Newb wiring up a Wolo

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
The power supply you've linked is rated to supply only 2 amps at 12 volts. It's insufficient for that beacon.

Each of the two sealed beam lamps requires nearly 5 amps, plus substantially more instantaneous current when first switched on. The motor will also require about 1 amp, and several amps for a moment when first switched on.

With that said, using a small 12-volt alarm panel battery would be sufficient to run the beacon briefly, and the power supply you linked would probably be fine for charging the battery.

Trebeck

Jun 13, 2020
Canada
Hey Shues
Thanks so much for the wisdom. I'd love to run these off a power bar inside my arcade. Can you recommend a power source?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
@shues that lil power supply doesn't provide charging voltage. Chargers are 13.8 - 14.7 if it's only straight 12v it wouldn't get a battery past the point of dead :)

Trebeck

Jun 13, 2020
Canada
Could a wonderful person point me in the right direction and show me a good power supply I can use? Any favorite online stores or is Amazon just as good?

Thanks all

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
I use computer ATX power supplies you can get them pretty cheap that can provide plenty of amps on 12 volt plus can supply a good amount of juice on 5 volt as well for driving 5 volt devices in the arcade cabinet i drive full lightbars among many other high current 12 volt devices via computer power supplys the beauty is they are standardized so replacement is a standard off the shelf part thats easy to find

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.