New to this LED thing...

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
Ok I'm old school, I like my rotators and halogen flashers but I just bought s bunch of LEDs and boards that I'm playing with. I'm at a point now that I need a way to control them. I've seen these LEDs flashing in multiple patterns such as random quad flash whatever :roll:

Does anyone make a flasher that does quad alternating? I'm assuming the answer is yes but I just haven't found them, probably due to me not knowing the correct name of it. I'm thinking something like a standalone flasher like the old Code 3 RDK flashers...

Thanks and I'm sorry for being such a noob...

RickLBZ

Sep 9, 2010
Miami, Fl.
The Whelen ULF44 should have what your looking for, it has 62 patterns. So if you've seen a Whelen light with the pattern you like this has it.

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
RickLBZ said:
The Whelen ULF44 should have what your looking for, it has 62 patterns. So if you've seen a Whelen light with the pattern you like this has it.

+1. Check with hpd84, he might have something else that will do the trick.

Set your lighthead to steady burn (unless it is a steady burn only unit) and then connect them to the flasher. As a beginner it will take you a little bit of time to figure everything out but you will get the hang of it.

rsqemt911

May 25, 2010
Naugatuck Ct
and if your light ISN'T steady burn, it probably has that pattern in it already. post on here what kind of light it is and we can tell you how to accomplish this

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Whelen's CometFlash should suit you just fine for a quad style flash. It's standard in just about every LED light they produce.

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
Thanks for the info guys :)

Like I said, I bought a bunch of LEDs, resistors and boards to build my own lights.

Each light will consist of 2 or 4 rows of LEDs 20 per row all 10MM Red and Yellow.

The red and yellow will be separate circuits.

This is a rough idea of what I'm building, I know it's plain but hey it's my first attempt at making anything for "EVL".

First Light.jpg[/attachment:3de9fjxu]

First Light.jpg

sephora99

Oct 6, 2010
Connecticut, USA
Ahh, I think we all figured you were talking about having bought LED light heads pre-assembled with controller and everything. In your case you are going to have to look more in the circuit design and electrical engineering departments. I have known a few guys that did this but they actually wired their own controllers with EPROM chips and their own custom programmed flash patterns. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
Yea I'd like to try and figure out how to build my own flasher, seeing that I'm building the light heads, but I'm not opposed to buying a new flasher either :)

Sometimes I get these ideas in my head, plan them out, maybe buy some parts and start on it but it ends up taking a back seat. I know I will figure this out and finish them at some point.

I've got the boards drawn up and ready to make, I just need to find the right stuff to actually make the PC Boards :lol:

That along with 2 light bars I need to finish restoring and a PA20 that I am having trouble locating parts for... :roll:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.