New siren by El-Car Ltd.

FinnMedic

Mar 15, 2022
Helsinki Finland
As a senior medic, I was invited to participate into a siren-study funded by European Council and it was conducted here in Helsinki, Finland. We went through 22 different siren types by different manufacturers - both European and American. These were analysed in audio lab and then based to this info a new siren was produced. The study proved the following facts that are simply as follows:
- Wail sound was the most audible from longer distance - it changes pitch continuously and breaks through the traffic noise
- Yelp should only be used closer to intersections/from short distance warning
- Air Horn is effective at close range - like when approaching intersections.
- Phaser/ are almost useless. They can be only heard from short distance.
- Dual tone - if used wail+yelp simultaneously did not improve audibility. Dual tone "stereo" in two simultaneous pitch improved slightly audibility.
- Low-frequency sirens, as Howler/Rumbler did not break through traffic noise as well as higher pitched sirens.
- Hi-lo changed pitch too slowly compared to wail. The German type "Martin Horn" was audible but had too much tonal pressure eq. desibels and was dangerously to human and canine ears.
- Mechanical siren types - Federal Q, Timberwolf, etc were very audible but had a problem with weight and were quite noisy to be used in ambulances/police cars. Excellent for fire engines though.
- The siren amplifiers should have min. 200W power and always should use two speakers mounted on grill - never behind it.

So friends - I suggest everyone to use WAIL as the main sound and wail/phaser/airhorn on intersections. That's all we need. Forget hi-lo.

The new demo-siren based on the study can be heard/seen on my tiktok-feed under user @drumgretsch

Reactions: Dave F

Tony P

Sep 13, 2015
Midwest, USA
It would be helpful to post direct links to this new siren here instead of directing users to a social media platform that many members may have no desire to be a part of.

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
As a senior medic, I was invited to participate into a siren-study funded by European Council and it was conducted here in Helsinki, Finland. We went through 22 different siren types by different manufacturers - both European and American. These were analysed in audio lab and then based to this info a new siren was produced. The study proved the following facts that are simply as follows:
- Wail sound was the most audible from longer distance - it changes pitch continuously and breaks through the traffic noise
- Yelp should only be used closer to intersections/from short distance warning
- Air Horn is effective at close range - like when approaching intersections.
- Phaser/ are almost useless. They can be only heard from short distance.
- Dual tone - if used wail+yelp simultaneously did not improve audibility. Dual tone "stereo" in two simultaneous pitch improved slightly audibility.
- Low-frequency sirens, as Howler/Rumbler did not break through traffic noise as well as higher pitched sirens.
- Hi-lo changed pitch too slowly compared to wail. The German type "Martin Horn" was audible but had too much tonal pressure eq. desibels and was dangerously to human and canine ears.
- Mechanical siren types - Federal Q, Timberwolf, etc were very audible but had a problem with weight and were quite noisy to be used in ambulances/police cars. Excellent for fire engines though.
- The siren amplifiers should have min. 200W power and always should use two speakers mounted on grill - never behind it.

So friends - I suggest everyone to use WAIL as the main sound and wail/phaser/airhorn on intersections. That's all we need. Forget hi-lo.

The new demo-siren based on the study can be heard/seen on my tiktok-feed under user @drumgretsch

actually, i would suggest that the study results prove that everything should have a "Q" and a set of grover stutterhorns................

:)

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
actually, i would suggest that the study results prove that everything should have a "Q" and a set of grover stutterhorns................

:)
On a more serious note, a problem I find with mechanical sirens is that they are manually controlled. If there was a device that could make a Q siren do a deep slow rising and falling continuous wail (like an air raid siren), I'd be all for it.

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England
What I find remarkable is that there was a study to determine what most people already know...and have known...for quite some time. For example, in the US, California doesn't even allow for the "3rd" tone for the most part.

Reactions: Dave F

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.