New ride! 2019 Toyota Rav4

NJEMS1

Mar 26, 2017
NNJ
What’s up guys!

I gave my wife my 2018 Camry which I’ve previously posted about.

I picked up a 2019 Toyota RAV4. I’ve since re-joined a Fire Department so I can now run blue front, red/blue/amber rear again.

In the interim, I’ve got my old LS12 in the rear and a dual color feniex dash light in the front.

Haven’t figured out exactly what I want to do yet, but I’ll probably go fogs, grill, dash and maybe a dual color feniex T/A warning bar for the rear.
Picking up a mini 4200 for the controls. No siren.

Let me know what you think and if anyone has worked on this new body style yet.

Attachments

• 84E2D540-F71B-49F7-A6D6-F92C8D87A1AF.jpeg
    84E2D540-F71B-49F7-A6D6-F92C8D87A1AF.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: Tony P

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Love the new RAV4. Can’t say I’ve worked on that one, but I’ve worked on older Toyota SUVs (including my own)....since they’re so well-built, they’re also a pain in the ass to work on and pull apart & do installs on lol.

I’d keep it nice and simple: dash, grill, rear 600-type dual color light stick. I think the new, mean grill is screaming for some solid blue M4’s or M6’s. I know it’s not symmetrical (which drives some ppl crazy lol) but I’d consider adding a single blue avenger on the passenger side of the RVM so that you have 3 levels of warning (headliner, dash, grill) without having to work around the Toyota headliner

NJEMS1

Mar 26, 2017
NNJ
So far I've got a few lights that are going to be installed.

FRONT:

FS single Viper s2 on pass side upper windshield
Whelen Avenger II Solo on dash

Whelen microns in grill (b)

Feniex cannons in fog lights (w)

REAR:

Avenger in upper middle glass (r/b)

Cannons in reverse lights (w/a)

im keeping it simple, but be able to be seen.

I'll upgrade as time/money allows

Krsdog25

Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Up to you if you want to risk it in your town, but if you're only authorized to run blue to the front then you are only authorized to run blue to the rear. The common volley theory that NJMVC code covering flashing red and amber to the rear for turn signals/hazards also covers red/amber emergency lighting won't hold up in court. Blue/amber won't raise any eyebrows but you might get some unwanted attention if you run red. Not coming down on you by any means, just want to make sure you have the knowledge before you go too far down the road and spend a bunch of money.

As for the setup I'd say you're spot on. I'd swap the avenger in the rear for a Feniex 400 40deg in B/A and maybe throw some blue T3s in the rear 1/4 windows and call it a day.

Last edited:

NJEMS1

Mar 26, 2017
NNJ
Finally got around to stage 1 of the build. I changed my mind on a few things and opted for a simple, yet effective set up. I do not use my lights all that often, so its enough to get me where I'm going.

Installed:

FRONT:

GRILL: Whelen Microns (blue)
INTERSECTION: Whelen Ions (white)

Synced on X pattern

REAR:

REAR HATCH: Whelen slimlighter (B/A)
LOWER REAR: Whelen Vertex (White in rear turn signals)

*The slimlighter and the vertex's are on independent switches so that, if i choose, I can kill the rear white light*

The dash light is not shown as it will change. Its currently a B/B LED flatlighter. As stated, it serves its purpose as an out of the way light until needed.

All run to switches hidden in the glove box.

Pardon the install pictures, I know they arent the best.

IMG_2850.jpgIMG_2860.jpgIMG_2859.jpgIMG_2854.jpgIMG_2851.jpgIMG_2849.jpgIMG_2854.jpgIMG_2859.jpgIMG_2854.jpgIMG_2851.jpgIMG_2849.jpgIMG_2847.jpgIMG_2846.jpgIMG_2867.jpgIMG_2863.jpgIMG_2862.jpgIMG_2861.jpgIMG_2861.jpg

Last edited:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Nice! Those microns look like a perfect fit; the only thing I’d personally do differently with them is flash them together.

Have you thought about mpowers or ion duos on hood scoop brackets for lower dash level warning. You can have 2 centered or 1 angled to each side to give some off-axis intersection warning (they’ll be out of your way, indiscreet, and be way brighter than the flatliner without going crazy).

NJEMS1

Mar 26, 2017
NNJ
Nice! Those microns look like a perfect fit; the only thing I’d personally do differently with them is flash them together.

Have you thought about mpowers or ion duos on hood scoop brackets for lower dash level warning. You can have 2 centered or 1 angled to each side to give some off-axis intersection warning (they’ll be out of your way, indiscreet, and be way brighter than the flatliner without going crazy).

Thanks!

Its personal preference, but I don't like when lightheads flash together. I understand it give's a bigger footprint, but when there's just two, I like alternating. If I ever add 2 more grill lights, I may do that, but there really isnt any other place to mount them. Believe it or not, where the micron are was the only place in the grill that was both cut out, allowing for proper mounting, and not angled plastic.

For lower dash warning, I'm sure Ill come up with something. I don't want to have a lot showing and screaming for attention. I went with the factory smoked microns for that reason. The Microns are a perfect fit, literally.

The flatlighter serves that purpose as well. I can flip it up when I'm not using it, and you cant see it from the outside. I know there are brighter options out there, but it is what it is. I actually tried to order the code 3 flip visor from Galls before this install. They said it was in stock, and on sale for what I thought was a decent price. It ended up still not shipping after a week, so I cancelled it and saved the $$.

The theory behind this upfit was this:

- I live in a courtesy light state. I'm not running "code" and trying to bust intersections. Although the law is that motorists have to pull to the side and allow us to pass, we still must obey all traffic laws.

- A 90% majority of my responses to the FH are at night. This is just due to my work schedule, or the fact that we have office space at our firehouse, and I often work right from there. The FL may not be the brightest, but with everything else, and at night, its bright enough.

- I wanted to be seen, but not look like a UFO.- Simple and cover all applicable bases.

Reactions: Krsdog25

emtpals

Apr 8, 2013
IL/WI
Love your lighting install, simple and effective. I had a very similar setup on my secondary vehicle, that I only used when my charger was down for repairs. Out of curiosity, why white intersection instead of blue?

If you are interested in a Code 3 visor light, let me know as I just recently moved to Michigan, and am selling my Blue lights that I use to run (Had it on my backup vehicle, so not much run time).

Last edited:

NJEMS1

Mar 26, 2017
NNJ
Love you lighting install. Out of curiosity, why white intersection instead of blue?

If you are interested in a Code 3 visor light, let me know as I just recently moved to Michigan, and am selling my Blue lights that I use to run (Had it on my backup vehicle, so not much run time).

I think white pops more than blue, especially should I have to respond during the day. Its just a better color for attention grabbing all the way around IMHO.

Reactions: RL1 and emtpals

NJEMS1

Mar 26, 2017
NNJ
Updated with a dash light. Bought a code 3 flip light, but wasn’t impressed honestly. It sounds like it’s using ballasts and it makes noise when it flashes.

Decided on a ULB9E mini phantom. Small, unobtrusive and bright. Mounted in the dash with no mounts.

Ive posted videos of both. I know the lighting is different, but you'll see my point.

NJEMS1

Mar 26, 2017
NNJ
Update 7/31/19.

did not like the mid power LEDs in the mini phantom so im selling it.

Picked up a Federal Signal Xstream r/w/b dash light and set it on B/W for an extra pop.

What a fantastic light output for a light about the same size as a mini phantom.

Im going to mess with the location. it kinda points down on my dash, so i may go upper pass side headliner. Thoughts?

Reactions: RL1

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Upper passenger for a mid size SUV would be a good fit. Hits the rear view mirrors of cars and trucks at distance.

NJEMS1

Mar 26, 2017
NNJ
Remounted the dash light to the pass side upper windshield. Working on getting the bracket angled correctly. 79FE9315-BEBF-4680-9DBF-E35CCE362E91.jpeg65EF5FAA-66A5-46B3-A2A4-FE8F3707C1FE.jpeg56A2826A-3618-4601-9223-C8E214B8C0FC.jpeg

Sorry for the glair. It’s finally a sunny day in NJ789DE26E-A804-4001-B754-0EBB40D517D3.png

Attachments

• C56D14E2-48A9-46B6-909A-E340E5AA17CB.jpeg
    C56D14E2-48A9-46B6-909A-E340E5AA17CB.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

NJEMS1

Mar 26, 2017
NNJ
Moved the dash light over towards the center more with hopes it will help with the angle.

So far so good. It really packs a punch for such a tiny light. Video taken today at 12 est with lots of sun.

NJEMS1

Mar 26, 2017
NNJ
Ive stated in previous posts that, yes, I am a volunteer FF/EMT, but I have a day job (like most of us).

My job requires me, at certain times, to be stopped on major roadways. I wanted a small, but powerful pop of amber to help during night hours where i wouldn't want the white vertexes on. I also wanted to ensure 360 view.

I picked up a SoundOff 2400 series low dome beacon. I really wanted the clear dome, but no one had one in stock. I think its perfect. SAE class 1, smaller than any other throw light ive ever had, LED, and BRIGHT!

The roof rack bars block some of the light from the sides, but it is still visible.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.