new style of mini lightbar.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
They've been out for a while. If that price is legit, that's way lower then any I've come across, though I'd expect a mag mount.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
and theyve been discussed before because i started a topic on them 2 boards ago lol

tiawah466

May 24, 2010
Rogers County, Oklahoma
They Ebay one is a knock off, the other link is the real thing. If any one is interested in the ECCO brand ones I have 2 brand new permanent mount ones that I can get rid of at a real good price.

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
Tbourg93 said:
Where is the L.E.D at?
On the bottom, they face up.

The top of the reflector needs to be blacked out, the sun shines off it and its brighter than the LEDs. Plus theres no "snap" you get the same constant intensity of the leds, you just see a blink on, then off.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Based on the video it doesn't look that great.... needs better focused and refined mirror units. The amp draw difference between this and a highlighter would be negligable and the halogen highlighter would be much brighter.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
Jared @ 911Lights said:
Preco is one of ECCO's companies, but that price seems too good to be true.

-Jared

I thought there was a connection. The single beacon version has been out for quite a while, but has been too pricey at least for me. The videos I've seen of the dual have been great, but i can't really trust a video.

At that price, I may take the gamble, but there has to be a catch.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Richard P said:

The top of the reflector needs to be blacked out, the sun shines off it and its brighter than the LEDs. Plus theres no "snap" you get the same constant intensity of the leds, you just see a blink on, then off.
+1 on the blackout on the reflector tops.

I think they have TIR optics; dont remember where i read that though. Saw an amber one at night several weeks ago and it was pretty effective.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Jared @ 911Lights said:
They have been out for a while, 2 years at least, they are pretty impressive in person, the price has been the main factor that I have seen keeping them out of the market, still they have a good following on the Amber side. The Amp draw is 2.6 Amps, much less than the 8.6 Amps that a Halogen Highlighter Draws.

Preco is one of ECCO's companies, but that price seems too good to be true.

-Jared

Not having seen them in person I can't say for sure on brightness I guess... I would like to see it next to a halogen highlighter though.

I don't think 3 amps vs 8 is a significant difference for most applications though. I admit that I am not a fan of any rotating LED. I just don't think the moving parts are necessary with a type of light that can be flashed in any pattern you want. I am a fan of big same color blocks of slowly flashing lights anyway, so I guess I am kinda biased against such a product.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I don't doubt that an rotating LED can be effective, I just think it's not needed. You can make just as effective light w/o any moving parts. Yeah it's 1/3 the amps of a halogen bar but it's 1/3 of 8 or 9 amps which isn't much. Things like the new rotating federal signal V bar are super cool and a great toy.... but I'll take a stationary LED bar with a slow flash rate with the same colors flashing together in big blocks over any rotator.... halogen or LED. Back when strobes were the next cool thing I thought they were an answer to a nonexistant problem too. We had one ambulance with strobe 9x7 lights and one with halogen 9x7s and the halogen was more visible and you could track the distance better. There will always be cool toys out there, but a well setup simple system wins hands down every time in my opinion.....

Post hijack over...

the ecco unit is an interesting concept, similar to the old federal and dazl rays with a bulb in the base and a rotating mirror over it.

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
JohnMarcson said:
I don't doubt that an rotating LED can be effective, I just think it's not needed. You can make just as effective light w/o any moving parts. Yeah it's 1/3 the amps of a halogen bar but it's 1/3 of 8 or 9 amps which isn't much. Things like the new rotating federal signal V bar are super cool and a great toy.... but I'll take a stationary LED bar with a slow flash rate with the same colors flashing together in big blocks over any rotator.... halogen or LED. Back when strobes were the next cool thing I thought they were an answer to a nonexistant problem too. We had one ambulance with strobe 9x7 lights and one with halogen 9x7s and the halogen was more visible and you could track the distance better. There will always be cool toys out there, but a well setup simple system wins hands down every time in my opinion.....

Post hijack over...

the ecco unit is an interesting concept, similar to the old federal and dazl rays with a bulb in the base and a rotating mirror over it.

I agree slow patterns of the same colors seems way more effective.. i hate when a bar is rbrbrbrb and flashes different colors at the same time. Seems very ineffective.

This lightbar seems like a pretty good idea.. but I feel like there is better out there.

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
As for a rotating LED light I think this is the only one. Power Arc LED Bars don't count cause they don't rotate, the oscillate

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
ffjwhite said:
As for a rotating LED light I think this is the only one. Power Arc LED Bars don't count cause they don't rotate, the oscillate

The new federal LED rotating v bar counts....

Stendec

May 21, 2010
Re the new Federal bar, I'd like to see 3-pod and 1-pod versions, but the Preco price will probable cover one mounting bolt and a gasket on the FS bar.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Seen these in person on a construction tractor and they were super bright in the Bright South Texas sun i want one in all red or red blue mix.

FedSigFan

May 21, 2010
DFW
I've seen the amber flavor of these on the highway, broad daylight, and thought for sure they were halogen until I got close enough to realize they were hybrid LEDs. I was impressed.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
I have 2 of the preco led rotator beacons here. Not very impressive. Class 2 only. Outrageously durable though - I can drop them 4' onto concrete and they just bounce and keep working.

Didn't preco go out of business? Bought by someone maybe?

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Here's a couple videos of the LED rotator beacons in question...

Amber color

KC8NZJ

Aug 13, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Richard P said:

I know this is a two year old thread but I thought the shape of the reflector was intentional. The first time I ever saw one of these it was on the highway at about noon on a bright sunny day. The perfect angle of the sun created a beacon that double flashed amber and white (as it reflected the sun). It was a really neat effect. Of course, the sun has to be in the PERFECT position for it to work, but it was still effective.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.