too.... the trick with drilling those havis plates, is a good hole saw, not harbor freight grade, Lennox,dewalt.. ect.. then low speed, and high pressure.... when I do them in the shop, I use the drill press....

Reactions: Doyle257

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
figured id add some "walk around" vids...

All Amber

"Code 2"

"Code 3"

still waiting for speaker bracket to arrive and Evtech161, i sent you an email yesterday

hfdemt4095

Jul 1, 2014
Holliston ma
Too much Amber going on in the rear for code 3, especially with the patterns used. But everyone has their own opinion.

Front looks good but I think you need some intersection warning

Evtech161

Nov 9, 2016
Woburn
figured id add some "walk around" vids...

All Amber

"Code 2"

"Code 3"

still waiting for speaker bracket to arrive and Evtech161, i sent you an email yesterday
I got it, sorry for the delay but we just got hit with two pretty big snow storms up here and have been digging out.... I have one of them in stock, and I should have pricing for you by tommorow morning once I can get to my desk... truck looks awesome

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Too much Amber going on in the rear for code 3, especially with the patterns used. But everyone has their own opinion.

Front looks good but I think you need some intersection warning

I can drop the rear amber bar with the push of a button and just have red and red /amber cannons. But it doesn't seem like enough lighting which is why the bar is in night rider pattern....

Intersection and side lighting as previously stated will come when funds and other parts get here.... im planning on adding t3s or 40 degree fusions when I get a push bar and more fusions will go in back window. Also, a HLF is in the works.... but I can't legally run code 3 till I get a siren in and that's in the works now....

I appreciate your comments :)

I got it, sorry for the delay but we just got hit with two pretty big snow storms up here

Ok,take your time

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
No such thing as too much amber to the rear. It is the picked up/registered by the eye and brain more quickly than any other. Looks great Jarred!

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Looking good. The only thing I'm not really a fan of is the pattern the cannons and Apollos are set to in mode 3. I prefer a pattern with some off time between colors. I think it's more effective than when they just change colors.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i like "action flash" and that is the closest thing feniex has.... is there a pattern in there somewhere like it that slows the colors down some?

( the slimlighter and dual talon in the pick up are set to the same thing... except the tir3's in the grille of the pickup is set to random on a SOS "strobe" flasher)

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Well my speaker bracket has yet to arrive... ( guess I'll be making a phone call Monday)

Arm rest got here and with some of my birthday money I'd figure I'd make myself a little more legal since law says so....

I got a set of these in reflective

IMG_0487.JPG

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_IMG_0488.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony P

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
did this over the weekend...

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_IMG_0489.jpg
[Broken External Image]:http://[URL]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/military_dude69/IMG_0489.jpg

weather was whacky and me and the fiancee went and celebrated my Bday a week late so didnt do much else...

i called the company i ordered the speaker bracket from. i told them of my order and that it had been almost a month with no product...

they apologized said they would email me info when they got it and their reply was...

Thank you for your patience. We contacted Whelen and they have not yet produced this part. We sent the order to them several weeks ago but it seems they did process it. We re-sent the order today and hopefully we will be able to get an idea of when it will ship. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

So, ive been waiting for almost a month because of WHELEN!!!

Reactions: Tony P

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
goodness for this past weekend...

i was going to initially use this to make a "remote mount" for the siren in the KIA but car wasnt big enough for a speaker...

IMG_0501.JPG

i was going to make a remote siren with a radio shock project box

IMG_0502.JPG

so i re-purposed it for the console...

IMG_0507.JPG

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
wiring through to the console...

IMG_0508.JPG

and connected to the sw400J

IMG_0511.JPG

siren power is wired up to slide position 1 on sw400 which is the same wire that powers backlighting cig outlets, and usb. (no parasitic draw)

and here it is set up to warn the passenger im driving............ NOT

IMG_0512.JPG

ive still got to make the "stilts" so its not sitting on the carpet.. i have hardware and metal just not cut drilled yet...

speaker bracket showed up and today the speaker itself showed up.

Just got to have time to mount it supposed to storm tonight

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
my best friend used to be an auto body tech in his younger days before his back got messed up from it... so i went over to house tuesday and after what should have been a simple took hours as usual...

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_IMG_0516.jpg

yanked the bumper cover off...

installed and testing...

and after many hours of trying to get the bumper cover realigned we couldnt get the chrome cover to line back up right... after eating supper we got it back on...

IMG_0520.JPG

turns out i didn't have to cut that center support like the instructions say so now ive got something else to fix...

and "scientifically measuring" the speaker wire...

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_IMG_0519.jpg

i had to repair the grill lights were the grounds got tore out while removing the bumper cover... so i had to fix that yesterday... Now to wire speaker to siren

lil diddy about last night

i rolled up on a non injury wreck . this lil lady told me my rear lights were too bright LOL all i had on was the cannons and red micromans... if she was coming the other way she really whod have been blinded by the 2 deputies and a trooper car...

Reactions: NVFD612

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
speaker wire loomed from speaker connection to inside the vehicle... the white loom i ordered was too big for this application so i just stuck with regular old black...

IMG_0522.JPG

and zip tied to the control harness and installed in siren..

IMG_0524.JPG

mowing season has begun so now i can start saving up for some intersection lights

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
on june 28th i ordered 2 40 degree fusions in red/amber...

today (almost 3 weeks to the date) , they showed up....

these will be going in the cargo area windows for side lighting

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

I'm debating if i want to set it up as amber comes on with the amber cannons on the same flash pattern and sync them... and do the same for the reds....

(with a slower pattern)

OR

amber come on with amber

red/amber come on mode 3 of the cannons so no side lighting on "stationary"mode 2" this would allow me me to hit the mode 3 button

IMG_0418.JPG

and it would turn on only the cannons and fusions in red amber...
OR

set up mode 2 as red only and have it come on with mode 2 of the cannons / end "ta" flashers (all red )

and have mode 1 set up as red/amber and have it come on with mode 3 of the cannons and synced with its pattern...

leaving no side coverage for amber only mode....

Come on feneix where are our three mode fusions this would solve my dilemma

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i think i will do the red... red/amber mix as i do more public safety stuff than ham stuff nowadays

here is a mock up with a jumper box for the red amber...

i just took these vids here at work im pulling a boulder... LOL

i beleive i will have to mount these here permanetly due to the angle of the plastic, i was hoping i could get away with heavy duty sticky tape, to not damage the vehicle more than neccesary.

i also thought about trying to do them vertically but it looks like it will be a pain and not ass effective?

IMG_0567.JPG

why narrow the profile and use 400 washers as spacers....

ill just mount it as far forward as possible i guess.

in a perfect world if i had enough money id have a fusion 200 or one horizontal and one vertical....

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
ohh yeah and to mount it here, ill have to raise it 1/4 inch above the pure black line on the window

IMG_0564.JPG

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
think i might have found a solution... should have gotten these first...

awww.sirenworld.com_image_cache_data___Fusion_51248Fusion_20wiaac466aed731c508f8384069f0fe211d.jpg

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
so friday they showed up...

IMG_0568.JPG

i didnt know "some assembly was required" with the sticky tape

so mocked it up with a battery to see how itll look

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0569.JPG

this was in the afternoon around 1 or 2

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Videos of it temporaryily mounted...

lil off axis test

and with the cannons

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
and i made this vid in case i wanted to make these fusion 200 or ad another at a later date...

ai1.kym_cdn.com_photos_images_facebook_000_401_463_ee2.png

after the sun went down and it wasnt a heat index of 105

it was time to dig out the wiring supplies...

IMG_0576.JPG

cleaned all the stuff out of the back and got to the wiring part....
(the liquid by my keys is sweat)
IMG_0577.JPG

not sure why i took this pic of my sweat towel, maybe it was "pre light install" it was getting to be around 10pm and the temp was still heat index of 90's

Attachments

• IMG_0578.JPG
    IMG_0578.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 2

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
and here would be the post driver side light install with the panels buttoned back up...

IMG_0580.JPG

now to start the passenger side which is a little trickier....

IMG_0582.JPG

its a shorter run of wires to the terminal strips but ive got the amp and other wires to get around...

i got the wires ran to the terminal strip and the light attached but it was so friggin hot ( i was starting to cramp from dehydration) that i called it a night, plus i was short a few ring terminals short for the terminal strip....
IMG_0584.JPG

i was also half way through the second battery on my strion so i buttoned everything back up
IMG_0585.JPG

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
driver side installed and wired.. i changed the pattern on the cannons from the fast double to the slow quad for more "on time" but its still too fast to my liking

mode 1 fusion, mode 2 cannon

mode 2 fusion and 3 cannon,
I didnt have to set this up as master slave they were already synced....

and this was the passenger side before it was permanently wired, this light was set as slave to the other...

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
the loom going to the drivers side is for the fusion... in pic above, i loomed it

ai.ytimg.com_vi_GLnUAM5npoM_hqdefault.jpg

tore everything back out of the ride...

now with more terminal connectors in hand i got the job done...

IMG_0588.JPG

trying to find a ground point on the passenger side was a beeyatch. i didnt want to run a ground all the way back to the ground block, i found a bolt that went to a a movable screw point located on the sub holder. i tried mounting it to the front of the bolt because it would be easy, but alas it was not a good enough ground, the fusion would flash dimly on red but would even flash amber... so of course it had to be more difficult...

i undid the bolt which then moved the bolt holder from the little square it was...

so i had to make a tool to help me out...

i happen to of had a sparkler in the ride from the 4th. the coat hanger i had to use to run the wires through the storage box was to big to fit where i needed this to go.

i burned the sparkler then cut the burnt part off and made this... it realigned the square bolt holder back to its original position, i ran the ground loop terminal through it and viola it worked...

IMG_0589.JPG

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
And now for the walk arounds with new lights...

Code 3

we'll call this On scene

and all red

I went to show my lights to a co worker tonight who was watching me set the patterns up Thursday and i noticed that the my driver side cannon has bit the dust....

all wiring is fine but its not coming on......

Reactions: Kendreth

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
and after its replacement showed up, the new cannon is in and one of the microman mans came loose and i fixed it as well...

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Well since mowing season hasn't started no new money has come in for lights and other stuff. I did however spend a lil of my new "not taxed as much money" on a few decals... I've got a friend who bought some things like these but his were more gun themed and he had to have someone make them for him after he bought the black reflective off amazon...

ai67.tinypic.com_rw12rr.jpg

ai68.tinypic.com_34fff5s.jpg

Got them to upload off tinypic finally..

The left is my radio ID (same as front license plate) and the right is an American flag. I've been sitting on these for a few weeks but I had to wait for the weather to be above 60 to apply them. It finally hit that last Friday.

I will say if you need some custom stickers for your vehicles or otherwise I got them at carstickers.com and it wasn't but about $20 with shipping for both of these.

For my birthday next week, my fiance is getting my front windows tinted for me.

the next thing to be gotten will either be the trailer hitch / lighting adapter, or bullbar with intersection lights, or if I can find some harnesses for the headlights (vehicle side, I can find the headlight side all day long) I will install a HLF.

just thought I'd give a quick update

Attachments

• aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_KIMG0131.jpg
    aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_KIMG0131.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 9
  • aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_KIMG0132.jpg
    aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v689_military_dude69_KIMG0132.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Tony P

Sep 13, 2015
Midwest, USA
To post photos from your phone, select upload a file then chose the photo from your phone directly.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i will have to try that...

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Birthday present yesterday...

KIMG0140.JPG

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.