New York State Police 2014 Dodge Charger

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I like the Chargers. I personally never understood how they came up with the rear inboards color config on the Libby though. I think their rear deck dominator should be set to flash slowly (like FHP's units) when it is in park and the trooper has not activated a specific TA direction

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I also do give them credit for finally going with a larger grill light (than TIR3 mounted in the grill on older units) and finally spec-ing intersection warning in the recent years. The only thing that I think these rides can still use, though, are mirrorbeams on all NYSP marked units (not just on the slick tops)

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I also do give them credit for finally going with a larger grill light (than TIR3 mounted in the grill on older units) and finally spec-ing intersection warning in the recent years. The only thing that I think these rides can still use, though, are mirrorbeams on all NYSP marked units (not just on the slick tops)
I've always wondered why the NYSP never seemed to like intersection warning. I think that mirrorbeams would be cool but possibly overkill. I think a good pair of LAW's in the headlights would be good alongside the HLF and the four pushbumper lights. 

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
The 2014 Interceptors that are in service also have the mounted vent IONs in addition to the side pushbumper and lightbar or if it's a slicktop instead of a lightbar it has ION mirrorbeams.

Here is the evolution of the SP cars in recent history with the oldest being the top and newest on the bottom

1G25.JPG

1G62.JPG

G111new.JPG

2G56.JPG

2E14.JPG

3G43.JPG

2G98.JPG

G110new.JPG

1T31new.JPG

4T70.JPG

G11new.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: firedude

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I've always wondered why the NYSP never seemed to like intersection warning. I think that mirrorbeams would be cool but possibly overkill. I think a good pair of LAW's in the headlights would be good alongside the HLF and the four pushbumper lights.
I don't think it'd be overkill. I don't find LAWs effective up front in the Chargers b/c of the layout of the housings, so I don't think people should waste their money with anything there except the HLF
Still cant understand the switch from Avengers to Star DLXs.
Was that just a trial, or are they definitely going with the Star windshield lights on all new slicktops?

JaBradt85

May 23, 2010
Albany, NY
The Chargers are getting them in the front, the Interceptors are getting an avenger on the dash a star on the passenger side next to the rvm.

cgb

Sep 20, 2012
Long Island, New York
1L9 was just replaced with a slicktop FPI down here recently. I just saw it lit up today for the first time. It's got red/blue hideaways in the tails/reverse lights in addition to the R/B 'from-factory' ION's and the Dominator on 'scatter' pattern. Couldn't get a read on the front lights as it was in rear-only mode.

Has anyone figured out what the rear lighting on the slicktop Chargers is like? From all the pictures I've seen of them it seems they've only got the TA and taillight wigwags...

And another thing I noted: the inner modules on the CVPI in that video are on a different pattern. There's a CVPI in my local troop that is set up the same way, albeit with a little bit slower wigwag on the inner modules. I wonder if they're messing with the Libbys now too.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
1L9 was just replaced with a slicktop FPI down here recently. I just saw it lit up today for the first time. It's got red/blue hideaways in the tails/reverse lights in addition to the R/B 'from-factory' ION's and the Dominator on 'scatter' pattern. Couldn't get a read on the front lights as it was in rear-only mode.

Has anyone figured out what the rear lighting on the slicktop Chargers is like? From all the pictures I've seen of them it seems they've only got the TA and taillight wigwags...

And another thing I noted: the inner modules on the CVPI in that video are on a different pattern. There's a CVPI in my local troop that is set up the same way, albeit with a little bit slower wigwag on the inner modules. I wonder if they're messing with the Libbys now too.
Slicktop PIs have the factory IONs on top with the custom 8 head dominator on the deck along with vertexes in taillights. Headlights also have vertexes on both lightbar and slicktop vehicles. Chargers in the rear have a weird glassmount for the IONs above of the directional bar. All new cars slicktop or not are being installed with a lightbar quick disconnect. And when I say a custom dominator it is because Whelen produces a custom 8 head dominator for the New York State Police which has 3 spacers in between each tir3. All troops are different because they do their own installs at each troop headquarters, like Troop T and F they add lights to their cars.

1L9 has been switched out to a couple new PIs that haven't been fully installed with radios or CENCOMs it might be an unused plate. Also 1L21 was the same way with the plate on different vehicles recently when it was up here.

1L21.JPG

Reactions: cgb

cgb

Sep 20, 2012
Long Island, New York
1L9 used to be a slicktop CVPI that I saw around here quite often (South Nassau). It might have found a permanent home on the new [blue] FPI as the roof is also marked 1L9. 

So the Chargers DO have IONs in the rear? Huh. I haven't seen any in the (few) pictures I've seen. Have yet to see a slicktop Charger in person either. Still, that seems kind of lacking compared to the old dual Avenger setup. Looks like 1L21 has one of those Star products in the upper windshield too.

Also, I had no idea the Dominators were custom spec'd. Very interesting that they're installing quick disconnects too. I wonder what the reasoning is behind that. Taking a cue from CSP maybe? 

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I've also seen a few NGPIs from troops G and L that have sidekick ions on both sick top units & units with liberties, but I haven't seen any consistent trend of which units are getting them

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I think the quick disconnect idea is for either build every car the same then decide about it being a slicktop or not or the other way around of turning a slicktop into a lightbared vehicle.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010

RDT Car 25

May 22, 2010
Milford, CT
What is in the center clear section on the Libby? It looks like TD and maybe a clear LED, but I have never seen on lit up in traffic.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Someone said above that the slicktop chargers have Star dash lights to the front.

Correct. I believe they stuck with Dual avengers on the dash and (for some reason) went with Star SVP for the headliner. Even though it's bulkier, the Dual avenger is a hell of a lot brighter

What is in the center clear section on the Libby? It looks like TD and maybe a clear LED, but I have never seen on lit up in traffic.
It's 1 clear Libby inboard flanked by a pair of LR11's. I believe they have it set on a park kill

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
Correct. I believe they stuck with Dual avengers on the dash and (for some reason) went with Star SVP for the headliner. Even though it's bulkier, the Dual avenger is a hell of a lot brighter

Why didn't they just go with a full or passenger-only visor bar?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Why didn't they just go with a full or passenger-only visor bar?
No idea. Remember, the people that spec out these vehicles or do the installs aren't "informed whackers" like us. i.e. My fire dept's shop installed legacy duos on all the brand new 2016/2017 Tahoe Battalion Chief and F350 EMS Captain vehicles, but they still only use outdated TIR3's and TIR6's for perimeter warning (out of about 2 dozen mechanics, nobody figured out that it might be time to update the perimeter lighting packages and that the bright M-series lightheads on our engines, rescues, & aerials would prob be a good idea)

Remember, it was only in the last few years that NYSP started to add side/intersection warning to their relatively basic setups, so they're def not leading the way like some other state LE agencies (mostly state highway patrols) are with testing and research

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
The CITE Tahoes and Utilities have full interior bars and an avenger or Star dashlight, the most recent batch of slcktops have the Star Starburst Mini-Phantom on center low and one high passenger side. Also hirise bars are on a few cars. The slicktops have always been like that with only the 2 Talons or Avengers. And they are reusing the old Liberties, both with the LR11s and the halogen takedowns, also thatis a clear pod in between the takedowns. Lights also depend on which troop your're in, some add more lights then the basic, take F107 on the bottom with strip lights on the fornt bumper, added pushbumper lights, and you can't see but a cheesy 4 head linear light on the dash.

Attachments

• 27264550792_4b6c0c7c2b_k.jpg
    27264550792_4b6c0c7c2b_k.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 33283079242_a1de3d9fd5_k.jpg
    33283079242_a1de3d9fd5_k.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 34938360490_0311569f60_k.jpg
    34938360490_0311569f60_k.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 27380777236_8c9f39ee0a_k.jpg
    27380777236_8c9f39ee0a_k.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 34546138900_84deea8863_k.jpg
    34546138900_84deea8863_k.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 106

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
There was a brief period when they were buying fords, chevys, and dodges b/c they were testing all of them, so you'll see a mix of them in central NY

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Yea, judging by the fact that there are blue PIs I'd assume they went with them for a little bit then switched to Dodge.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
afarm5.staticflickr.com_4495_37693970402_caf2a0c6b5_k.jpg1G27
New York State Police are going back to the Chevrolet Tahoe's and are ordering them in Blue.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I don't think it'd be overkill. I don't find LAWs effective up front in the Chargers b/c of the layout of the housings, so I don't think people should waste their money with anything there except the HLF

Was that just a trial, or are they definitely going with the Star windshield lights on all new slicktops?

I agree on the LAWs if you cant see them more than 40 feet away don't spend the money on them they are just cool toys that look nice when you stand next to them but have no real warning power on the street.

Reactions: StEaLtH2

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.