Newbie Aerodynic questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giggler

Nov 5, 2017
england, uk
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I've been wanting an old aerodynic since I first saw them on youtube and have noticed there are a few on ebay.

1). I was reading about them on the web before I came across this forum. How can I tell if someone is selling a fake aerodynic? The ebay listings very often dont show model at most end plates. I can ask questions but I'm not 100% sure what to ask or look for?

I would really love to have a chips model 24 lightbar, I played a series and it looks like red/blue, rotators move together with a amber on rear of red, i think flashing and white ally lights.

2). What is a fair price? I have spoken to a guy who wants $550 + $150 to swap a lense making colours correct. Shipping on top.

3). Is there some common problems I should ask about first?

Regards

dc

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Aerodynics? What are those.. sound like newfangled blinky thing!

So answering some questions in order..
1.) Fake Aerodynics.. I'm down if you can find one. In this instance I am assuming your talking about China junk. I have yet to see one personally and would actually like to Add one of these to my collection.

Chips Aerodynic? Ok I wasn't aware the Aerodynic was really used in this series I remember seeing the Twinsonic CTS (disclaimer I have seen maybe 3 episodes). Anyone care to provide reference so I can see what they used? The model you describe sounds like a 24EA or 24EAH... basically a gear synched aerodynic with (E)ndlamps and (A)lleys.

The bar below is a 24EH no alleys but setup in a common CA configuration.

2.) Price is subjective... new domes are not cheap your looking at $300-$375 just for a replacement set. This does not include locating the alley inserts for the alley lights.. Red can be found but Blue is getting to be near mythical status to locate. And then there is the bar itself... prices on these have been rising. $700 for a bar however is getting out of hand.

3.) Common problems... Idler and reflector gears that are worn and skipping and the clutch gear are common points of failure. Idler and reflector gears can be found pretty readily.. clutch gears on the other hand not so much.

Reactions: Tony P

giggler

Nov 5, 2017
england, uk
Almost sounds like giggler is talking about a California Twinsonic the way he describes it.

Hi. Thanks for your collective replies. I do like twinsonic's in chips tropper cars but it is aerodynic

So perhaps its a good price if I can get the seller to confirm gears and clutch good.

I was worried as I was told the blue lense is new that I'd be paying for, I figured perhaps its a copy.

Regards

giggler

Nov 5, 2017
england, uk
That is the Dukes of Hazzard, not CHiPs.

You know I couldn't understand why Twinsonic was mentioned. Re-reading my original post, wow I mentioned chips not DoH - sorry. Other half was waiting on me and I didn't want to say I was thinking of buying another light.

giggler

Nov 5, 2017
england, uk
Aerodynics? What are those.. sound like newfangled blinky thing!

So answering some questions in order..
1.) Fake Aerodynics.. I'm down if you can find one. In this instance I am assuming your talking about China junk. I have yet to see one personally and would actually like to Add one of these to my collection.

Chips Aerodynic? Ok I wasn't aware the Aerodynic was really used in this series I remember seeing the Twinsonic CTS (disclaimer I have seen maybe 3 episodes). Anyone care to provide reference so I can see what they used? The model you describe sounds like a 24EA or 24EAH... basically a gear synched aerodynic with (E)ndlamps and (A)lleys.

The bar below is a 24EH no alleys but setup in a common CA configuration.

2.) Price is subjective... new domes are not cheap your looking at $300-$375 just for a replacement set. This does not include locating the alley inserts for the alley lights.. Red can be found but Blue is getting to be near mythical status to locate. And then there is the bar itself... prices on these have been rising. $700 for a bar however is getting out of hand.

3.) Common problems... Idler and reflector gears that are worn and skipping and the clutch gear are common points of failure. Idler and reflector gears can be found pretty readily.. clutch gears on the other hand not so much.

Are the lenses modular? like do the Amber rear sections clip together, so if I got a 4 section red could I buy an Amber later, remove a red and clip the Amber to the back?

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Are the lenses modular? like do the Amber rear sections clip together, so if I got a 4 section red could I buy an Amber later, remove a red and clip the Amber to the back?

With some patience and understanding how these domes fit together.. yes.
The dome would need to be disassembled and then the new segments would need to be silicone'd back in place.

I would recommend taking the easy route though and just buying the configuration you want... save yourself the headache if not familiar with it.

giggler

Nov 5, 2017
england, uk
Oh another question. Some of the lightbars seem to have bulbs with reflectors while others have like par36 bulbs that rotate. Why was there this difference? Is there anything in the look resulting from par36 making it a nicer lightbar? Which design is older?

Regards

dc

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Aerodynics come in many different revisions over the years from sealed beam, to synched reflectors, to independent rotators and finally LED.
This allowed the bar to stay relevant for the 30+ years the bar was still produced.

As for look... that's personal preference see below.

I'm not 100% but the synched gear version was the first version of the Aerodynic made and almost soon after the Aerotwinsonic debuted.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I would have thought the Aerotwin came first as a progression from the Twin, but I can also see how it could have come after the Aerodyn as an afterthought- hey let's stuff a Twinsonic into the Aerodynic and see what happens

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I would have thought the Aerotwin came first as a progression from the Twin, but I can also see how it could have come after the Aerodyn as an afterthought- hey let's stuff a Twinsonic into the Aerodynic and see what happens

As I said I am not 100% on that.. however all the Aerotwins I have, and worked on that I could read a build date on read early to Mid 80's. On the contrary I have several Aero's that read 77-79.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.