New Supervisor Flex problems and questions

jdip

May 26, 2010
Mooresville , NC
Removed my inner edge XLP single color and replaced it with a Supervisor Flex in Red White dual color. I got this unit used and it is still under warranty.
I tested it and swear all functions were working prior to install. After my installer finished putting it in we noticed the far passenger side dual color lightheads has the white not operating in all functions scene, warning, and takedown. The red in the same lighthead operates fine.

Second problem and perhaps the more serious one is when I activate the scene mode, my warning lights (all different ones) activate at a very low power. The lights that come on are my feniex t3s in the rear window, plate bracket, intersection bracket and my sound off ghosts in the grill. My whelen lin3, FireWire rocker panel LEDs and tailgate led are all unaffected. Intermittently one of my whelen talons in the rear window will glitch as well the but only has happened 2/30 tests.
In addition when I deactivate the scene light the button on the controller turns the input off (or at least the light on keypad turns off) but the scene lights remain active and so do all the glitchy lights until I either hit another keypad button (any button) or turn my headlight switch on off which changes the input of the day/night mode of the keypad.

***This scenario only occurrs if the truck is running This does not occur if the truck is in accessory or "on" without engine running***

All other secondary functions including cruise, dim, takedown and warning work as appropriate (except for that one white module)

My system is a feniex 4200 with whelen alpha, code 3 supervisor flex, 2 sound off ghosts in the grill, 2 whelen lin3 in the bumper spacer, 4 feniex t3s on an intersection bracket, 2 whelen talons and 2 feniex t3s in the rear window, 2 FireWire 60" rocker panel LEDs on the side, 1 FireWire tailgate light and 2 feniex t3s on the rear. license plate bracket

Slider L1 rear only
Slider L2 rear and side
Slider L3 all lights

Front LEDs except lightbar on same input
Lightbar warning on separate input.
Rocker panel LEDs on separate input for L and R
Rear window LEDs on same input
Tailgate and rear license plate on same input.

The breakout box for the supervisor is located next to the 4200 brains which is also next to the alpha amp all under my back bench seat.

The supervisor has 12 wires for 6 lightheads each dual color, and an additional ground and unused wire.
From factory the main lightbar cable runs to the breakout box and has male female connectors halfway. He told me he soldered those connections and extended the cable and is sure they are good. The lightbar cable runs to the breakout box. From the breakout box there is a separate input plug which has seperate input for dim, cruise, scene, takedown, flash rate, flash pattern and finally level 1 level 2 level 3 warning mode(which we tied together as we have the flash pattern and flash rate on momentary buttons).

The breakout box has a main power and ground which I know he connected to the main input coming to the 4200 and he made and fused the connections before the 4200 connected. I asked him if this could be the problem, he stated no.

On Saturday he is going to help me take down the passenger side of the lightbar to make sure there is no problems inside the lightbar cover to see if we can resolve the white module issue as the module that is out is located right next to the entrance of the main cable. We are also going to try and troubleshoot and fix the scene light issue. My 2 cents is that it is a voltage issue perhaps because the breakout box is sharing power with the feniex controller. He stated that the main power feed should be more than enough for all.

I have already reporgrammed the controller twice and remapped the scene light input to make sure it wasn't a bad read/write.

Thoughts or help is always appreciated

Last edited:

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
Before you remove power to the 4200 check the voltage on the output(s) that the lights are coming on dim with when the scene mode is on. It's vital you test it before power is possibly removed from the 4200, especially if it's the 4200-dl version. I've had a 4200-dl glitch for a customer, it was shutting off outputs on a timed input circuit regardless of if the input was active or not. After I removed power and hooked it back up the controller started working perfectly again, not sure how long it will continue working. After you check the voltages try removing power from the 4200 for several minutes. Then see if the problem still exists.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
For the SuperVisor, disconnect the wire that feeds the non-functioning lighthead and give it straight 12 volts to see if it lights up. The SuperVisor is my favorite visor light, but I have had various issues with it. As for the other issues, check what others said about the 4200. Sounds like a serious voltage/ground issue.

jdip

May 26, 2010
Mooresville , NC
Will try that as well on Sat. When we drop the passenger side of the bar down. I suppose if the lighthead is shot we should just pull the bar OOS from my truck (at least the passenger side) to send it back or will code 3 just send a replacement lighthead

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
I was rereading your original post. So you have the supervisor power wires run into the terminal block on the 4200? The supervisor should be fused separately. I think you may have the wire pinched for that white module and its shorting to ground.

jdip

May 26, 2010
Mooresville , NC
Supervisor control box power wires are fused after they branch from main power before it connects to the 4200.

Anyways all issues have been resolved. Since the glitch issue was intermittent I'll have to monitor it before i can say it's gone however we found the data cable for the control head for the 4200 got pinched in trim clip.

As for the module we removed the bar and the module. It was not getting power on white but it was on the red. Module was fully functional on independent 12v test. Found the lightbar to supervisor control box cable was damaged near where my back seats fold up. Cable was repaired and re routed and is all aces now.

I'll keep everyone updated as to what happens with the scene light and warning light glitch but it seems to be resolved in the testing. I'll check back in a week

Thanks for everyones help.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davegrn

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.